GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Discover Pro MIB1 hacking

KiwiS4

I have a Japanese mk7R in the UK and wanted to know how to change the software/firmware over to EU? I can't seem to find it online and the dealership won't touch the infotainment at my local one. I've been told it's just a software change to get the EU maps working. Any help would be awesome.
did you ever get this sorted?

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Hi all,

I'm in the process of trying to get more out of the Discover Pro MIB1, like people did with it's close cousin, the Audi MMI 3G. My ultimate goal is to enable features like Mirror Link.

NOTE: If you're reading this because you found this topic while googling to have your illegaly obtained media devices unlocked or installed: Don't ask me. Instead of asking me: Get a job, get your own cables and software and develop your own skills, or buy an Original Discover Pro at Volkswagen, because I will not support anything that smells funky to me.
Everyone else: please read on and feel free to ask any question.

I went through several Russian forums about hacking the MMI device. They found out the infotainment unit can be reached by using a USB-RJ45 adapter, scripts can be run from SD, Google earth can be enabled, et cetera. So I invested into a VCP pro cable, an USB-to-RJ45 adapter, and got to work.

So far, I've unlocked the engineering/testing/development menu in the Discovery Pro:

From this menu, several items can be accessed (this is a summary, there's more. If I find out how to make screenshots from inside the device, I will post all the screens here):
- The "magical" green menu. It's not as advanced as the Audi green menu, but it's something. I might be able to set certain settings to open this menu op for more possibilities.
- All kinds of tracing to SD. Development/test functionality. It even includes saving all spoken voicecommands to SD.
- Google Earth status/prefetching settings, etc. I didn't enable Google Earth features through VCDS/VCP yet, so I haven't determined if this is actually possible.
- "Alternative view" toggle. This adds a "Contacts" button to the main menu. The button isn't functional yet.
- "Alternative view plate" toggle. I have no clue what this did. Both of these Alternative views are in the "only HMI Developer" section.
- Skin change from normal to sport (can be done through VCDS as well, but this is more user friendly )
- Mirrorlink toggle. It adds a Mirrorlink to the main menu, but so far, it's not functional yet.
- Test screens: Font tests for all kinds of fonts.
- Enable bluetooth network tethering. I enabled it (I read that a lot of people already had this enabled), but since I don't have any on-line services enabled yet, I couldn't really see if this actually works.
- A LOT of diagnostic details about FM radio, DAB radio, TMC, etc. Makes it easier to troubleshoot problems with radio reception.
- Sound delay settings.

I hope to be able to tell/show you more in the near future!
Until then, here are some more screens of these hidden menus.
The famed "Green engineering menu":

Some overlays I enabled by pressing some key combinations on the Discover Pro:

The mirrorlink button enabled in the main menu (not functional... yet):

More to come soon. Please feel free to join me in this journey on discovering the Discover Pro, sharing your ideas, et cetera.

@Chillout sorry to bump such an old thread, I'm in the middle of trying to figure out why I can't get TMC data from my Delphi MIBII unit - I've found the TMC Tracing options in the GEM (mine is running v4.3) but when I push the button to trace to SD, nothing happens.

I've spent HOURS searching around for steps to pull logs from the MIB2 but coming up with nothing - not for a Delphi anyway. Did you need to change coding or enable any additional adaptations in order to make that work or was it like that from when you got into the green menu in the first place?