GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Decided I hate the sound of the car

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
I guess I am spoiled by my BMW 128i with the golf tee mod. But everytime I drive my GTI I am always disappointed with the way the exhaust sounds and the engine noise.

I have the soundaktor unplugged as I hated the fake noise and the occassional rattle.

Does anyone have suggestions for a new exhaust?
I am not looking to be obnoxiously loud, just to have a better sound to listen to when I drive.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
You could get a resonated 3/3.5" catback. OEM-like for cruising, but throatier on throttle.

If you really don't need *much* - just ~something~ - You could just get a catted/resonated downpipe and stay with stock catback. That'd be very OEM when cruising, and just a bit deeper and louder on throttle.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
How long have you had the car?

I too went through the same period of 4-cylinder engine noise disdain. I sold an E39 M5 to buy my R, and my other current car is a 330Ci with the venerable M54 inline 6 - both extremely sweet-sounding motors. Before the M5 I had a Z4M Coupe for 8 years with the spectacular S54, shared with the E46 M3. Truly a bunch of engines to spoil ones ears when moving back into a 4-banger for the first time in years.

For the last 2 months my ZHP has been on loan to my best buddy, so I'm driving the R exclusively. I was just commenting to him tonight that I now have come to appreciate the sounds the R makes, but it took me quite a while, and also being detached from the 6 for an extended period.

So if you're a fairly recent owner, my suggestion is to give it a while. If it has been a while already - well then you might never warm to it. I'm not so sure a louder exhaust is the answer though - hopefully it will be for you if you go that route. Good luck!

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
Here is my history, KevinC because I appreciate your post since it's coming from someone who has been even more spoiled by Amazing BMW engines.

2002 GTI nevarlose edition that was completely stock. It sounded more raw than my current GTI. It was just honestly fun to listen to and I still miss that car (damn NY salty winters). I had the car from 2006-2016.

2012 BMW 128i owned since 9 miles on the clock. Everything about the car is perfect for me and my life. I plan to keep it for 25+ years. It is never driven in the winter.

2016 GTI that I have owned since new at 130 miles on the clock. I am coming up on my two year anniversary with the car on January 6th and I plan to keep the car for at least another ten years. It is more refined than my MKIV and I am just not happy with the sound. I want more excitement out of it and I expected to have that straight out of the factory so it has left me disappointed in this regard.

Besides that, i have no complaints about the car and find it an absolute blast to drive.

JamFtw

I havent been spoiled like you with the BMW. but my gti I think sounds awesome, with my borla exhaust from the catback.
should check it out. can get decent prices aswell

slide13

Ready to race!
Come spring I’m going to put a Borla exhaust on mine. I really like the sound of this exhaust from what I’ve seen in videos and it definitely seems to make a difference even with no other changes.

I don’t mind the sound now when I drive it a little sporty, but it’s super quiet when just driving normal around town (also have soundaktor unplugged) so I’d like just a little more noise.

bh36913

Passed Driver's Ed
I went AWE track which is their loudest catback and it is barely noticeable at idle but wakes up nicely on throttle and doesn't drone too bad. I would say it doesn't drone at all but on the freeway at 75 it is definitely louder than stock. I would rather listen to the exhaust than tire noise and door/dash rattles though. Listening to music cancels it out though too.

Stock DP BTW

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I was in the same boat as you.

I coupled my stock DP with AWE track exhaust and the exhaust tone is a lot better. It has a nice rumble at idle and not loud until 2500 rpm. After that, the tone is louder and it might be the one you want. If you are not interested in a tune / DP, this set up is what i would recommend.

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
I went AWE track which is their loudest catback and it is barely noticeable at idle but wakes up nicely on throttle and doesn't drone too bad. I would say it doesn't drone at all but on the freeway at 75 it is definitely louder than stock. I would rather listen to the exhaust than tire noise and door/dash rattles though. Listening to music cancels it out though too.

Stock DP BTW

I was in the same boat as you.

I coupled my stock DP with AWE track exhaust and the exhaust tone is a lot better. It has a nice rumble at idle and not loud until 2500 rpm. After that, the tone is louder and it might be the one you want. If you are not interested in a tune / DP, this set up is what i would recommend.

Interestingly enough, I was giving the AWE track exhaust with stock DP a hard look last night. I like the fact they offer a lifetime warranty and the sound isn't too aggressive but noticeably more exciting. I will have to listen to more youtube videos tonight.
Was the installation easy?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Every turbo 4 banger sounds like garbage, most N/A do also, with the exception of some of the screaming high compression N/A motors.

One of my coworkers walked into my office last week and said "Your car sounds like a fart".

"Yep" :rolleyes:

I have a turbo bike that has 12.3:1 compression, 11 psi of boost, and spins 14,500 rpm. Still sounds like shit.

The only turbo 4 I've ever had that sounded decent had a giant turbo. The 4" inlet let out so much turbo noise it drowned out a lot of the exhaust note.

Last edited:

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Interestingly enough, I was giving the AWE track exhaust with stock DP a hard look last night. I like the fact they offer a lifetime warranty and the sound isn't too aggressive but noticeably more exciting. I will have to listen to more youtube videos tonight.

Was the installation easy?

Videos might not justify the actual sound but its worth the money. Rating is very subjective, some people rate this set up to be tame and others call it to be loud. I am happy with my setup but want a louder tone, so looking into adding a DP.

Installation was pretty direct and I did that in my friend’s garage. It took lesser time than what i had expected.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
ClubSport S muffler!

Easy self install.
Quality made and OE.
Looks great.
Sound - OE like but louder.
Flow through design.
Sporty drive much improved with added sound.
Not overly loud.

Search for threads with ordering info and part numbers.
Go to first page of my build thread and use link for video sound clips.
Also bottom of my 1st page has order info and part info.

Hard to go wrong. Many happy customers.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Every turbo 4 banger sounds like garbage, most N/A do also, with the exception of some of the screaming high compression N/A motors.
I know it's probably an unpopular opinion here, but I agree. My other two vehicles have V8s...one is a high compression motor with a large cam, long tube headers, etc...so I'm a bit spoiled. :D

K.A.I.N.

Ready to race!
It's going to depend on what car you came from or what else is currently in your fleet. I unplugged the Soundaktor because I hated it, but the stock engine sound is alright. It's not the volume, it's the pitch. I do miss the throaty 5.0 V8 I had previously...

It's a shame manus are dropping 8 and 6-cylinders for turbo 4.