GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Detailing for dummies: I'm the dummy-Wash mitts have entered the chat; possibly other things you stick your hands into!

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I have acquired over time a garbage bag full of these ranging from 420gsm to 500gsm
https://www.detailedimage.com/The-Rag-Company-M99/Eagle-Edgeless-500-Towel-Orange-P1660/16-x-16-S1/
They've also recently released these and are on sale.
https://www.detailedimage.com/The-Rag-Company-M99/Wolf-Pack-9-pack-P2870/
They grab and hold dirt so much better than any mit I've used.

I've also migrated away from the two bucket method. There's a "gary dean" method which is really just a single bucket method and you don't re-use the towels again until you've cleaned them. Just fill your bucket with your soap/water mix. (I like to add in a little ONR as well since our water is super hard shitty city water. ) Then toss your towels in.

->Then, fold them into quarters and use a single quarter only for a single wipe. Thus why I have so many of these towels now. I also do detailing on the side so I need more than a dozen~.
If a car is super dirty I'll do half wipes on panels with each quarter.

-> Finally, once you have you used a towel and folded it to use all the quarters front and back, it goes into a rinse bucket with a little ONR, not to be used again until washed.

I got away from using mits of any sort especially the microfiber "finger-y" mits. They seem like a good idea but they don't release dirt well and it's really just a bunch of micro pressure points and I don't think they hold dirt all that well.. I do however use them for wheels if they aren't overly dirty.
Additionally, with the towel folded into quarters, you can develop a nice wipe and twist motion so that a new piece of fabric is always touching the paint. If I take my time and I'm not planning a correction afterward I can really reduce visible scratching with this method. On occasion you'll get that one bit of dirt that likes to hang around the surface and might scratch, but overall this is about as "scratchless" as I think you can get. - But since you're only dragging a short distance the overall damage is still significantly reduced.

Is all of this overkill? Absolutely 100% Yes. But none of my customers have complained. And I REALLY like detailing cars and I've spent a ton of time on techniques, methods and practicing.

Edit: Since I'm here :D
You should also really try this stuff if you haven't
https://www.detailedimage.com/PS-M110/Rags-to-Riches-Premium-Microfiber-Detergent-P2403/32-oz-S1/
Well what am I supposed to do with my bucket grates I’ve just purchased?! Haha. Dammit. Ignorance is bliss. I may have to try this. One swipe, flip, swipe, fold, swipe, Jesus I’m tired typing it out. How much longer would you say your washes take with this method?

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
:D The first few times I did it a was definitely struggling to hold the towel right and keep track and now it's just routine.
Overall I can complete a maintenance wash in about 30~ minutes. Which includes drying with the air compressor, filling the buckets and doing a quick rinse on the towels before they go in the wash.
A first time wash or a first wash of the season is always a bit slower as I'm more careful about what dirt I'm picking up, or I might presoak or spot treat.

The first few times will totally be slower. But once you pick it up it's nbd really.
I guess I should add that during the summer I do about 2-4 cars through a week and maybe 1 or 2 a week during the winter.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
I use the Big Red Sponge for ONR and soap washes... it is 5 years old and still works as new. Sometimes I use a merino wool, but I am not a fan of it. I will probably be trying Esoterics black sponge sometime this year.

https://www.esotericcarcare.com/esoteric-elite-car-wash-sponge/

Gary Dean got the folding trick from Darren Priest, Darren even uses the cheap Costco yellow towels for it and says he gets no scratches... but we all know it is due to the VooDoo magic that Dr. G does at Optimum. I think there is a new ONR type rinseless washer from McKee's that according to the ether is as good as ONR. I haven't tried it, but Yvan LaCroix left OPT and joined McKee's team and says that is as good.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
i have tried the multiple towel method for waterless washes; i seem to have a hard time comprehending the order of towel flipping; maybe i just get lazy. but should try it again, because truth be told, i get too lazy to properly use both buckets and rinse my mitt every panel. just too much back and forth, lol. maybe the towel thing could save me and my gloss black paint.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
I use the Big Red Sponge for ONR and soap washes... it is 5 years old and still works as new. Sometimes I use a merino wool, but I am not a fan of it. I will probably be trying Esoterics black sponge sometime this year.

