GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer keeps filling car with incorrect oil, advice?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
The fact he reads the forum...I love it. Good bit of schadenfreude.

He sat there waiting for you to call like I can't wait for this, I'm gonna get him so good...

SD11

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE DSG
I would think it would be closer to go South or are you closer to Daytona?

If you need a second opinion, message me and I will ask our service manager about it. Cant doing anything about it, but might clarify things.

I agree with the idea that its better in the long run to hand the car off to the next owner with a bunch of dealer stamps for oil changes, and that might even be a critical record on an R.....

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
So this parts counter genius reads the forum, sees the issue, then when you call, he's STILL got the wrong information? Shouldn't he have said to himself "aha, I have the ability to look this up and find out the true answer, I'm going to figure this out."? No, he apparently thought you were wrong, he was right, and then acts like a complete jackass on the phone - while being wrong. Hopefully the complaint filed with VWoA leads to him being disciplined. I wouldn't want to see the guy lose his job over it, but he needs to get schooled and learn how to do his job properly, without being a dick to customers.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
I also wouldn't want to see anyone lose their job over this, especially with whats going on in the world right now. I gotta be honest, I've been into cars/forums a long time (20+ years now), and that's the first time something like that has ever happened lol. Took some balls. Thats a conversation between him and his manager at this point, not my business. I think its just the world we're in now. People are afraid to say I don't know, or hang on let me find out.

@SD11 Orlando or Daytona would be about the same really. Without going back to Miami, I'm not sure whats south of me from WPB -> Melbourne. I'm torn on the stamps, but I know on the GTI keeping records/dealer maintenance helped a lot when I had a turbo failure. They combed over my records, looked for tunes and inspected connectors for tampering before that got authorized. So I dunno... especially since its a car I don't intend to modify. The R is basically everything the GTI was not for me, and its really plenty quick for a DD.

We have an Audi dealer here that seems pretty nice, but I assume they cant officially stamp a VW book.

SD11

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE DSG
Sorry, for some reason I overlooked the earlier post, glad you got it straightened out. I agree with your comments, its crazy that people will spit out complete nonsense and then try to back it up..... WTF??? I don't get that, I tell people I don't know or I will find out... people are not walking wikis.

I am new to FL too, so far so good, crazy times, but as always, we will get through it.....

People are still buying new cars, not the end of the world.

I am still surprised we still have that R in stock, I can even discount it.... especially if I have to deliver it somewhere out of town..... : )

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Buy a set of low profile ramps and do it yourself there is absolutely no point in getting it done. You will pay off the ramps in a few oil changes. There is also no way in hell vw will try to say you didn't change your oil right if there is ever a warranty claim. One more thing VW beats the dogs**t out of you for work. I called for the 20k service which is an oil change, rotation and cabin air filter. They wanted 230+ every shop I called. The filter is less than 30, oil is like 60 something I think with filter and plug FROM vw and a rotation is 25 there. I asked how much they were charging for cabin air filter install they said $30 labor... It's a joke you pop the glove box down swap out and done in less than 2 mins. These cars are so EASY to work on learn to use youtube you'll be fine doing anything in the future.

I agree wholeheartedly. The GTI is my first car ever. I was reluctant to do any work on it myself at first, but after I saw that both dealers and indy shops are very much not averse to ripping you off every chance they get, I started wrenching on it myself, and lo and behold, the car runs just fine. I take my time when wrenching because I want everything to be perfect -- something most strangers will never do for your car.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Okay, so this is going to be a long AMAZING update. I am keeping names out of it (I never even mentioned the specific dealer) and you will soon see why:

1.) I did not change the oil myself because I recently moved, and all of my tools etc are in storage. I will be from now on I think, and just documenting when it was done, keep receipts/pictures... etc. I had hoped a VW dealer could handle this simple task, I was wrong and end of story.

2.) I called my local Audi dealer part department, and asked what oil a 2019 S3 would take. I was informed VW 502 / 504, but that these days they used 504. I thanked them for their time, and we hung up.

