GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DeAutoKey Brake and Reverse Lights installation guide

Purcell

Passed Driver's Ed
Received my deAutoLED brake and reverse lights today. Had to install them immediately. :D

Here's an installation guide:

Tools you will need:
- Knife
- Flathead screwdriver
- deAutoKey Brake Lights
- deAutoKey Reverse Lights

The attached pictures are taken during the main highlights of the installation.

Outer brake lights - (First 6 pictures)

Step 1 -
In the trunk, there are two small cutouts. This is access to the screw that holds the outer brake lights. You will need to carefully cut into the cutout because it is not cut all around (don't completely cut out the cutout, only cut the parts that are connected to the pre-cut areas). Once you gain access inside the cutout, there will be a large white screw connected to a spring. With one hand, hold the cutout fabric back while you use the other hand to turn the screw (the screw will be very difficult to unscrew at first - be patient and it will eventually start coming loose.) This is when you must hold the outer brake light with one hand and remove the screw with the other. When the screw has been removed, pull the brake light out with a bit of force (there will be a plastic pop, which is normal/nothing is broken).

Step 2 -
No you can unlatch the red tab on the exposed cable and carefully pull the brake light away from the cable. Now you have a completely removed brake light. Now, find and undo the four tabs around the black plastic casing. Once you've removed the plastic and rubber circle, find the two tabs around the bulb housing. Once you've applied enough force to remove the bulb housing, you can replace the bulb with the LED.

Step 3 -
Now you can plug the housing back into the brake light, then reattach the black rubber and plastic circle. Plug the power cable back into the brake light and lock it in place with the red tab. Now you can carefully refit the brake light to the car and put the screw back in. Once you've fully tightened the screw, the outer brake light will be ready. Repeat for the other outer brake light.

Inner brake and reverse lights - (Last 3 pictures)

Step 1 -
On the back of the trunk (below the glass) there will be two cutouts. Insert a flathead into the small notch on the outermost side. Push down on the plastic covering until it pops off, exposing the inner brake and reverse lights. First, pull the black stick from the electrical housing, this is the reverse light. Replace the bulb with the reverse LED. Keep the reverse light out of the electrical housing for now.

Step 2 -
Pull the red tab down to unlock the cable from the electrical housing. Now, find and unlock the four black tabs (this will take a little work since once side will try to snap back into place when you're trying to unlock the other side). Once you've had success, remove the housing from the inner brake light. Now you can pull out the original bulb and put in a brake light LED.

Step 3 -
Time to insert the housing/board back into the inner brake light. This will take some patience to line everything up correctly (make sure all four tabs have been secured). Then, plug the cable back into the housing and lock it with the red tab. Now you can insert the reverse light into the housing. Once everything has been secured, you can push the plastic covering back into place. Repeat for the other inner brake light.

Now you're done! A bit of work for this installation, but it is quite worth it.

Hope this guide was helpful to you. Let me know if you've found an easier way to do any of these items/steps. :)

Attachments

• IMG_3037.jpg
    IMG_3037.jpg
    568.2 KB · Views: 20,942
  • IMG_3038.jpg
    IMG_3038.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 20,911
  • IMG_3040.jpg
    IMG_3040.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 20,807
  • IMG_3041.jpg
    IMG_3041.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 20,753
  • IMG_3042.jpg
    IMG_3042.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 20,158
  • IMG_3039.jpg
    IMG_3039.jpg
    629.3 KB · Views: 21,620
  • IMG_3044.jpg
    IMG_3044.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 20,364
  • IMG_3045.jpg
    IMG_3045.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 20,619
  • IMG_3047.jpg
    IMG_3047.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 19,938
Last edited:

55belairgasser

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the step by step. Put my new lights in today and this came in very handy. -Lance

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

hooville

Go Kart Newbie
Ditto on thanks for the step by step guide! Received and installed them on the GTI last night, loving them!

Cheers!

junginit

I ordered the kit, but have not installed it yet. Is there a need to adjust the brightness of the bulbs between running and braking lights?

Do you know how to do this with the VCDS?

Thanks.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
I ordered the kit, but have not installed it yet. Is there a need to adjust the brightness of the bulbs between running and braking lights?

Do you know how to do this with the VCDS?

Thanks.

Hi, thanks for the question, this is something we tested as it is a common issues that many people bring up to us after buying a competitor brand.

We test all of our LEDs to make sure the ratio between the brake/tail brightness is perfect meaning that when you hit the brake it will be bright enough to be seen against the bright tails.

Many times when piecing together another kit or buying from a competitor (who didn't test this) you see this issue where the brake LEDs are not bright enough against the tails which is very dangerous as others won't be able to tell when you are braking.

We again test everything you see on our site prior to selling any items so you know you are getting something that will look good and work.

