GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Detailing for dummies: I'm the dummy-Wash mitts have entered the chat; possibly other things you stick your hands into!

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I have always enjoyed a well kept car. Over the years, I have been learning new skills. My Golf is a great size and color to start to move on to what I think are more advanced skills and practices. With that, the market is overrun with products. I take online reviews with a grain of salt and would love real world suggestions, good or bad from those that really use them.

Before someone tells me to Google for info, I have. Unfortunately, it’s a lot to swim through. Seems like a lot of bot run best-of lists that regurgitate the same suggestions. I have watched YouTube videos, scrolled through Reddit posts and other forums posts. My aim is to try to keep this the first post updated with post number ranges to the relevant topic. I will update the the thread title to reflect the current topic and maybe the thread will be able to provide a one stop search for those looking information like I am. The goal is to be product suggestions and not so much techniques. There is definitely plenty of application information on the web and not much of it is conflicting.

Looking for Interior uv protectant specifically dash matte finish. I hate shiny, oily interiors, shouldn’t be using it on your dash anyways, but the UV protection for vinyl(?) is mainly what I’m looking for. Throw me some suggestions.

See posts 2-14

Random and orbital polishers are discussed further. Some great info.
Jump to post 15-31

Wash mitts are here. Happy detailing season!

Last edited:

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R

McBrian

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf 4D 5MT
When I was big on detailing back in the day used 303 and always liked the low shine and non slip feel.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I have used Optimum OptiSeal in the interior of my cars for years now. It gives a slight sheen when applied, but returns to matte within hours of application.

https://optimumcarcare.com/product/opti-seal#:~:text=Optimum Opti-Seal is a true paint sealant with no,paint to maintain optimum gloss.

Protectant Plus is what they make for interior, but leaves a slight sheen, nothing shinny.

https://optimumcarcare.com/product/optimum-protectant-plus

When I was big on detailing back in the day used 303 and always liked the low shine and non slip feel.

Thanks! I am willing to try something else if I don’t like a product. Keep the suggestions coming.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Chemical guys makes good stuff, though I haven't tried their interior UV stuff. Just their fabric ceramic spray.

I've used Meguiars since my MK6 R. Isn't greasy, dries matte with no oily residue or shine, can be used on everything in the interior i've found without issue including the LCD screen and cluster. Make sure it's the Quik Detailer though, I've heard mixed reviews on their ultimate detailer as it promotes shine.

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-quik-interior-detailer-g13616-16-oz-spray

Last edited:

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Another vote for 303
https://www.amazon.com/303-30306-Aerospace-Protectant-Furniture/dp/B000XBCURW/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1L1YF25MCUMZ7&keywords=303&qid=1646078846&s=automotive&sprefix=303,automotive,48&sr=1-4

I've used a ton of different interior cleaners/detailers and this has been by far the best. In fact, if you do it right, it doesn't leave behind any visible change.
If you've used a bunch of different stuff in the past, I might recommend doing a deep clean first.

Get yourself a gallon of distilled water, a bottle of this ( optimum no rinse, diluted to quick detailing solution which is 1:16 or 8oz/gallon of water. Also sweet perk, you can use this for washing your car and a ton of other stuff. ), this brush, and use a soft cloth/microfiber to wipe up the loose dirt/excess.

It's worth noting that 303 is a PROTECTANT only. It isn't a cleaner. You really should clean before you apply it/ see cleaning above.

If you're so inclined check out the r/autodetailing sub reddit. There's a ton of information listed already and you get away from the advertising garbage

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Another vote for 303
https://www.amazon.com/303-30306-Aerospace-Protectant-Furniture/dp/B000XBCURW/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1L1YF25MCUMZ7&keywords=303&qid=1646078846&s=automotive&sprefix=303,automotive,48&sr=1-4

I've used a ton of different interior cleaners/detailers and this has been by far the best. In fact, if you do it right, it doesn't leave behind any visible change.
If you've used a bunch of different stuff in the past, I might recommend doing a deep clean first.

Get yourself a gallon of distilled water, a bottle of this ( optimum no rinse, diluted to quick detailing solution which is 1:16 or 8oz/gallon of water. Also sweet perk, you can use this for washing your car and a ton of other stuff. ), this brush, and use a soft cloth/microfiber to wipe up the loose dirt/excess.

It's worth noting that 303 is a PROTECTANT only. It isn't a cleaner. You really should clean before you apply it/ see cleaning above.

If you're so inclined check out the r/autodetailing sub reddit. There's a ton of information listed already and you get away from the advertising garbage
Thanks for the detailed reply. I happen to have the Optimum no rinse so that’s useful.

I have a love/hate relationship with Reddit. I love it, but I hate the rabbit hole and time suck it creates.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Chemical guys makes good stuff, though I haven't tried their interior UV stuff. Just their fabric ceramic spray.
I don't recommend CG anymore after I found out that they were just diluting the same chemicals and changing the color to market them as something new... This is the reason I went with Optimum Polymer Technologies. One All-Purpose cleaner, different dilution ratios for different purposes. Same with their interior Protectant Plus, dilute it with ONR as an interior detail spray... while CG charges you double as they use 1/2 their APC with water.

BTW, Adams was awesome, and still have great chemicals but they started kinda doing the same thing. I recently bought their new Graphene Advanced to try it out on the wife's new '22 SQ5... should make the Navarra Blue look great if their claims are true.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I don't recommend CG anymore after I found out that they were just diluting the same chemicals and changing the color to market them as something new... This is the reason I went with Optimum Polymer Technologies. One All-Purpose cleaner, different dilution ratios for different purposes. Same with their interior Protectant Plus, dilute it with ONR as an interior detail spray... while CG charges you double as they use 1/2 their APC with water.

BTW, Adams was awesome, and still have great chemicals but they started kinda doing the same thing. I recently bought their new Graphene Advanced to try it out on the wife's new '22 SQ5... should make the Navarra Blue look great if their claims are true.
I don’t like CG products and never really have. They never seemed to do anything exemplary to me.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Updated first post with new thread direction.

Todays topic: Random orbital or dual action polishers.

I looked and heavily considered the Bauer 6" from Harbor Freight. As I don my flame suit, I am not looking to make money with the machine, just get a good polish before laying a protectant down. Apparently it is a capable machine with the exception being the oddball thread size restricting options for any other size backing plate. I am now looking at Griot's G9 instead. At $100 I am all in. $170 I am ok with since the GG warranty is supposedly excellent. Are there other good options in the $100-$170 range? Not looking to cut then polish, just polish with a 5" pad maybe once a year.