GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Difference between MK7 halogen and MK7.5 halogen

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
My friend owns a MK7 with halogen headlights and wants to upgrade to the MK7.5 halogen (the ones with the DRL at the bottom):
1617859056909.png

I assume it won't be plug and play, since it's probably a different connector (can anyone confirm this?) -- and also is there anything else needed in terms of coding, modules, etc.

Thanks.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Swapping 7 to 7.5 requires replacing most of the front end as the fendors and such are different due to the design change. The lights changed shape during the facelift.

Unless you want to swap them for aftermarkets which will be LED or projector, don't think i've seen aftermarket halogen, just xenon copies for halogen replacement.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Swapping 7 to 7.5 requires replacing most of the front end as the fendors and such are different due to the design change. The lights changed shape during the facelift.

Unless you want to swap them for aftermarkets which will be LED or projector, don't think i've seen aftermarket halogen, just xenon copies for halogen replacement.

yeahhhh I forgot the bumper and housing shape changed

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Even if your buddy gets the 7.5 OEM halogens for free, it'd still cost more to swap all of the necessary components (bumper/fenders/etc.) versus buying aftermarket 7.5 style headlights.

Osram would be my vote for going aftermarket (because I have those, lol), but there are plenty of other good aftermarket lights that'll update the look of the lights from the MK7 to the MK7.5

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Even if your buddy gets the 7.5 OEM halogens for free, it'd still cost more to swap all of the necessary components (bumper/fenders/etc.) versus buying aftermarket 7.5 style headlights.

Osram would be my vote for going aftermarket (because I have those, lol), but there are plenty of other good aftermarket lights that'll update the look of the lights from the MK7 to the MK7.5
Yes but Helix and BEC are a step below Osram in overall quality. Osram IS an OEM light manufacturer, Helix and BEC are small businesses. I would take the OE quality aftermarket part over the “replica” any day

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Yes but Helix and BEC are a step below Osram in overall quality. Osram IS an OEM light manufacturer, Helix and BEC are small businesses. I would take the OE quality aftermarket part over the “replica” any day

Totally agree! That's why I went for the Osrams on my MK7.5, but if the OP's friend was looking to upgrade to the MK7.5 halogens I figured they may want to be aware of other options that would be cheaper than replacing all of their bodywork. The Osram's are pricey compared to OEM Mk7.5 halogens from ebay or the other aftermarket options as mentioned.

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
Totally agree! That's why I went for the Osrams on my MK7.5, but if the OP's friend was looking to upgrade to the MK7.5 halogens I figured they may want to be aware of other options that would be cheaper than replacing all of their bodywork. The Osram's are pricey compared to OEM Mk7.5 halogens from ebay or the other aftermarket options as mentioned.
Do you have a link to where these can be purchased?

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Thanks everyone! It's interesting to know the housing changed.

I do know Osram is the best option (I have ones myself), however he really wanted the halogens for some (odd) reason.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Do you have a link to where these can be purchased?

I’m away from my computer at the moment but you’ll see my links and others in the “Osram interested?” thread