Thank you for the question

mkygod

Ready to race!
Maybe im missing something, but this is supposed to be an installation guide for the "DeAutoKey Brake and Reverse Lights", yet there are no photos of the DeAutoKey Brake and Reverse Lights? I just wanted to see what they look like.

TankTopMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Rear package just came in the mail yesterday. Even below freezing, it only took ~15 mins to install :) looking great so far; no ragrats.

Anyone had any experience with the PWY24W turning signal LEDs? The only review I stumbled across says it doesn't fit into the housing at the angle needed with the harness on. Would love to pull the trigger on these if they fit

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Rear package just came in the mail yesterday. Even below freezing, it only took ~15 mins to install :) looking great so far; no ragrats.

Anyone had any experience with the PWY24W turning signal LEDs? The only review I stumbled across says it doesn't fit into the housing at the angle needed with the harness on. Would love to pull the trigger on these if they fit

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

:) thanks we appreciate the feedback!

Sherifftruman

Ready to race!
I just installed the reverse lights in my GSW. When I was in the garage seeing how bright they were against the door I was like eh, they're a bit brighter. Heh, the garage light being on fooled me. When I backed out of the driveway this morning at 5:45 to go work out I was like holy crap these are bright!

Before, on the backup camera, I could see as much red brake light as white on the ground and surrounding things like bushes, house, etc. This morning, I couldn't even tell there was any red at all. The white totally overpowered it and let me see much further back too.

Definitely worth doing.

I still have to find a way to make a US car have amber turn signals though.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Received my deAutoLED brake and reverse lights today. Had to install them immediately. :D

Here's an installation guide:

Tools you will need:
- Knife
- Flathead screwdriver
- deAutoKey Brake Lights
- deAutoKey Reverse Lights

The attached pictures are taken during the main highlights of the installation.

Outer brake lights - (First 6 pictures)

Step 1 -
In the trunk, there are two small cutouts. This is access to the screw that holds the outer brake lights. You will need to carefully cut into the cutout because it is not cut all around (don't completely cut out the cutout, only cut the parts that are connected to the pre-cut areas). Once you gain access inside the cutout, there will be a large white screw connected to a spring. With one hand, hold the cutout fabric back while you use the other hand to turn the screw (the screw will be very difficult to unscrew at first - be patient and it will eventually start coming loose.) This is when you must hold the outer brake light with one hand and remove the screw with the other. When the screw has been removed, pull the brake light out with a bit of force (there will be a plastic pop, which is normal/nothing is broken).

Step 2 -
No you can unlatch the red tab on the exposed cable and carefully pull the brake light away from the cable. Now you have a completely removed brake light. Now, find and undo the four tabs around the black plastic casing. Once you've removed the plastic and rubber circle, find the two tabs around the bulb housing. Once you've applied enough force to remove the bulb housing, you can replace the bulb with the LED.

Step 3 -
Now you can plug the housing back into the brake light, then reattach the black rubber and plastic circle. Plug the power cable back into the brake light and lock it in place with the red tab. Now you can carefully refit the brake light to the car and put the screw back in. Once you've fully tightened the screw, the outer brake light will be ready. Repeat for the other outer brake light.

Inner brake and reverse lights - (Last 3 pictures)

Step 1 -
On the back of the trunk (below the glass) there will be two cutouts. Insert a flathead into the small notch on the outermost side. Push down on the plastic covering until it pops off, exposing the inner brake and reverse lights. First, pull the black stick from the electrical housing, this is the reverse light. Replace the bulb with the reverse LED. Keep the reverse light out of the electrical housing for now.

Step 2 -
Pull the red tab down to unlock the cable from the electrical housing. Now, find and unlock the four black tabs (this will take a little work since once side will try to snap back into place when you're trying to unlock the other side). Once you've had success, remove the housing from the inner brake light. Now you can pull out the original bulb and put in a brake light LED.

Step 3 -
Time to insert the housing/board back into the inner brake light. This will take some patience to line everything up correctly (make sure all four tabs have been secured). Then, plug the cable back into the housing and lock it with the red tab. Now you can insert the reverse light into the housing. Once everything has been secured, you can push the plastic covering back into place. Repeat for the other inner brake light.

Now you're done! A bit of work for this installation, but it is quite worth it.

Hope this guide was helpful to you. Let me know if you've found an easier way to do any of these items/steps. :)

Nice clear photos. Did you make a video? I work better with moving pictures. :)

sbarrett4

Ready to race!
Installed LED reverse lights today. Much happier with the brightness now. Super easy, popped off the cover and pulled out the old reverse lights (they pull out separate from the rest of the plastic housing, no tabs to worry about breaking). Both sides done in under 2 minutes.