GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Differences between the Clubsport S & 7.5 GTI Muffler

GE90

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi

I think we have established that the 7.5 GTI box is of a simpler design that the CSS (just like the standard GTI item), but based on the photos below, are the tips the same size at the CSS? Tips look the same shape/design?

I guess it will sound as standard GTI....?

MattB1

Ready to race!
Yes, the tips are the same size as the CS/CSS.

As for the sound, my guess is it will sound nearly identical to the stock mk7 GTI, there may be a subtle difference due to the larger tips. Certainly none of the reviews/comparisons I have read on the 7.5 GTI have reported any change sound wise. Would like to know for sure though.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
The tips don't really have any impact on sound - they are just cosmetic finishing pieces.

Given that the suitcase itself looks to be unchanged, it's more than likely that the internal structure remains unchanged as well. The Mk7.5 may sound slightly different due to the subtle bump in power, etc. But I wouldn't attribute any sound difference to the "new" muffler.

Moff2

Passed Driver's Ed
The above pictures are mine. I'm having a downpipe made and fitted sometime soon, and I have no qualms about cutting the top of the silencer open for a look inside. If I do, what do I need to have altered/removed for it to give me more of a CS sound? Or will I not know until we open it up?

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Most of us "assume" it is going to look like the inside of the 7 muffler which is significantly different than the CS/CSS. If you are changing the DP anyway I'd start there before trying to perform open heart surgery on the muffler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattB1

Ready to race!
The above pictures are mine. I'm having a downpipe made and fitted sometime soon, and I have no qualms about cutting the top of the silencer open for a look inside. If I do, what do I need to have altered/removed for it to give me more of a CS sound? Or will I not know until we open it up?

The main internal difference between the GTI and CS silencer is that the GTI one is baffled and the CS straight through.

GTI

CS

If you don't mind cutting open the silencer and experimenting with it it, if you were to cut back the perforated inlet slightly, put in T piece section between the inlet and outlet pipes, and drill (or holesaw) some holes in the baffle plates, you may end up with something that sounds cool. I don't know if anyone has tried anything similar with the stock GTI silencer before, so I have no idea what the end result would sound like.

leo

Ready to race!
After I'd watched several videos regarding stocking pipe+CSS muffler, I am starting to worried about the actual effect of this combination。It does not sound like anywhere near clubsport nor clubsports, its lack of the pop sound, know what I mean?
Buy the way, I am a Chinese GTI owner and sorry about my broken English.:D
Cheers

Jofa73

Passed Driver's Ed
After I'd watched several videos regarding stocking pipe+CSS muffler, I am starting to worried about the actual effect of this combination。It does not sound like anywhere near clubsport nor clubsports, its lack of the pop sound, know what I mean?
Buy the way, I am a Chinese GTI owner and sorry about my broken English.:D
Cheers

the "pop and crackle" you hear on CS cars is done by the ECU and only active in sport mode, exception is the dsg upshift farts.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
the "pop and crackle" you hear on CS cars is done by the ECU and only active in sport mode, exception is the dsg upshift farts.

And is specific ECU coding on CS and CSS models.

EmbeeCS

Is there any way that we could rewrite our ECU with that code

I wish we could do that!!! The Club Sports Muffler is ok on a manual I think. With automatic it is too much, I agree.

Does anyone have the facelift Muffler yet? Who will be guinea pig?

nype

Drag Racing Champion