GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer wants to charge labor for warranty repair bc I have aftermarket intercooler

CSG_Barry

Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
My 2017 GTI Sport is leaking coolant at 33k miles. From my searches this appears common. Dealer said they need to replace the thermostat housing unit and they'd cover it under warranty. I left it overnight, now they call today asking to charge "up to $620 for 4 hours of extra labor" because my aftermarket intercooler (the Magic intercooler from Ebay) and "aftermarket pipes" will require them to remove the entire front bumper to replace the thermostat housing unit. They said they'd still cover the repair under warranty but that my aftermarket parts (I have intercooler, turbo inlet and downpipe) require more labor to replace the part. Does this sound even remotely right or should I take it to a different dealer? This was University Volkswagen in Seattle.

Last edited:

Martin398

Ready to race!
they removed the bumper to replace my water pump when my vehicle was still stock. there's no additional labor involved because of your upgrades.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I agree with the other posts. Mine was done under warranty with FBO's and my dealer didn't charge anything. Your dealer is just using it as an excuse.

nestid

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Damn I thought University VW was a good dealer. Try hitting the other nearby VW dealers

Martin398

Ready to race!
I was mistaken they did not remove my bumper for this. it was removed at the dealer for a headlight replacement. had them mixed up

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL:

I would love to walk into that dealership with you and have them try to explain to me how their comments are valid. I have spent years and years helping friends not get ripped off by mechanics.

CSG_Barry

Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
They said since the intercooler was thicker than stock they couldn't get to it the normal way, so they'd have to take off the bumper and put the vehicle into a "service position" where the front core support is partially removed and pulled forward to gain access to the thermostat, and that the only other solution was to take off the intake manifold, but that would require the injectors to be resealed and would be even more expensive than the other solution.

Going to go pick it up today and find another dealer to take it to.

Last edited:

nestid

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
They said since the intercooler was thicker than stock they couldn't access the thermostat from the underside, so they'd have to take off the bumper and put the vehicle into a "service position" where the front core support is partially removed and pulled forward to gain access to the thermostat, and that the only other solution was to take off the intake manifold, but that would require the injectors to be resealed and would be even more expensive than the other solution.

Going to go pick it up today and find another dealer to take it to.

Please update on which dealer you go to. Am also in Seattle area and that was where I got my GTI from. Would love to know who to bring it to if that ever does happen for me as I'm getting the ebay cooler installed soon