GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Diggs24 Build Thread - "Tapioca XL"

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
BL PCV went on July 2019. 39k at that tme. Now it has 45kish. So it lasted 6k miles.
Hmm, not long at all. Technically pcv are a 10k maintenance item but since they 'only' impact emissions they're typically left off service lists. Granted, the materials for them have improved greatly so they really should last 30k under normal conditions. I wonder if the extra pressure is just wearing it out faster, or maybe after enough oil sloshes through it degrades? I didn't have issues on track for nearly two years (I did at autocross though), and then suddenly it was an issue when one day was particularly hot.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The OEM PCV has 39k on it, I'd say 10kish with the Tomioka and it only had very minor smoke puff issue on the clover leaf. It may have always done that and I never noticed. BL went on and it was the same so I was like "meh", but then I looked back one day and was like damn that's a lot of smoke. Then it was a smoke show on just a moderate right and I knew it had to come off.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
CP-E mounts are in. Not finished yet as I need longer bolts for the battery tray. Definitely needs a bit of development IMO. Can't properly torque some bolts. Coolant was definitely not that low before I started. A lot of moving that tank out of the way to get at bolts.

3/4" on a 5/8 spark plug socket works for a couple bolts on tranny mount. The other took some persuasion with my stubby 5/8" (apprarently don't have a stubby 16mm ratcheting...lame). I used a multitude of tools to get those suckers out. Gotta be just tall enough to clear the mount but not too tall because the plastic wire channel has limited movement.

Way off. I think I can persuade the front one but not the rear. Guess I'll go without.

Last edited:

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Upon further thought... The battery brackets are separate pieces and they tend to move when torquing the 16mms. Perhaps I should have gotten them hand tight and then set the battery tray in to ensure fit then torqued them down but that would require you to somehow hold them in place while torquing. Why they couldn't make the bracket one piece is beyond me.

Last edited: