GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Disable Stock MK7 GTI Speed Limiter

TJGTI

Car(s)
2016 GTI
Hi Everyone!

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did some research and couldn't find anything similar.

I know that an ECU tune is required to remove the speed limiter on MK7 GTIs (2016 Manual). However, I don't want to deal with potential additional clutch wear or worse gas mileage from a high performance tune.

I was wondering if there are any options for a stock-replica tune that is just like stock, just without the speed limiter? If yes, do you have any suggestions for companies/devices that can do this kind of thing?

If this has been asked before, please just point me in the right direction!

Thanks!

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Some Cobb tuners have made maps for "pops and crackles" only, so I think something like this could be done albeit it's an unusual request.

@marauder - Any insight?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hi Everyone!

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did some research and couldn't find anything similar.

I know that an ECU tune is required to remove the speed limiter on MK7 GTIs (2016 Manual). However, I don't want to deal with potential additional clutch wear or worse gas mileage from a high performance tune.

I was wondering if there are any options for a stock-replica tune that is just like stock, just without the speed limiter? If yes, do you have any suggestions for companies/devices that can do this kind of thing?

If this has been asked before, please just point me in the right direction!

Thanks!

You only get worse fuel mileage with a tune because you drive it more spiritedly because of the increase in power. Drive like you do now and your MPG won't change.

How often do you want to drive above the speed limiter speed? You can't reach the speed limiter in a 1/4 mile race and to get a tune that only removes the speed limiter would be expensive for the few times you would ever go faster than the speed limiter speed. And if you're driving that aggressively your clutch won't last even on the stock tune.

TJGTI

Car(s)
2016 GTI
Hi,

Thanks for both of your responses! I'll look into the Cobb tune you mentioned.

Jimlloyd40, thanks for the info about the MPG, I hadn't realized that it doesn't impact efficiency if it's driven the same way. That's really good to know.

The primary reason for my original question is that I'm thinking of bringing it to Germany, where it could potentially be driven faster than the 125mph limiter for long stretches. I'm not planning to drive it agressively, but it would be nice not to be speed-limited on the Autobahn in case I need it, if that makes sense.

Thanks again!

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
May as well get a full tune in my opinion, clutch wear and and fuel economy is driver dependent. In many cases fuel economy during daily driving of tuned cars has improved for users.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
@blaqsheep is correct. I get better MPG with 416 HP then I did when it was stock. Tune or no tune you'll need a clutch at some point.

RTFM

Ready to race!
@blaqsheep is correct. I get better MPG with 416 HP then I did when it was stock. Tune or no tune you'll need a clutch at some point.
I’ll second this. On my work commute I got 34mpg stock, 37mpg tuned, and now 38mpg with IS38.

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
Hey @ TJGTI I work with Stratified Automotive Controls. We do custom tuning through the Cobb AccessPort we can create you a custom tune, or use one of our Flash style tunes to remove the limiter and give you a big bump in power while still retaining your factory clutch. By the sounds of it your on your OEM stock clutch with a manual. I've got 52k miles on my OEM clutch with 45k miles tuned and no slipping. We can dial the torque back to preserve the clutch. Regarding gas millage, you'll most likely see a slight bump of a couple mpg.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hey @ TJGTI I work with Stratified Automotive Controls. We do custom tuning through the Cobb AccessPort we can create you a custom tune, or use one of our Flash style tunes to remove the limiter and give you a big bump in power while still retaining your factory clutch. By the sounds of it your on your OEM stock clutch with a manual. I've got 52k miles on my OEM clutch with 45k miles tuned and no slipping. We can dial the torque back to preserve the clutch. Regarding gas millage, you'll most likely see a slight bump of a couple mpg.

Has Stratified been contacted by the EPA about the crackdown on tunes, downpipes and others?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
No we haven’t been contacted by them. Have you heard of others besides APR?

Haven't heard of a particular company except that a few other companies that were selling DP's had discontinued them. So I'm guessing that's the reason. I don't remember the thread name but the EPA letter sounded as though all tuning would be illegal also. Virtually any part that could alter the emissions.

echelonphoto

Ready to race!
Yeah, that autobahn can be challenging if you cant go above 125. I was in a rented 3 series at 132 and was being tailgated by a mercedes because I didn't have room to get over right away, wouldve be nice to get to 150. I have had cars pass me at what seemed like 200!