GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Did I just break my Diff?

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
I'm in the process of doing a clutch job on my PP GTI

All was going well until it came time to re-install the diff.

I was able to get the module bolted up, but the shaft on the passenger side seems to have separated from the diff.

I've tried spinning it, going in and out of the splines, gently tapping with a hammer, etc. Feels like it's butting up against solid metal with no give.

Has anyone delt with this before? Pic attached of what I'm talking about.

PXL_20201027_155708177.jpg

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
not having done this job before, have you tried putting the piece into the freezer for a while, to help thermally contract it a bit?

Would be odd, if a few of the splines have twisted over time and now it would only go together one way - in which case i would venture to say, yes, you broke it...

torroh333

Car(s)
2016 GTI
I had the same issue and thought I broke mine too. I found that when the diff is laying sideways like in your picture there is a lock ring that can fall down in its own groove and become very difficult to pass through to the groove where it sits in the diff housing - this is the bumping into solid metal you are feeling. It may be very difficult to get this lock ring to pass over the edge of the internal gear without taking it out and standing it vertical so gravity doesn't pull the ring down when pushing the axle back in.

Diff.png

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I'm in the process of doing a clutch job on my PP GTI

All was going well until it came time to re-install the diff.

I was able to get the module bolted up, but the shaft on the passenger side seems to have separated from the diff.

I've tried spinning it, going in and out of the splines, gently tapping with a hammer, etc. Feels like it's butting up against solid metal with no give.

Has anyone delt with this before? Pic attached of what I'm talking about.

View attachment 190012

Yes. Same exact thing happened when I did my clutch.

IIRC, I got a long piece of 2x4 and put it up against the flange, so that the end of the 2x4 sticks out far enough to get a good shot at the end of it. Then I hit it reasonably
hard several times with a 5lb sledge while twisting clockwise. I definitely didn't "tap" it. It was some pretty solid whacks. It'll go, don't worry.

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I did the exact same thing. Torroh is spot on about the snap ring moving in its groove and preventing you from pushing the shaft back into the VAQ.

I ended up taking the unit out of the car once the transmission was out (and I accidently pulled the whole shaft out). After you clean up the oil, stand it up, center the snap ring, and gently tap the shaft back into the body.

VAQ.jpg

Last edited:

torroh333

Car(s)
2016 GTI
After you clean up the oil, stand it up, center the snap ring, and gently tap the shaft back into the body.

Exactly... I would recommend draining the oil before you take it out. It will spill everywhere. Once you stand it up, like c31561 said, you just have to gently tap it in.