GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Depo Racing (ebay) catted downpipe review

ALE 5six1

Ready to race!
I wouldn't exactly call them twins, the MAP has cleaner welds and more clearance by the ABS cover but they do look similar tho. Considering this one cost $350 with a cat, that's definitely not bad since I paid $350 for my MAP that didn't include a cat

Did your down pipe keep its color after being used? or was that pic from right after install?

ALE 5six1

Ready to race!
I paid $520 shipped for my MAP, catted and resonated. Also had the engine bracket which this doesn't have. $520 was more than fair, IMO.

If you're happy with spending 55% more for a resonator and a bracket, thats completely up to you. Everyone has their own value to a dollar.

Dannicuss

Passed Driver's Ed
oh! good to know, thanks for the info! Might spring for a cheap one of those if the light starts to annoy me.
Any down side to the CEL, besides light on dashboard?
I know some can hurt performance / gas MPG but so far gas mileage has only improved (on highway cruising)

Don’t be surprised if you can’t completely get rid of CELs with a spacer. Sometimes you can only just make CELs pop up less often.

Dannicuss

Passed Driver's Ed
Well it failed the magnet test :( but it didnt stick to the pipe as well as it did to the side of the car, you can tell its only semi magnetic, so there's that lol

You might see varying degrees of attraction with a magnet regardless of the type of stainless. Areas that have been worked by bending or have seen the heat of welding will become more attractive to a magnet than other areas.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Quick guesstimate on the clearance between the DP and ABS shield?

Rev 9 is like 1/4", which sucks.

I have the rev9 downpipe and theres much more than 1/4" between the downpipe and ABS heat shield. For that matter, theres plenty of space between it and any part of the car. It just takes time to get it fitted perfectly then welded up.

As far as this downpipe goes, if I hadn't already bought a downpipe I would get this one in a heartbeat. Price is amazing and quality seems great.

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
If I didn’t just purchase a rev 9 downpipe I would be all over this. I just refuse to pay for a name brand downpipe. It’s a piece of pipe that either fits and doesn’t leak or just the opposite.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I have the rev9 downpipe and theres much more than 1/4" between the downpipe and ABS heat shield. For that matter, theres plenty of space between it and any part of the car. It just takes time to get it fitted perfectly then welded up.

As far as this downpipe goes, if I hadn't already bought a downpipe I would get this one in a heartbeat. Price is amazing and quality seems great.

I had the Rev 9 for 36K miles. I TIG welded mine a couple weeks after install. It is super close to the ABS module, always was.

Not a matter of fitting it. If you force it to have more clearance near the ABS, the bracket and joint at the cat-back don't line up correctly.

Maybe they revised the design at some point or the parts are just inconsistent.

ALE 5six1

Ready to race!
Don’t be surprised if you can’t completely get rid of CELs with a spacer. Sometimes you can only just make CELs pop up less often.

Gotcha, I guess I'll just wait until I get the JB4 then. Because that will permanently stop a CEL correct?

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Gotcha, I guess I'll just wait until I get the JB4 then. Because that will permanently stop a CEL correct?

Yes, JB4 has an auto clear feature for CEL associated with aftermarket DP. I've heard mixed reviews on effectiveness of that feature though. I'd try to see if a spacer works first.

dub_guy

Ready to race!

The JB4 can be configured to auto-clear the codes when they come up. It will also auto kill your cruise control (or at least it used to)

ALE 5six1

Ready to race!
The JB4 can be configured to auto-clear the codes when they come up. It will also auto kill your cruise control (or at least it used to)

Well that sucks! I'm gonna have to research this b/c I use cruise control literally everywhere! its the only way I can stop myself from getting a speeding ticket lol

Calkulin

Ready to race!
If you clear codes, you need to turn the ignition off and then on for cruise control to work, even with VCDS it does that, so it's not just a JB4 issue

ccbird

Ready to race!
If you clear codes, you need to turn the ignition off and then on for cruise control to work, even with VCDS it does that, so it's not just a JB4 issue

I do not have to turn off ignition after JB4 clears codes. It does kill my cruise, but I can immediately just reset within seconds on the fly.