GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Deep Black Pearl GTI Performance

AMPJ8

Passed Driver's Ed
I will start my car Journal as I am pleasantly pleased with this GTI 7.

I have to accept that I am quite enthusiastic about new technology. So I would prefer to try new stuff even if it means leaving some raw driving on previous models or cars. Same with the motorcycles I have all with latest electronics which of course from time to time I disconnect but I benefit a lot from.
Having said this then, don't expect me to be missing the raw feeling of previous GTI's a lot. When I want this feeling then I go and race Go-Karts. Or take the Mk 7 on track too ;)
Love the GROWLING on Sport mode. 230 ponies are well worth the extra price tag.

Driving Experience so far.
As said before it is in fact my 4th owned Golf and 6th driven, I am enjoying this one more than I did the Mk 6. The reason being how changeable the behaviour of the Mk7 can be compared to the 6. I tend to use a lot the DCC modes but the 7 with the Comfort mode feels far a different car than the 6th did. More floaty, softer, very light steering and of course more silent. Certainly the Damping and Rebound settings better managed on this one. 6th felt on confort mode like having more damping and just the rebound was changed.

DSG
Like far better the way the DSG engages the down shifts. This quick acceleration with the nice growl of the engine is just great. Then at lower speeds it does a more relaxed acceleration. I find it better than Mk6.

Steering
So far I like the work done on this. Confort mode very light goes easy. Sport mode you feel the feedback and the weight is increased to the levels of the Mk 6. The progressive steering is for me a good achievement. I enjoy this a lot for the driving I do, easy to do less turns and so far I feel it quite well adapted. For me to get used to this almost no-time.
Mk6 was more like in sport mode but always and yes I had moments where I didn't wanted to change the position of hands to complete a turn BUT I had to. Now that feel is gone. Just to clarify my driving position is very much on the sporty side meaning, close to the wheel.

Start/Stop
I see the use of the system, still it gets me a bit anxious on certain situations for instance when having to stop for a turn and I feel like saying "don't turn off". After reading the manual the system won't shut it down if the steering is on full lock, so I would do this in order to keep it running ready to pounce to the turn.
Other than this situations I now accept it quite well.
In combination with the Auto Hold, it makes the driving quite relaxing.
Without Auto Hold, then when releasing brake up you go.
Dealer tells me don't worry all is meant to work like that and resist the stress of running electrics while you wait.
Therefore I will trust VW on this one let's see later.

ACC
Contributes to relaxed driving yet still I am careful as I am learning to live with it. But one gets the impression that the car drives itself which can be bad because I fear it could make one take the attention off the road. Again prudence IMO.
System works well, keeps the distance, brakes if necessary accelerates gently (I have used it only on Confort or Normal mode).

Lane Assist
Will only use this one when on highways (autobahns in here). I had it on but I was driving on a city/country road. So I had those gentle pulses from the steering wheel. It corrects gently and tells you if you remove the hands, to hold it back again.
Works fine but that one feeling only on highways.

Park Assist
As I like driving a lot I put a lot of effort on Park the car in the best way. Nevertheless I gave this system several tries and again, me lazy but I like it! Had situations when while on the move and about to find a spot I pushed the button and it reacted quick. Then yes the manoeuvre all fine. With the DSG one has mostly to lift up the brakes.
The only thing is the position of the button which is on the right to the gear selector. So until I learn the position of it then I have to look and the DSG gear selector hides it a bit.
One of those things.

Will post more findings and experiences, hope to bring up something to the reader.

Main conclusion so far: This little jewel makes me happy and brings enthusiasm to my driving.

.:KindiGTI

Go Kart Champion
:D

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I'm with the others, sounds great but ... ... ;)

AMPJ8

Passed Driver's Ed
The pics

Thanks all. Had some pics on other thread but here they go!

Attachments

• GTIMk7_Smalls_1.jpg
    GTIMk7_Smalls_1.jpg
    720 KB · Views: 4,116
  • GTIMk7_Smalls 2492.jpg
    GTIMk7_Smalls 2492.jpg
    692.9 KB · Views: 3,992
  • GTIMk7_Smalls 2495.jpg
    GTIMk7_Smalls 2495.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 11,729
  • GTIMk7_Smalls 2497.jpg
    GTIMk7_Smalls 2497.jpg
    593.3 KB · Views: 4,100
  • GTIMk7_Smalls 2498.jpg
    GTIMk7_Smalls 2498.jpg
    841.1 KB · Views: 17,202
  • GTIMk7_Smalls 2499.jpg
    GTIMk7_Smalls 2499.jpg
    849.5 KB · Views: 5,696
  • GTIMk7_Smalls 2501.jpg
    GTIMk7_Smalls 2501.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 3,788
  • GTIMk7_Smalls 2496.jpg
    GTIMk7_Smalls 2496.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 4,105
  • GTIMk7-Front_5_sm.jpg
    GTIMk7-Front_5_sm.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 3,988

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Looks great.

.:KindiGTI

Go Kart Champion
The black and white picture is so nice

AMPJ8

Passed Driver's Ed
About the gas pedal

The Gas pedal

Have read in another thread that some noticed the different setup between Mk5-6 and 7.
In general have to say that After almost 500 Kms I start noticing. I find the Mk7 set up ok but liked the pedal on the floor one.

In any case the feel and response is certainly different of course one reason being the Mk7 having more torque. But at least IMO it responds quicker than my previous Mk6 on short fast bursts of acceleration, I liked a very swift pass from 6th gear to 4th for an overtake, very agile. With the 6 that would be slow reaction.
I do remember the Mk5 being far more direct and brute on those situations.

Running a bit on the German Autobahn and have to say they made a good job with the isolation of the cabin, even with Winter tires the ride improved in silence.

The main thing is this Mk7 makes you noticing even less the speed. The torque gets nice accelerations up to 160 (still breaking in the engine).

AMPJ8

Passed Driver's Ed
The first wash and the keyless

So I finally gave it the first wash. I am lucky to be able to do this by hand instead of wash stations.
During the wash I still had the keys with me so every time I passed through the door handle I would close or open the car! One of those funny situations. Then it got a bit too much. How to solve? Ah! Remember that user manual saying that car can't close if keys are inside so there you go convenience problem solved.

Fortunately my wash area is on a close parking otherwise I would feel weird fling that on an open one.

The finish is still new so washing it is great. But will certainly search one of those places where they put additional coating to keep it as new as much as possible.