GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Did you get crank walk with a dkm clutch? Get in here!!

Square1

Go Kart Champion
I’ve heard rumors of bone stock cars with under 1000 miles having crank walk, even 2018 & 2019.

This is third hand information, so take it with a grain of salt.

If it makes you feel better my personal car has 76k and dkm twin disk with no issues. I personally have only seen one crank walk and I’m in the industry (mk7 specifically)
That makes me feel better about mine. I'm not a big fan of these threads

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

abbas16

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks like I'm joining the crank walk group
Mk7 2016 r EQT vortex turbo with dkm clutch

Have had the clutch in for like 5-6k and it was fine

The other day the sounds the car made and the feel of the clutch pedal was all over the place

Today oil pressure warning went on for maybe 10 seconds and then was gone

Used obd11 and oil pressure sensor 3 or something, and I also noticed the clutch pedal feel change after right turns

Car is going in on Monday to get it diagnosed. Fingers crossed not too much damage [emoji30]

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Looks like I'm joining the crank walk group
Mk7 2016 r EQT vortex turbo with dkm clutch

Have had the clutch in for like 5-6k and it was fine

The other day the sounds the car made and the feel of the clutch pedal was all over the place

Today oil pressure warning went on for maybe 10 seconds and then was gone

Used obd11 and oil pressure sensor 3 or something, and I also noticed the clutch pedal feel change after right turns

Car is going in on Monday to get it diagnosed. Fingers crossed not too much damage [emoji30]

There's no "hope" or "not too much damage" with this. The engine is done. Just accept it and look for an avenue out. Sorry my man know the feeling.

abbas16

Passed Driver's Ed
There's no "hope" or "not too much damage" with this. The engine is done. Just accept it and look for an avenue out. Sorry my man know the feeling.
Cars going in Monday and they're gonna drop the oil pan and see what's up.

What I don't get is it drives perfectly fine, absolutely perfectly at times.

I drove the car today 3 times, first two times amazing, absolutely smooth no problem. The third time oil pressure light came on for like 5 seconds and went away and still drove fine. Called my mechanic and he told me to park it and flat bed it in on Monday.

I also thought it was also isolated to 2015 mexican gti's and mine is a 2016 Germany R.

Fingers crossed for monday.

What route did you end up going twist?

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Cars going in Monday and they're gonna drop the oil pan and see what's up.

What I don't get is it drives perfectly fine, absolutely perfectly at times.

I drove the car today 3 times, first two times amazing, absolutely smooth no problem. The third time oil pressure light came on for like 5 seconds and went away and still drove fine. Called my mechanic and he told me to park it and flat bed it in on Monday.

I also thought it was also isolated to 2015 mexican gti's and mine is a 2016 Germany R.

Fingers crossed for monday.

What route did you end up going twist?

gonna have to pm for that but let us know how it turns out.

abbas16

Passed Driver's Ed
gonna have to pm for that but let us know how it turns out.
PM'd and car will be looked at Monday morning

Luckily I also found a dealership that said they might be able to replace engine (if needed) under warranty [emoji1693][emoji1693][emoji1693]

abbas16

Passed Driver's Ed
Quick question about crank walk guys. I hope I'm understanding the concept correct.

If this is a rare inherent problem in a tiny amount of engines that is is exacerbated and brought on faster by a stronger clamping clutch, where does the problem lie?

As in if there is already a tiny amount of play in the crankshaft from factory, is the problem with the thrust bearings, crankshaft, or a problem with the bottom end?

Trying to understand the problem a bit better and how a potential rebuild might go.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
sorry to hear that... so after reading this whole thread... the only way to not get this "crank walk" is to never turn right?

/s

And/or get with the times, put on a pink shirt to get comfortable with it and just buy the proper/better/faster/sportier/logical transmission.

Last edited: