GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Did you get crank walk with a dkm clutch? Get in here!!

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Just ordered some momentary switches, gonna see if I can figure it out. Basically gotta hook up Pin 2 and Pin 5 to the switch and hope for the best!

Last edited:

TrueGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Just ordered some momentary switches, gonna see if I can figure it out. Basically gotta hook up Pin 2 and Pin 5 to the switch and hope for the best!

Dude I'm very excited to find out what you come up with. Please let us know because I'm gonna jump on this like faster than a prom date!

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
waiting for DKM to roll up in here like Jon and Tony :cool:

It is 100 percent not dkms fault. It is VW mistake through and through.

Going forward I will be only recommending and installing dmfw kits on local mk7s.

Sorry all, but there's more to that design than just being "a heavy wheel for smooth clutch slips."

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx

Going forward I will be only recommending and installing dmfw kits on local mk7s.

Sorry all, but there's more to that design than just being "a heavy wheel for smooth clutch slips."

So this issue 'Crank Walk' has never happened on a stock manual yet?

I mean most people tune, then upgrade the clutch. SMF are popular upgrades which is what most people get.

DMF upgrade is an option but those tend to slip. Even HS Tuning recommends SMF if you plan to drag race at all...

All I'm saying is of course most people who have this issue will have a SMF...it's probably the majority that are tuned.

Just my thought. I see a lot of posts about this but it doesn't seem wide spread. Time will tell it seems.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion

I was researching other cars and other forums about crankwalk, and the the consensus seems that its main cause is from a heavy duty pressure plate. I'm only running a BFI Stage 3 which is basically a DKM Stage 2, the pressure plates aren't that strong compared to the twin disk DKM. It seems that the issue manifests quite quickly after the twin disk is installed.

I was messing around more with the clutch switch last night. I redid the wiring to shorten the length as I thought it had too much resistance and causing the issues I was facing with the EPC code, but no matter what the car did not like having 2 clutch switches installed haha. The clutch switch is magnetic and requires constant +12v/ground connection to function, so using it as a "switch" won't work. One thing I did find out was that pin #4 and #5 are the ones that cause the car to start when shorted together, pin #2 didn't do anything. When I get the momentary switches I will do some more testing.

One thing I do know: You CANNOT bypass the clutch switch completely, other things rely on it and it causes issues...so it either has to be coded out, or hopefully he momentary switch works.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
So this issue 'Crank Walk' has never happened on a stock manual yet?

I mean most people tune, then upgrade the clutch. SMF are popular upgrades which is what most people get.

DMF upgrade is an option but those tend to slip. Even HS Tuning recommends SMF if you plan to drag race at all...

All I'm saying is of course most people who have this issue will have a SMF...it's probably the majority that are tuned.

Just my thought. I see a lot of posts about this but it doesn't seem wide spread. Time will tell it seems.

I think a lot of it comes down to the heavy pressure plate that DKM uses. I personally don't think starting the car with the clutch out is going to save the crank. Oil does make its way to the thrust bearing, but it is not directed like the crank or rod bearings which helps spread the load. Also, I was looking at IE's engine builds and they still use the factory thrust bearings so its not like there is an alternative.

It is possible that the DMF absorbs some of the lateral movement, but I agree that a SMF is very popular and a lot more issues would have surfaced by now.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’ve probably got the highest mileage DKM twin disk in my 2016.

72,600 miles on the car, and I installed the clutch at 49k I believe.

So 23,600 miles including drag racing, daily driving in stop and go traffic and everything in between.

I’m pretty sure this issue is 2014 build date cars specifically, but on the other hand I’ve heard third hand of it happening all the way up to facelifted 2018s with zero mods. Hopefully a few dealer techs can chime in.

For what it’s worth I’ve installed this clutch in a 2015 S, my 2016 S, and a 2017 Sport...the 2015 crank walked a few months later, was covered under powertrain & continues to be driven daily on the new engine (2018 build date) with the DKM