GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Disable Engine Start/ Stop Feature

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
2020 MY cars do not respond to the voltage/temp tweaks to disable S/S. Tried everything conceivable in the new Tig and no go. Read in a few places that they changed the S/S UBS protocols to prevent the easy work-around as so many folks were doing it. Evidently, big brother is real keen now on ANYTHING related to emissions and climate change contributions and is watching stuff like this so everyone falls in line and marches in step. I said fuck the assimilation and got the Ali one. Works like a "treasure" 😁.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't understand why everyone just doesn't unplug it from the side of the battery. It takes 5 seconds and it's free and requires no coding.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
I don't understand why everyone just doesn't unplug it from the side of the battery. It takes 5 seconds and it's free and requires no coding.
It's because of the annoying-ass warning that pops up. Kinda like putting electrical tape over the CEL so you can't see it 😁.

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
1.) because it’s nice to be able to toggle the system on and off with a persistent memory rather than a hack that permanently disables it
2.) because it’s nice to not throw codes or have errors on the dash
3.) because dv52 already explained why not to unplug the sensor from the battery https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...stop-system-anyone.314924/page-3#post-7379241

Despite your reluctance to believe #3 based on a perceived technicality with the terminology, I’m still inclined to believe dv52 and the official vw documentation

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It's because of the annoying-ass warning that pops up. Kinda like putting electrical tape over the CEL so you can't see it 😁.
The message only pops up once each key cycle. And it's gone in a few seconds and doesn't come on again until you turn the car off and back on.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
1.) because it’s nice to be able to toggle the system on and off with a persistent memory rather than a hack that permanently disables it
2.) because it’s nice to not throw codes or have errors on the dash
3.) because dv52 already explained why not to unplug the sensor from the battery https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...stop-system-anyone.314924/page-3#post-7379241

Despite your reluctance to believe #3 based on a perceived technicality with the terminology, I’m still inclined to believe dv52 and the official vw documentation
Because after driving 115,000 miles with literally none of the problems in the post you quoted he was wrong.

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
Because after driving 115,000 miles with literally none of the problems in the post you quoted he was wrong.
Sorry but your experience of n of 1 does not demonstrably disprove his post. As soon as you have a track record of understanding of the VW canbus at a level DV52 has shown time and time again, and can provide technical details on why your hack works without consequence, then I’ll hear you out. I unplugged a sensor and haven’t noticed any issues so it must be fine isn’t quite good enough for me.

What’s more curious to me is why you seem so intent on this. You post the battery disconnect advice on just about every start/stop thread. Then you will occasionally get defensive when people don’t want to do it. “I don't understand why everyone just doesn't unplug it from the side of the battery.” Chill out man, not everyone wants to do it that way.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Sorry but your experience of n of 1 does not demonstrably disprove his post. As soon as you have a track record of understanding of the VW canbus at a level DV52 has shown time and time again, and can provide technical details on why your hack works without consequence, then I’ll hear you out. I unplugged a sensor and haven’t noticed any issues so it must be fine isn’t quite good enough for me.

What’s more curious to me is why you seem so intent on this. You post the battery disconnect advice on just about every start/stop thread. Then you will occasionally get defensive when people don’t want to do it. “I don't understand why everyone just doesn't unplug it from the side of the battery.” Chill out man, not everyone wants to do it that way.
I understand that everyone doesn't want to do it that way. I only point out that it's the easiest and fastest way to do it and is quickly reversible. 115,000 is proof enough for me. If someone wants to code it out that's fine also.

And I post it in these threads so if a new person reads the thread he will know there's a free way to do it.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
i also know a guy that smoked for 30 years and never got cancer, that mean cigarettes don’t cause cancer?
Even the dealer thought it was a great way to disable it and when I asked the shop foreman about any potential problems he said none.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
The message only pops up once each key cycle. And it's gone in a few seconds and doesn't come on again until you turn the car off and back on.
And then you see the A for auto stop start on the dash still when you come to a stop. If youre happy with your solution, great. Not sure why it's hard to fathom someone else may want a different solution though

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I
And then you see the A for auto stop start on the dash still when you come to a stop. If youre happy with your solution, great. Not sure why it's hard to fathom someone else may want a different solution though
I understand. I think it's fair to point out to people that it can be done for free without having to buy an obdeleven, VCDS or Carista. The A only comes up on mine the first time I stop.