GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Discuss: 7-speed DSG in 2019-2020 MK7.5 GTI

K3RMIT

Passed Driver's Ed
Coming from a 2011 MK6 with a 6-speed DSG, it has been surprising how different the new DSG is. Since many more of the 7-speed GTIs are in the wild at this point, how does everyone feel about its programming? I've done some searching on this topic, but most of the discussions are a year old or more. Some are happy with how it drives, others are not so happy, to say the least. I'm not sure if everyone is used to it by now, but I cannot express how different it acts compared to my 2011.

Pros: Much better in traffic for a daily driver; Smoother all around; Fuel economy (if you care, I really don't)
Cons: Very long kick-down delay; Lugs the engine more due to extra gearing for fuel economy; Slower shifts when not driving aggressively (this bugs me the most)

Would I switch back if I could? ....I'm just not sure that the Cons override the Pros. Thoughts?

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
I think vw made the 7 speed drive more like a traditional automatic in response to all the complaints from non enthusiasts who bought a Gti because they thought it was cute. Running the Cobb Sport time on my dq381 currently and now the car drives like it should have from the factory.

K3RMIT

Passed Driver's Ed
I think vw made the 7 speed drive more like a traditional automatic in response to all the complaints from non enthusiasts who bought a Gti because they thought it was cute. Running the Cobb Sport time on my dq381 currently and now the car drives like it should have from the factory.
Yes, this is very logical, and I have considered this as well. I just scanned the Cobb DSG tune website, and see no mention of support for the 7 vs 6-speed. How did you find out that it was safe to tune the 7-speed? And did it bring back the DSG farts? (I forgot to mention that as a con for the 7-speed.)

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Yes, this is very logical, and I have considered this as well. I just scanned the Cobb DSG tune website, and see no mention of support for the 7 vs 6-speed. How did you find out that it was safe to tune the 7-speed? And did it bring back the DSG farts? (I forgot to mention that as a con for the 7-speed.)

They released the 7 speed tunes around New Years. Farts are back. The transmission shifts so slowly originally that you didn’t get to hear them.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
The only characteristic I like about the 7 speed is that it rev matches well in braking. Otherwise, in D it drives like a CVT. In S it drives like a more performance oriented CVT. I basically manual shift 100% of the time. Sometimes the up shifts are quick, sometimes not, depending on where you are in the powerband.
The ZF 8HP on my 430i drives more like a DSG than the 7sp on my Mk7.5 - it upshifts harder and faster and does equally well on the downshifts.
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a23367341/automatic-transmission-best-zf-eight-speed/

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Have had several MK7/2018 DSGs and now, 2019 DSG. As good a ‘normal’ customer as any to comment IMO. I love the 7 speed and think it’s better in every aspect. Both 6sp and 7sp are very good devices. Both do shift up too early in D for fuel economy.

Last edited:

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
They released the 7 speed tunes around New Years. Farts are back. The transmission shifts so slowly originally that you didn’t get to hear them.
The Cobb sport tune makes the 7speed pretty great, only complains would be that it still hold and upshifts to 2nd to fast and ACC shift logic is stock. Manual part to full throttle mid-high rpm shifts are firm and it kinda pops but does not have those drawn out DQ250 farts.
So all in all good.

scasey

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI
This is the first automatic I have owned and the two things that bug me were mentioned, in D it seems to lug the engine just driving around town, I wish the downshifts were more aggressive, but a bit less so than S. The kick down seems really slow to me. I drive in S most of the time now.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
For tooting around town, I've kind of annoyed the starting from 2nd gear deal this transmission does. Prior 6 speed transmission and all the regular 8 speeds do the normal routine. Start from 1st, start shifting as you increase in speed. The 7 speed starts off from 2nd unless you give it a ton of throttle, making it feel like its doing a lot of slip to take off from a stop. Left paddle flip or manual mode makes it feel more normal, but its pretty weird.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
For tooting around town, I've kind of annoyed the starting from 2nd gear deal this transmission does. Prior 6 speed transmission and all the regular 8 speeds do the normal routine. Start from 1st, start shifting as you increase in speed. The 7 speed starts off from 2nd unless you give it a ton of throttle, making it feel like its doing a lot of slip to take off from a stop. Left paddle flip or manual mode makes it feel more normal, but its pretty weird.
My 6 speed DSG occasional starts from 2nd as well in daily driving. Not that I mind because the TCU slips the clutches fairly well. Besides isn't this the beauty of a DSG transmission? Savagegeese said it best, for the Porsche PDK in the Macan S anyways. Under normal driving, it acts like a regular transmission. Drive like you mean it and it's blazing fast and absolutely wonderful. I'm sure VW designed and programmed the 7 speed DSG to be similar to the PDK. VW does own Porsche after all.