GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Did you get crank walk with a dkm clutch? Get in here!!

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Whatever signals the ECU looks for on startup just need to be emulated, this may not be easy and may require some custom circuitry to work properly.

When I tried using a second master cylinder/switch it basically sent the exact signals the car was looking for, and it still gave an EPC. I think voltage detection might also be a cause. I wonder if a relay would work in this case.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Just took the extra switch apart, lol there is no way I'm figuring this out

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
To add fuel to the fire, a local 17' GTI with the DKM twin disc crank walked 1,000KM after install. I believe it was a no go on warranty due to tune, $7K CAD Labour + Parts.

On that note, what options are the for DMFW clutch kits for a R. I know FCP's kit is a no go for R's. Only option I see is TTRS + RSR options?

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Note to self: Never buy a DKM Twin Disk :(

I wonder if it's the design of the twin disk flywheel (protrudes out compared to other SMFW's) and the combination of the force of the heavy duty pressure plate that is causing it to fail so fast. From the specs of this clutch kit, it has the power capacity of other brands that are in Stage 4-5 power levels, meaning it can happen with higher powered kits from other manufacturers.

If all signs point to a heavy duty pressure plate causing the issue, then how would the factory DMFW fare any better when fitted with a heavier duty DMFW compatible clutch kit?

dlau9

Go Kart Champion

I wonder if it's the design of the twin disk flywheel (protrudes out compared to other SMFW's) and the combination of the force of the heavy duty pressure plate that is causing it to fail so fast. From the specs of this clutch kit, it has the power capacity of other brands that are in Stage 4-5 power levels, meaning it can happen with higher powered kits from other manufacturers.

If all signs point to a heavy duty pressure plate causing the issue, then how would the factory DMFW fare any better when fitted with a heavier duty DMFW compatible clutch kit?

If I'm not mistaken it has more to do with the heavy clamping force vs. just the heavy plate on its on. But I could be wrong.

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
To add fuel to the fire, a local 17' GTI with the DKM twin disc crank walked 1,000KM after install. I believe it was a no go on warranty due to tune, $7K CAD Labour + Parts.

On that note, what options are the for DMFW clutch kits for a R. I know FCP's kit is a no go for R's. Only option I see is TTRS + RSR options?
FCP works for the R but you have to get the correct PP.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie

It's the combination of a VW fault during assembly, and the extremely powerful PP inherent to that twin disk design. Then switching to a SMFW, taking away the engines only external balancing for the crank is the icing on the cake.

To answer your question directly it is able to absorb much of that shock, whereas a smfw would transfer through the crank and therefore onto the bearings during cold starts (oil isn't locating).

Last edited:

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
It's the combination of a VW fault during assembly, and the extremely powerful PP inherent to that twin disk design. Then switching to a SMFW, taking away the engines only external balancing for the crank is the icing on the cake.

Are you talking of lateral balance? Because the DMFW isn't balanced with the crankshaft, at least I see no evidence of it or it mentioned in the service manual. I don't really suspect its the SMFW that is the issue, rather the higher rated pressure plates like the DKM.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Are you talking of lateral balance? Because the DMFW isn't balanced with the crankshaft, at least I see no evidence of it or it mentioned in the service manual. I don't really suspect its the SMFW that is the issue, rather the higher rated pressure plates like the DKM.

The dmfw IS the balancer. Along with the main source of shock absorption from the drivetrain and shaft violence.

Again, like I've said about six times now, it's not the smfw by itself, it's a combination of all these things.

I doubt you're going to find any specific tech details like this on paper, but I've done multiple clutch installs now, taken apart an oem dmfw, taken off the pulley to inspect it's contribution to balancing and Ive seen no indication of anything other than external balancing on these engines.

You can't argue with the facts. The fact is that dozens of these failures are now pipping up, mostly on the fb groups, and a solid 80% of failures are by users that have recently (within 10k miles) installed a smfw kit. They would've failed regardless however, it's just the increased thrust and unbalancing makes it accelerated.

I'd say if you have a 15 gti with a smfw or twin disk that's going on 15-20k miles since install I'd be willing to bet you're probably fine.

abbas16

Passed Driver's Ed
So it a problem that is inherent to the engine before the clutch is even installed am i correct? And I'm assuming this will not affect all engines as some won't have the inherent problem?

Is this a problem only on gti, or R's as well? R internals are different right?

Secondly, would a fluidampr help at all?

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Well now I'm just staring at my DKM twin disc wondering if I should even put it in.

2017 build, you will be fine.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Not to be fear monger, but OP is 11/17 build.

And mine crankwalked on stock clutch and stock power - 07/15 build though.

I had planned on getting SMFW when clutch starts slipping, but now I don't know what the heck to get after reading this thread...

The one that grenade on Twist was 2014 built but yeah it’s a tough call after everything that is going on...

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Just installed the Fluidampr crank pulley today....smoothed out the engine a lot. The chatter from the SMFW is still there, but the car vibrates a lot less. I'll be testing a cold start tomorrow with it.