GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dedicated track pad and 2 piece rotors

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Last track day my buddy in the paddock next to his NA Miata... “ these things are bulletproof!” Next session, yellow flag caution on turn 10. I see him on the side of the track. Tow truck heading towards him.

I tried campaigning an ‘87 944 around 2005. We prepped it. Full cage, track setup. First dial it in session at Summit Point. Kaboom. Cylinder 2 grenades sending a rod through the oil pan. All valves bent. From then on, only brand new cars in HPDE for me.

Going back to my buddy with his NA Miata- he’s mechanically inclined to swap an engine/ water pump/pulleys/belts, etc in 24 hours. He was back on track the next day. I don’t have the equipment or wherewithal to do such things. Swapping pads/rotors/fluids/suspension parts is my limit.

Personally, I believe 99.9% of track driving is knowing your own limits and capabilities, and this includes wrenching :). Sounds like you're well on your way to having a good time!

One car I know to be pretty bulletproof on driveline, though, (and I really mean beat on it and don't worry) is the 370z. That car has so much going for it in terms of capability and fun, as long as you have an oil cooler, slave cylinder bypass, and are willing to pony up for the massive tires and brakes...

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Thanks guys, this is giving me some food for thought. I'm coming from motorcycle track days, and am looking over how much more the costs are going to be in the car world. We just had our first kid, and she just turned 1 last month. I was not planning on buying anything for a while, but my car blew up when I came here to visit a couple of weeks ago (she's stationed in KS).

That got me car shopping. I came across his deal on a GTI, and lo and behold, I'm looking into track days again. ?

The good thing is I can't drive worth a damn yet, so I won't burn out tires or brakes for a while.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Thanks guys, this is giving me some food for thought. I'm coming from motorcycle track days, and am looking over how much more the costs are going to be in the car world. We just had our first kid, and she just turned 1 last month. I was not planning on buying anything for a while, but my car blew up when I came here to visit a couple of weeks ago (she's stationed in KS).

That got me car shopping. I came across his deal on a GTI, and lo and behold, I'm looking into track days again. ?

The good thing is I can't drive worth a damn yet, so I won't burn out tires or brakes for a while.
Welcome!

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
Some good news, found the T-Roc R rotors. Main takeaway is that it is still stock size 340x30mm since the T-Roc R uses the Golf R calipers, BUT has a cocasted aluminum hub. However, unlike I had originally assumed, the vanes are pillar instead of directional. Still, a lighter weight alternative!

https://shop.ahw-shop.de/original-vw-bremsscheiben-340x30-bremsen-vorn-5q0615301p
View attachment 163583

View attachment 163584View attachment 163585View attachment 163586View attachment 163587
reviving this thread - will those semi 2 piece t-roc r rotors bolt right up to a GTI w/ PP? trying to choose between these and clubsport rotors but i really don't want drilled rotors so these look like the best / most affordable 2 piece option.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
reviving this thread - will those semi 2 piece t-roc r rotors bolt right up to a GTI w/ PP? trying to choose between these and clubsport rotors but i really don't want drilled rotors so these look like the best / most affordable 2 piece option.

They are straight bolt on.