GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Discuss: 7-speed DSG in 2019-2020 MK7.5 GTI

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Doubling the service interval to 80k is a nice bonus as well. On my MK6 6-speed, I decided to do my own DGS service at 80k, but paid $600+ to have the dealership do the 40k service.

I couldn't go 80K miles on changing the fluid regardless of what VW says. You way overpaid to get your MK6 DSG service done. My dealer does that for $350.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Same.

K3RMIT

Passed Driver's Ed
I couldn't go 80K miles on changing the fluid regardless of what VW says. You way overpaid to get your MK6 DSG service done. My dealer does that for $350.
Yeah, learned my lesson on the DSG service. May have been closer to $400 thinking about it more. Either way, too expensive.

hopelessfish

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Skoda Octavia RS
@JWTS The DQ381 in the R is programmed differently to the GTI, I've driven both and in the R it behaves a bit more like the old 6 speed in that part throttle shifts are fast and it has the dsg pops between gears. The DQ380 is literally programmed to act like a CVT unless you're properly thrashing it

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
@JWTS The DQ381 in the R is programmed differently to the GTI, I've driven both and in the R it behaves a bit more like the old 6 speed in that part throttle shifts are fast and it has the dsg pops between gears. The DQ380 is literally programmed to act like a CVT unless you're properly thrashing it

Interesting. I’ve never driven a dq380 but I wouldn’t say my dq381 felt anything like a dq250, fwd or awd variant.

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I have had two (Canadian-spec) 2019 GTI Rabbits with the DQ381 and the factory programming definitely leaves something to be desired.

The DQ250 in my MK6 GTI felt noticeably more consistent in terms of how crisply it would shift. By comparison, the DQ381 feels great at times, and not so great at other times.

I have noticed on one particular stretch of road - roughly 30kms of tight twists with elevation up & down - the DQ381 seems to get lazy after it is pushed.

The road is mostly 3rd gear, down into 2nd at times, and 4th gear easy between turns. Driven in Sport mode, throttle response and shift quality noticeably decline with oil temps beyond 105 C, and the car has more of a CVT-like feeling. Both 2019s have exhibited these same characteristics, stock.

I have been emailing with TVS Engineering about their Stage 2+ DSG map. It is definitely not cheap, but everything I have read indicates that they are arguably the best in the world at what they do.

Anyone here running a TVS DSG map?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have had two (Canadian-spec) 2019 GTI Rabbits with the DQ381 and the factory programming definitely leaves something to be desired.

The DQ250 in my MK6 GTI felt noticeably more consistent in terms of how crisply it would shift. By comparison, the DQ381 feels great at times, and not so great at other times.

I have noticed on one particular stretch of road - roughly 30kms of tight twists with elevation up & down - the DQ381 seems to get lazy after it is pushed.

The road is mostly 3rd gear, down into 2nd at times, and 4th gear easy between turns. Driven in Sport mode, throttle response and shift quality noticeably decline with oil temps beyond 105 C, and the car has more of a CVT-like feeling. Both 2019s have exhibited these same characteristics, stock.

I have been emailing with TVS Engineering about their Stage 2+ DSG map. It is definitely not cheap, but everything I have read indicates that they are arguably the best in the world at what they do.

Anyone here running a TVS DSG map?
What's the price of the Stage 2 DSG tune? Is it less expensive if you've already bought the Stage 1 DSG tune?

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I’m curious about the gear being shown in the MFD. is that really only available through a tune? Or is it only the 7 speeds that can get it through a tune? My 2016 always had it. I know the car had a tune in it, but it was reverted to stock before I bought it. Never thought the DSG was tuned.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I’m curious about the gear being shown in the MFD. is that really only available through a tune? Or is it only the 7 speeds that can get it through a tune? My 2016 always had it. I know the car had a tune in it, but it was reverted to stock before I bought it. Never thought the DSG was tuned.
It must have been tuned. That is the only way to show the gear.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
It shouldn't stay.
Weird. I knew the car was tuned by the prior owner through IE. I contacted them and it was a stage 2 crackle, which it thankfully does not do and there's no way it still has a stage 2 in it currently, but he must have left the DSG tune? Is that even possible? I will have to touch base with IE and see. I may need to buy a powerlink and see what is going on.