GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Did not like a thicker sway bar

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
with just a rear bar i'm more prone to oversteer actually - in my 6. still on stock RSB in the 7 but with the ECS rear bar 'brace' which just made it sharper. Def no understeer. I would have to ask you how your tires are worn and rotated - if you have really bald tires up front maybe you could get that issue?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’d start with a $100-150 alignment, setting tire pressures and checking the tires you have for wear/condition.

$1500 would be on the extreme high end for new tires and an alignment

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
What tires are you using? $700 tires can actually be very good. Falken FK510 are about $700CAD in 225/45R17.

I can't comment on the installation of the rear sway bar, but I understand the H&R 26mm rear sway bar is actually very aggressive so you definitely shouldn't be understeering. It's one of the reasons why I went for the SuperPro rear sway bar and endlinks instead.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Ugh, somebody fucked up on that article. Take it to the logical extreme - stupid stiff, nigh infinite spring rate springs. In other words, a big block of steel. Is the car going to roll more or less than with soft springs?

You can also run it with more real numbers. Say you have a 250lb rate spring and 500lbs on each corner. Normal compression is therefore 2" on each side.

A turn moves 75% of that weight onto the outside wheels. You now have 750lbs on each outside wheel, and 250lbs on the inside. That means 3" compression on the outside and 1" on the inside, a difference of 2".

Now let's run it with 500lb springs. Now we have 1" of compression on each side when flat. Same turn, same weigh transfer (note: springs cannot affect weight transfer besides geometry changes from lowering!). Outside spring now compresses 1.5", inside spring only 0.5". A difference of 1".

You can see the relationship clearly - a stiffer spring will control roll in proportion to its spring rate.

Now, there are downsides to stiffer springs too - on a rough surface, you have less compliance, which means less traction. Not to mention ride comfort.

Also note that body roll is not necessarily bad, except as it relates to geometry changes in the suspension (something macpherson struts don't do great at). It might feel bad, but it's too often seen as the problem rather than a symptom.

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
There is no way a stiffer rear in the rear increases understeer. On these cars you can also change the VCDS settings, if you have that option. Tire pressures and alignment settings are also possible. Not played around with either on this car, I know the alignment settings are pretty limited.

I put the Eibach rear sway on mine, tweaked the VCDS settings and the understeer was reduced significantly. I also went with PS4 tires as the OEM tires became the weak point once the balance of the car was addressed. Putting on a stiffer rear sway may have just pushed the handling limits up to where your tires become the weak link?

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I have the vwr lowering springs I never did an alignment after I installed the springs, and tires are cheap 225/45/17

alignment changes when you change ride height.
maybe take it somewhere for a free measure and see what you have.

I changed from a stock golf rear bar to the GTI 22mm bar and the front pushed less, even on stock 195 width all seasons. You've got something unusual going on.

Did you do the springs at the same time as the bar? Are you now riding on your front bump stops? That could negate your change in bar.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I just installed my H&R rear sway bar on my Golf R and knew the balance would change somewhat (been driving RWD cars for a while) but was very happy to get much better front end grip and quicker transient response overall. One of the better upgrades.

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
sorry dont mean to hijack this thread, I'm about to pull the trigger on a 24/25mm rear swaybar.
I have all stock suspension other than Michelins PS4Ss, and the car is aligned right when new tires are on.

Will I have any issue? Do I need new endlinks?

Thanks!

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
sorry dont mean to hijack this thread, I'm about to pull the trigger on a 24/25mm rear swaybar.
I have all stock suspension other than Michelins PS4Ss, and the car is aligned right when new tires are on.

Thanks!
I would buy end links (I did for my set-up), the rear sway bar will increase the stiffness by 100% to 200% so all that force is gonna go through your plastic end links. They will last a while but eventually the plastic will break. I suggest Moog end links for $30 each or you can buy fancy ones that do the same job for $150 or more ;) You will have no issues if installed correctly.

WFox93

Passed Driver's Ed

Thanks!

I did the eibach 25mm bar when I was on stock suspension and did the moog endlinks as well. Speaking with someone in my autoX club who did the same size bar without endlinks he saw a noticeable improvement with them.

Order the moog endlinks from rock auto and they're like 25 or 30 a piece.

I'm with everyone else, there is something more to OP's understeeering. The only time my carundersteers is on gravel, snow, slick road in the rain or if I'm giving it too much in AutoX. I've never encountered understeer in spirited daily driving.