3.) I then called the dealership, and asked for the parts department. A gentleman answered, and I asked for the P/N of the oil required for a 2019 Golf R. Instead of giving me this information, he responded more/less that he was a member of this forum and had seen my post. He went on to inform me the correct spec for the R was VW 508 / 0W-20. I asked if he could produce a TSB with this for my records and the response was "...I think we can" and insisted the car now used 508. I won't lie, I became a bit irate and he said I should call VW of America and I hung up irate.

Looking back, I should have just asked for the service manager directly. I didn't expect the person to answer to be a member of the forum and essentially dox me. I found that to be SUPER CREEPY.

4.) I called VW of America, and a nice person answered the phone. They confirmed the car should have VW 504, and provided to that in writing to me via email. The CSR then asked if I wished to file a compliant, and I said yes. When I called I had no intention of filing one, but when asked, I said why not.

5.) About 10 minutes after hanging up with VW the service manager called me. We talked very calmly, and he agreed the car should have 504 and they would like to make it right. I took the car in, they did a quick dump/fill of 504 and I was on my way. I spoke to the manager in person and he had a printed sheet of paper with the proper oil specs and part numbers written down for my future reference. I was also given a printed receipt for my records to prove the oil had been replaced with the proper grade/spec. I went about the rest of my day.

This is a long read, I know... painful. I have never had a situation like this before, and I know you're reading the forum right now. I will tell you the same thing I told your manager: its OK to say "I don't know" or look things up. To just give out false information, or pretend like you can produce technical documentation like that is ... silly? I mean you knew I would call VW.

This is just business, nothing personal and it isn't even your car or money.

Thanks for reading everyone.

Glad you called VWoA and opened a case file. Plus it sounded like VWoA called the dealership, which then the dealership called you to address the problem.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I would like to read an apology from the parts guy who has been reading this. OP has been very respectful and patient you owe him his due respect. We all mess up it's how you deal with the aftermath that matters.

Mud

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I agree wholeheartedly. The GTI is my first car ever. I was reluctant to do any work on it myself at first, but after I saw that both dealers and indy shops are very much not averse to ripping you off every chance they get, I started wrenching on it myself, and lo and behold, the car runs just fine. I take my time when wrenching because I want everything to be perfect -- something most strangers will never do for your car.
It definitely is scary the first time you do something on your own. After two or three tries its no problem. I was terrified when I changed my DSG fluid. I've been changing oil since I could grip an oil filter. Im very fortunate I had a dad who seized the opportunity of child labor and taught me how to work on cars from a young age haha. Seven year old me thought it was the coolest thing to go work on my dads truck

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Honestly I respect this persons privacy, like I do my own. His manager fixed the situation and we'll leave it at that. To be fair I also took an irate stance on the phone that was unwarranted. I should have just terminated the call vs. continue the back/forth. No further escalation or response is needed.

BTW I did get a survey from the dealer. I filled it out honestly, but I felt I was fair/professional.

I would like to read an apology from the parts guy who has been reading this. OP has been very respectful and patient you owe him his due respect. We all mess up it's how you deal with the aftermath that matters.

Mud

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
It definitely is scary the first time you do something on your own. After two or three tries its no problem. I was terrified when I changed my DSG fluid. I've been changing oil since I could grip an oil filter. Im very fortunate I had a dad who seized the opportunity of child labor and taught me how to work on cars from a young age haha. Seven year old me thought it was the coolest thing to go work on my dads truck

All that prior experience pays off. I had none, but I got over my initial fears pretty fast. Just read the service manual, follow quality youtube videos, and you are golden.

SD11

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE DSG
Changing the DSG fluid is easy and I was unhappy that people were making it sound like such a big deal. The biggest PITA is the viscosity and getting the fluid back in.....

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Honestly I respect this persons privacy, like I do my own. His manager fixed the situation and we'll leave it at that. To be fair I also took an irate stance on the phone that was unwarranted. I should have just terminated the call vs. continue the back/forth. No further escalation or response is needed.

BTW I did get a survey from the dealer. I filled it out honestly, but I felt I was fair/professional.

You're a class act @Gimpster we should all have your attitude. I salute you.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Mud

I agree but I don't think that moron will show up here.