GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer wants to charge labor for warranty repair bc I have aftermarket intercooler

Hoon

Autocross Champion
They said since the intercooler was thicker than stock they couldn't access the thermostat from the underside, so they'd have to take off the bumper and put the vehicle into a "service position" where the front core support is partially removed and pulled forward to gain access to the thermostat, and that the only other solution was to take off the intake manifold, but that would require the injectors to be resealed and would be even more expensive than the other solution.

Going to go pick it up today and find another dealer to take it to.

The intake manifold and injectors aren't even connected, you can remove the intake manifold without even touching the injectors. It would be a bit of a pain in the ass to work around the injectors when doing the water pump from the top, but I don't see why that would add significant labor time.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
They said since the intercooler was thicker than stock they couldn't access the thermostat from the underside, so they'd have to take off the bumper and put the vehicle into a "service position" where the front core support is partially removed and pulled forward to gain access to the thermostat, and that the only other solution was to take off the intake manifold, but that would require the injectors to be resealed and would be even more expensive than the other solution.

Going to go pick it up today and find another dealer to take it to.

There is so much wrong with what I just read. Get your car out of there.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
There is so much wrong with what I just read. Get your car out of there.
+1...ask the dealer to show you where the injectors are in the intake manifold, lol.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I'm sorry OP but your dealership is scamming you to get extra money out of you. I have a CTS stock location IC and as big as it is, when my dealership performed replacing my thermostat housing, they didn't touch my IC. Replaced the thermostat as is and I didn't have to pay anything.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Go back with this thread bookmarked, along with anything else from other owners that is in opposition to what they're trying to claim. Ask them to read it and then reconcile what they're saying with what everyone else's experience is?

Is that worth doing? Even if they relent, can you trust them to do it right?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Go back with this thread bookmarked, along with anything else from other owners that is in opposition to what they're trying to claim. Ask them to read it and then reconcile what they're saying with what everyone else's experience is?

Is that worth doing? Even if they relent, can you trust them to do it right?

I doubt they'll read anything. What OP can do is take a service manual with him and show the fuckers that removing and installing the water pump/thermostat does not require removing bumpers, intercoolers, etc. I have the 2015 version I can give.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I doubt they'll read anything. What OP can do is take a service manual with him and show the fuckers that removing and installing the water pump/thermostat does not require removing bumpers, intercoolers, etc. I have the 2015 version I can give.
Thats actually a good idea. I would show them that, Post a review up of them trying to scam, and take my car back and go somewhere else.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Send them the video of fcp euro performing a replacement and then ask them why some random dude can do it without removing anything off the front end and their skilled mechanics can't.

They'll just say that this random dude is not a VW certified mechanic and that his procedure can harm the vehicle. Some usual bs to that end. I think presenting them with an official VW service manual is the way to go. And then if the OP is up for it, contact VWoA and let them know an official dealer is trying to scam customers by not following proper VW service procedures.