GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

digital slr for xmas, what to get?

NewaveRide

LOLOMGWTFEUROVERATED
Car(s)
07 VW Rabbit 2-door
so im looking to get a digital slr for x-mas. i cant ask for something insanely expensive like a nikon d80. i'm looking around the 500 range and i just wanted some opinions on the d40 and the canon xti rebel. also any others are more than welcome to be added

CalBoyTex

Banned
Car(s)
2006 GTI
You know, the D40 has been a favorite of mine since the beginning. They are cheap now, and are still an amazing camera. the Rebel is another one that is a great buy with similar performance as the D40. I would get one or the other depending on prices you find. unless you have a brand preference, id say the cheapest one you find wins.

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
both the D40 and the xti are both great entry level dslr's. it seems like you arent really brand loyal so i would highly suggest you consider your budget for lenses and pick accordingly. canon has great low, mid, and high priced lenses. nikon isnt quite like that yet. but whatever you do, BUY QUALITY GLASS...it will seriously make or break your pics. what are you planning on shooting with the camera?

BlueWabbit

back being low.
Car(s)
2008 VW Rabbit
ive been working with canon my whole i guess photography life (only 3 years) but its really personal taste. i personally have the xti and really enjoy it i picked it because of the reliabilty i have with canons since the two other cameras i worked it was film and found out to be user friendly and the 9 focus points do come in handy when i want to focus in on something different. but i would say it really depends on what kind of photography you want to do, than that would determine on what kind of lenses you need, having a different variety of lenses could really make photography enjoying. but just a word from a broke college student that lenses do cost pretty heffty on the wallet, so obviously when you are in the field for one shop around HARD but always try to get lenses that are from your cameras manufacturer.

recently taken over this past weekend for the SF car show. i have nothing special though pretty much how the camera came in the box and ran with it for now. hope it helps could think about what you want to do but just play with it a bit and you'll get used to it either any respectable camera brand you cant go wrong. its not like the person who is seeing your piece knows what kind of camera you used just something to think about.

EDIT:: i hate the left side of that picture just because i got that one guy in it haha and it was totally accidental since the flash went off and usually that really makes it look fugly but this one came out nice. but also on that note it makes photography really random and enjoyable because you never knew when that picture perfect thing might pop up. in the end just have fun with whatever you picked.

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
D40 is really limited in features. get a decent starter body and start INVESTING in glass. it's taken me 2 years or so now since i've had my XT. I bought a lot of the entry level stuff and now i'm looking to upgrade on the glass. once all that is done i'll get a new body.

BlueWabbit

back being low.
Car(s)
2008 VW Rabbit
new body already wow i'm pretty content with the xti's body but i've been actually saving up for car parts instead lol =X

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
the cheapest but also the best lenses to learn on and even shoot professionally are prime lenses. I won't go anywhere without my 35mm and 50mm f/1.8. They are super sharp for the price and its a great learning tool for DOF. I think those should be your first lens purchases.

Edit: also check out dpreview.com. You can compare the d40 and xti side by side

BlueWabbit

back being low.
Car(s)
2008 VW Rabbit
how much are you finding those kind of lenses for? since i've been seeing pretty expensive ones but probably dont know the right places to shop. oh btw hefty what kind of camera do you have?

ReflexMkV

mmmm Horse Pop
Listen to all the photo snobs refer to lenses as "glass". :laugh: J/P

You have gotten some really good advise from these previous posters. I am going to echo songmans post that the D40 comes up short on features. I would have to say given your choices I would go for the Cannon....And I shoot Nikon so that was hard to type. The thing is I know for a fact if you got the D40, after a month of using it you would want to upgrade. The lack of an internal focusing screw means you have to use AF-S lenses or no autofocus for you...which really sucks because there are a lot great lenses...err...glass :p out there that are not AF-S. I wouldn't be caught dead with out my flash command mode which means D80 or better for me. I guess it all depends on how far you think you are going to go with it. Like the other people said though, when it comes to SLR it's all about "Glass", and technique. A technically proficient photographer with a descent point and shoot can shoot circles around a lesser photographer with a brand new D300. That is something to think about. Whatever you choose make an informed decision. www.kenrockwell.com is an awesome site for information. I would start there. Good luck.

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
bhphotovideo.com and adorama.com are one of the most trusted sights amongst most photography forums ive been on. The 35 and 50mm f/1.8 should cost you no more than 125 each.

For me, I have a nikon D200...love it more everytime I shoot

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
i peronally hate ken rockwell..i read some of his reviews and though some are excellent, others just seem like hes talking out of his ass...can never really trust his words. i frequently go to dpreview.com forums and fredmiranda.com.

NewaveRide

LOLOMGWTFEUROVERATED
Car(s)
07 VW Rabbit 2-door
thanks for the input guys. ive done a lot with video and 35mm photography. i figured that since my mom doesnt want to get me car parts, ill use this oporitunity to get the slr. i'll prolly go with the xti and pick up a nice lens.

bhphotovideo.com is definately a great site

NewaveRide

LOLOMGWTFEUROVERATED
Car(s)
07 VW Rabbit 2-door
both the D40 and the xti are both great entry level dslr's. it seems like you arent really brand loyal so i would highly suggest you consider your budget for lenses and pick accordingly. canon has great low, mid, and high priced lenses. nikon isnt quite like that yet. but whatever you do, BUY QUALITY GLASS...it will seriously make or break your pics. what are you planning on shooting with the camera?

i plan on shooting everything really. i do a lot of wakeboarding and snowboarding and there cant be any greater places to get nice scenic shots and action shots then the lake or mountains. also i'll be taking lots of pics of cars as well. i have a background in graphic design so this camera will help me out a lot

NewaveRide

LOLOMGWTFEUROVERATED
Car(s)
07 VW Rabbit 2-door