GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Did you get crank walk with a dkm clutch? Get in here!!

ILoveButter

Ready to race!
Its apparent that there has been quite a few thrust bearing failures in cars with the dkm twin disk and I'd like to get everyone together that it's happened to collect information and come up with a course of action. I suppose if this has happened to you then list your build date, whether you have the old or new throw out bearing, what steps you have taken so far to get this resolved, and any other info you think is important to add.

Mine is 11-17 build
"New" bearing x2
30k on the car
Less than 1k since the clutch install.

Thanks guys

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Its apparent that there has been quite a few thrust bearing failures in cars with the dkm twin disk and I'd like to get everyone together that it's happened to collect information and come up with a course of action. I suppose if this has happened to you then list your build date, whether you have the old or new throw out bearing, what steps you have taken so far to get this resolved, and any other info you think is important to add.

Mine is 11-17 build
"New" bearing x2
30k on the car
Less than 1k since the clutch install.

Thanks guys

How many is quite a few? There is a huge DKM thread here that probably hasn't been updated in a while but that's a pretty popular option. You can ask there also.

Edit: I have a 2016 R with a DKM Twin Disk. I've had it for 13k and have driven my car hard. I think my build date is 08/15 (my car, not sure if you meant clutch build date though). My clutch has a tendency to to randomly get stuck in gear when reversing (can't move the shift knob out of gear unless I repump the clutch or blip the throttle) or stop and go traffic. So it's mostly in 1st or reverse.

My DKM kit has the older FTE TOB I believe. Purchased it at the end of 2017.

I don't see any symptoms of crank walk though.

ILoveButter

Ready to race!
How many is quite a few? There is a huge DKM thread here that probably hasn't been updated in a while but that's a pretty popular option. You can ask there also.

Edit: I have a 2016 R with a DKM Twin Disk. I've had it for 13k and have driven my car hard. I think my build date is 08/15 (my car, not sure if you meant clutch build date though). My clutch has a tendency to to randomly get stuck in gear when reversing (can't move the shift knob out of gear unless I repump the clutch or blip the throttle) or stop and go traffic. So it's mostly in 1st or reverse.

Damn yeah that problem is the TOB. And I did mean the car,

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Twist1

Autocross Newbie

Take a sharp hard right hand turn and push pedal in right after car straightens out. If it sticks or feels different sorry baby.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Is the issue widespread? I have no idea, the DKM clutch does hold 660lbs which is damn good. But how much force is actually exerted on the crankshaft when the clutch is depressed? Perhaps premature thrust bearing failure could be due to starting the car with the clutch pedal depressed before good oil flow on a cold engine? Allowing the engine to turn over in neutral without the clutch pedal depressed would help in this case.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Take a sharp hard right hand turn and push pedal in right after car straightens out. If it sticks or feels different sorry baby.

I did this quite a bit when I was at Tail of the Dragon and the surrounding roads a few weeks back. Nothing you described above...as of yet. :confused:

Of course I do feel like my TOB is a ticking time bomb thanks to DKM using the FTE ones in their original kits.

Can't win I guess. Lol

TrueGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Is the issue widespread? I have no idea, the DKM clutch does hold 660lbs which is damn good. But how much force is actually exerted on the crankshaft when the clutch is depressed? Perhaps premature thrust bearing failure could be due to starting the car with the clutch pedal depressed before good oil flow on a cold engine? Allowing the engine to turn over in neutral without the clutch pedal depressed would help in this case.

Did I read somewhere that we are able to disengage the clutch safety start? If we would be able to start the car in neutral that would be great. Anyone have any info on this?

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Did I read somewhere that we are able to disengage the clutch safety start? If we would be able to start the car in neutral that would be great. Anyone have any info on this?

I wonder if this can be coded in OBD11?

Edit: You could install a momentary bypass switch in line with the clutch switch, I also wonder if you could make it so the bypass would only work in neutral as well. Basically an AND + OR gate setup.

Last edited:

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I wonder if this can be coded in OBD11?

Edit: You could install a momentary bypass switch in line with the clutch switch, I also wonder if you could make it so the bypass would only work in neutral as well. Basically an AND + OR gate setup.

This would be ideal so you can retain LC/NLS right? I guess with the clutch on start bypassed how can you set launch control or no lift shifting.

If this is what can prevent a crank walk...then I would be interested.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
This would be ideal so you can retain LC/NLS right? I guess with the clutch on start bypassed how can you set launch control or no lift shifting.

If this is what can prevent a crank walk...then I would be interested.

Agree, I may design something...this may be good for any aftermarket clutch long term.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Agree, I may design something...this may be good for any aftermarket clutch long term.

If you look in the other thread, I inserted another dummy clutch master cylinder and split the signal from the clutch line to go both the factory and this one, but the car wouldn't acknowledge any of them after turning the car on and I received an EPC code...I hope a bypass switch won't cause the same issue.