GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dedicated track pad and 2 piece rotors

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
*** Edit: Final rotor selection/install and track day performance on Page 3. ***

Looking forward to another track in March and I’d like to push the brakes more than during my last outing. My last outing was a refresher day after several years off and I was fairly conservative with the brakes, knowing I was only using street/track Porterfield R4S pads. They held up fine for the most part with me but after four laps with a pro driver at the wheel, they were at their limit.

I’m planning on swapping in Porterfield R4 pads up front while keeping the R4S in back for my next outing. Although I can probably use the same rotors due to compound compatibility, I may go ahead and spend a little on some 2 piece rotors for weight savings, better cooling and to protect the wheel bearings from the higher temperature range of the R4.

Anyone here using a 340mm 2 piece rotor on their track setup that they would recommend? I see there’s a handful of options out there, with the semi-floating Clubsport rotors at the lower end of the spectrum in the $500 range, with Neuspeed, etc in the $800 range.

I know I can spend a bit more and get TTS or Macan calipers, but I’m just interested in rotors at this point. Wondering if the 2 piece rotors are worth the expense.

Last edited:

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
For what it's worth I've been using OEM 340mm rotors for ~28 trackdays over a few years on mine, basically "maxed" OEM brake setup. I'm on my 3rd set of rotors at this point. If you're staying with 340mm rotors for the cost especially if you use something like FCP Euro's wear item warranty, I feel OEM is a no brainier. If you're swapping rotors frequently anyways that is.

I've heard of the Girodisc 2-peice used on Mk7 track cars before and that they're quality, but don't have any experience with them.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
For what it's worth I've been using OEM 340mm rotors for ~28 trackdays over a few years on mine, basically "maxed" OEM brake setup. I'm on my 3rd set of rotors at this point. If you're staying with 340mm rotors for the cost especially if you use something like FCP Euro's wear item warranty, I feel OEM is a no brainier. If you're swapping rotors frequently anyways that is.

I've heard of the Girodisc 2-peice used on Mk7 track cars before and that they're quality, but don't have any experience with them.
Thanks for the reply. How are your wheel bearings holding up after over a couple dozen events?
In the old RX8 I always simply used OEM rotors myself, but on an older WRX (undersized brakes) I did use some 2 piece rotors and ducting to help mitigate the heat.
Those Girodisc look good by the way!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That’s what I’m trying to figure out with this thread. Thanks for the feedback!
I can't say that it's worth it for racing or not. I have the 340 MM brakes and two piece rotors on my street driven car. They were $500 from ECS and they save 5 lbs per rotor versus OEM. They are slotted though so they can't be turned easily. Between my Motegi wheels and the two piece rotors I saved almost 15 lbs per wheel of unsprung weight.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Has anyone here used the Racingbrake 2pc rotors? They have a MK7 application.

Attachments

• 473F978D-2781-42E0-BCF4-8348A483F617.jpeg
    473F978D-2781-42E0-BCF4-8348A483F617.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 289

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
The main benefits of 2 piece rotors are reduced weight and "cheaper" rotor replacements (since you're just replacing the braking surface, not the whole rotor). There are arguably some ventilation improvements but very brake specific.

Unless you really care about the weight, i think you'll find that all the OEM size replacement braking surfaces are WAY MORE expensive than OEM rotors (or Stoptech's, or Brembos, or any other of several OE brands). So, the only real benefit is the weight. Not insignificant, but generally significantly less than what you'd save from going with TTS or Macan calipers (which have other benefits as well).

Stick to the stock rotors (or Stoptech or other 1 pc rotor) until you buy a BBK that either comes with a 2 piece disc or you feel like splurging.

The other option is to get the Clubsport S 2 piece from Europe, but that's only replaceable as a unit.

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
Thanks for the reply. How are your wheel bearings holding up after over a couple dozen events?
In the old RX8 I always simply used OEM rotors myself, but on an older WRX (undersized brakes) I did use some 2 piece rotors and ducting to help mitigate the heat.
Those Girodisc look good by the way!
Wheel bearings are fine from what I can tell.. no play when trying a basic shake of the wheels, and the they feel to spin freely when in the air.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Macan calipers as they have pad swap slots....(TT-S do not)..

Also on the Macan/TT-S thread they have test fitted & found that the Mk6 Golf "R" 345mm discs fit & match the Macan calipers (as Macan uses 345mm discs at factory)….

There are a few two piece rotors under £900/pair....dba & Tar.ox...

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
If going OEM route, the rotor to get is the quasi-2 piece T-Roc R rotors as they, like the Clubsport S rotors have the cast in aluminum center, directional vaning (albeit one spins in reverse), but unlike the CSS rotors they are blanks and not drilled (I've seen some cracked CSS rotors).

True 2 piece options included Neuspeed, Girodisc, potentially Ceika, Prosystems (what I have below), AP Racing strap drive, and some various Taiwanese/Chinese brands. BBK isn't absolutely necessary, I have had pretty good experiences with my setup. But the MAIN benefit most 2 piece and some 1 piece rotors bring to the table is the directional vanes/bigger air gap for cooling - heat kills the pads and the ability to shed heat is crucial.

HEpN8Fn.jpg