GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Delete

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Kelly Blue Book says 14,400 to 17,700 in excellent condition from a private seller.

tpa_mk7

To be fair, KBB says $15,600 to $17,900 in very good condition. Also like I mentioned on the post, you are more than free to shoot me an offer.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
That asking price is a deterrent regardless if you're open to offers. There is no shortage of pristine GTIs and its a buyers market. Right now you could get a newer CPO GTI with fewer miles for less. I was looking at a CPO 18' GTI DSG Autobahn w/39k miles for my wife at $17,900 and passed on that because she didn't like the color. She can because they are in abundance.

If you NEED over $17,500 for that car I'd suggest doing the following:
1. Aquire and post the CarFax in PDF format for folks to see
2. Elaborate on the status of wear items. Pics of rotors, pads and tires (if ANY of those aren't at 90% or greater life, replace them)
3. Close-ups of wear prone interior areas like the driver's seat bolster, foot wells etc. A seat with 34k miles driven by a primarily jeans wearing owner looks a lot different than one from a khakis wearing driver. Potential buyers will pay more for that.
4. Close-ups of paint in good lighting. Does it need $1k of correction to fix shoddy drive-through wash jobs? Has the rubber been baking in the sun? Any PPF or Ceramic and if so, who performed the work?

Point being, you need to post more data so folks can deduce that hey, maybe this particular specimen is worth an extra $1,500. Leave nothing to your word or KBB, neither are of any real value when dealing with educated buyers. Let the data talk.

Last edited:

tpa_mk7

That asking price is a deterrent regardless if you're open to offers. There is no shortage of pristine GTIs and its a buyers market. Right now you could get a newer CPO GTI with fewer miles for less. I was looking at a CPO 18' GTI DSG Autobahn w/39k miles for my wife at $17,900 and passed on that because she didn't like the color. She can because they are in abundance.

If you NEED over $17,500 for that car I'd suggest doing the following:
1. Aquire and post the CarFax in PDF format for folks to see
2. Elaborate on the status of wear items. Pics of rotors, pads and tires (if ANY of those aren't at 90% or greater life, replace them)
3. Close-ups of wear prone interior areas like the driver's seat bolster, foot wells etc. A seat with 34k miles driven by a primarily jeans wearing owner looks a lot different than one from a khakis wearing driver. Potential buyers will pay more for that.
4. Close-ups of paint in good lighting. Does it need $1k of correction to fix shoddy drive-through wash jobs? Has the rubber been baking in the sun? Any PPF or Ceramic and if so, who performed the work?

Point being, you need to post more data so folks can deduce that hey, maybe this particular specimen is worth an extra $1,500. Leave nothing to your word or KBB, neither are of any real value when dealing with educated buyers. Let the data talk.
I appreciate the advice, haven't had much experience with forum sales before, but I will gather that info upload it.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
I appreciate the advice, haven't had much experience with forum sales before, but I will gather that info upload it.

I've only sold 1 car on a forum. I do the above and create a master listing which I then distribute to:

CL - $5 per listing, I usually span a few states.
CarGurus - Free and fantastic.
Auto-trader - $50-ish but if you upgrade you'll get a CarFax included that you can then cross-post to the above listings. I don't like auto-trader but they publish their data which exposes it to other sources that generate leads.

GLWS!