GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

Discuss: 7-speed DSG in 2019-2020 MK7.5 GTI

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
I have a lot of the same experiences but less gripes I guess. This is my second automatic (my other was a mk6 gti 6speed dsg) and it does feel like it shifts slower to me compared to the 6 speed. It's not terrible. If it bugs me more I guess I can tune the transmission. But that's something I'd really not want to do with the 2019s long warranty.

goodvibes

Ready to race!
I don’t have the 7 speed but would welcome another gear for the highway. Never understood why they don’t always make the top gear tall when they can. I know that sometimes you may not be able to.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Ride
2018 SE DSG
I don’t have the 7 speed but would welcome another gear for the highway. Never understood why they don’t always make the top gear tall when they can. I know that sometimes you may not be able to.
The 6 speed DSG has a relatively tall 6th gear. It only turns 2300 RPM at 75 MPH.

Chogokin

Drag Race Newbie
Ride
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I've got an older A3 with a manual. At 80mph...its at 3k in 6th. I wish that has a taller 6th gear.

Wastegate13

Drag Race Newbie
I doubt the car starts in 2nd but without the gear indicator you’re relying on you being able to feel it. I also think the pull away delay is designed to work with the start/stop feature so the car doesn’t jerk. I rarely use auto hold but now that I’m tuned it’s pretty abrupt when you press the pedal to take off from a light and not at all smooth like it was stock.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Should be easy for those with VAGCOM or OBDeleven to code the MFD to show the gear in D
Is that a thing? VAGCOM is on my very short list of "mods". Planned to get it anyways to silence the damn soundaktor (I can unplug it but figured I could use the software for other little changes here and there).

JWTS

Ready to race!
It's not, unfortunately. You need a DSG tune to have the gear displayed in D--this can't be changed via vagcom.

As far as the 6 speed vs 7 speed DSG's, I definitely prefer the stock 7 speed even over a 6 speed with a TCU tune; compared to the stock 6 speed DSG, I find it world's better.

Yeah, it shifts a little smoother, but it seems faster as well. I'm a lifelong manual guy, but I love the 7 speed DSG on my R. As far as the shift points, I don't really get the hand-wringing over it. In D, the shift points are fine most of the time, and when it's not I use the paddles. The nice thing about the 7 speed is that it holds manual mode a bit longer when you use the paddles in D. When you want to go back to auto mode, just hold the paddle when upshifting. I find the hybrid mode (driving around in D, and using the paddles as needed) to be the most enjoyable way to drive the car.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Ride
2018 SE DSG
Nope. Check again next time your out and about. You're off by over 10%. I wish it was around that. It would help mileage quite a bit.
Um I'm in my car ten hours per day so I know what RPM's it turns at 75. Mines an 18 if that makes a difference.