https://www.esotericcarcare.com/esoteric-elite-car-wash-sponge/

Gary Dean got the folding trick from Darren Priest, Darren even uses the cheap Costco yellow towels for it and says he gets no scratches... but we all know it is due to the VooDoo magic that Dr. G does at Optimum. I think there is a new ONR type rinseless washer from McKee's that according to the ether is as good as ONR. I haven't tried it, but Yvan LaCroix left OPT and joined McKee's team and says that is as good.

This dudes look always gets me. But he's also a level of detailed that scratches and itch I have. Him and Larry. Really like their stuff.

I'm 30 minutes from Esoteric here in Columbus and I have yet to try their stuff...maybe I should

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
This dudes look always gets me.
Yeap, and he is no different in person. He taught the class I was certified on for the OPT coatings, always sharp, bowtie and all, even when washing a car with ONR and pressure washing his bus outdoors.

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
@Maiden69 or anyone else that can answer:
What is the best product for leather seat cleaning and most importantly protection?

I have the Chemical Guys cleaner and protectant but I'm thinking there is probably something better.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
What is the best product for leather seat cleaning and most importantly protection?

I have the Chemical Guys cleaner and protectant but I'm thinking there is probably something better.
A few of chemical guys products are good,...but they are mostly a marketing company that happens to sell detail products. Most of their products are mediocre to sub par at best.

https://www.amazon.com/303-Leather-Cleaner-Conditioner-Protectant/dp/B0185PU34O/ref=sr_1_4?crid=16UNOBXM89Z02&keywords=optimum+leather+cleaner&qid=1687643080&sprefix=optinum+leather,aps,82&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/Weiman-Conditioner-Protection-Cracking-Purses-12/dp/B007C5W4UK/ref=sr_1_7?crid=16UNOBXM89Z02&keywords=optimum+leather+cleaner&qid=1687643227&sprefix=optinum+leather,aps,82&sr=8-7

Our leather is the "sealed" type, so what you are really looking for is keeping UV protection....topped up.

Hell...if you want to join the Optinium Religion...ONR (wash and wax) green formula...not the standard blue, works very well on leather and a 8 oz bottle...makes easily a couple gallons of quick detailer. Protection seems to last in the 1 to 2 month range on leather, 2-3 on plastic, and I can get OPT wax to last 3 months on a car the sits outside, and 6+ on a car than sits in the garage, and avoids rain.

Last edited:

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition

I used Nextzett Lederpflege based on the recommendation by Phil at Detailers Domain for my Golf R when I had it and will continue to use it on my M2. It’s an “all in one” cleaner and conditioner and works well. Easy to work with and doesn’t finish shiny or greasy. Nice matte finish.

https://www.detailersdomain.com/collections/leather-care/products/nextzett-leather-care-lederpflege

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Last edited:

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
You will want the blue ONR for any multipurpose applications. The green has wax in it.
Right...which you could use to get UV protection for sealed leather. Which was indicated no less than 4 ish posts up,

Do people not read a few posts up for current conversion(s) context? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI

IF... our seats were good leather I would suggest doing a Leatherique treatment, the seats on my 2004 GTO were literally toasted and one treatment brought them back almost 80%. After that, any decent leather cleaner and protectant ( protectant plus ) will keep them nice. If you can get a leather coating, I would recommend it. I had none at hand, and knowing that our seats are like 30% leather and the rest leatherette I didn't bother.

As far as a decent quick detailer you could mix in 32oz of ONR 2 oz protectant plus and 1/2 oz Power Clean. That is one of the good things about using Optimum products, Dr. G creates them so they all have synergy between products. Instead of making a tire cleaner, degreaser, engine cleaner, etc... he makes one strong degreaser that can be diluted according to the use, same with their protectant plus and quite a few of their line up.
Nextzett Lederpflege
Nextzett Lederpflege is a decent choice.