GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer keeps filling car with incorrect oil, advice?

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Well thats the plan, I will talk to the service manager tomorrow... and if no satisfaction there I'd consider escalating it. And yeah, to be clear here folks, this was literally the one (and only) VW dealer for 80-100 miles that did this.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
In before people start up the different oil voids your warranty stuff. ?

yeah but did they use an extractor or drain it from the bottom.

srsly call up service mgr see what he/she says. except for a slight wtty risk I doubt it'll matter but I would want the right stuff in it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
yeah but did they use an extractor or drain it from the bottom.

srsly call up service mgr see what he/she says. except for a slight wtty risk I doubt it'll matter but I would want the right stuff in it.

Some dealers use an extractor?

chrisk03

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI-AB DSG
Some dealers use an extractor?

You'd be surprised...many do, nowadays. Saves time and money and probably only increases engine failure or warranty issues by about .00000001%. :) Supposedly, my MB dealer does it, but I didn't ask when I had it in for service. I'm pretty OCD, but for some reason this doesn't bother me. YMMV.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Except they didn't put in 30 weight, they put in 0W-20. If it was a 30 weight I'd be happy as it would match the spec.

Also I am ASSuming they drained from the bottom, because one of the parts itemized is the drain plug.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Except they didn't put in 30 weight, they put in 0W-20. If it was a 30 weight I'd be happy as it would match the spec.

Also I am ASSuming they drained from the bottom, because one of the parts itemized is the drain plug.

I figured that they would drain it from the pan. They're not going to lose the opportunity to charge you $10 or so for a $1 drain pan plug. ?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Stop having that dealer do your oil changes. Buy an extractor and DIY, save some money and the hassle of having to set up and appointment and take your car in for easy maintenance.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Okay, so this is going to be a long AMAZING update. I am keeping names out of it (I never even mentioned the specific dealer) and you will soon see why:

1.) I did not change the oil myself because I recently moved, and all of my tools etc are in storage. I will be from now on I think, and just documenting when it was done, keep receipts/pictures... etc. I had hoped a VW dealer could handle this simple task, I was wrong and end of story.

2.) I called my local Audi dealer part department, and asked what oil a 2019 S3 would take. I was informed VW 502 / 504, but that these days they used 504. I thanked them for their time, and we hung up.

3.) I then called the dealership, and asked for the parts department. A gentleman answered, and I asked for the P/N of the oil required for a 2019 Golf R. Instead of giving me this information, he responded more/less that he was a member of this forum and had seen my post. He went on to inform me the correct spec for the R was VW 508 / 0W-20. I asked if he could produce a TSB with this for my records and the response was "...I think we can" and insisted the car now used 508. I won't lie, I became a bit irate and he said I should call VW of America and I hung up irate.

Looking back, I should have just asked for the service manager directly. I didn't expect the person to answer to be a member of the forum and essentially dox me. I found that to be SUPER CREEPY.

4.) I called VW of America, and a nice person answered the phone. They confirmed the car should have VW 504, and provided to that in writing to me via email. The CSR then asked if I wished to file a compliant, and I said yes. When I called I had no intention of filing one, but when asked, I said why not.

5.) About 10 minutes after hanging up with VW the service manager called me. We talked very calmly, and he agreed the car should have 504 and they would like to make it right. I took the car in, they did a quick dump/fill of 504 and I was on my way. I spoke to the manager in person and he had a printed sheet of paper with the proper oil specs and part numbers written down for my future reference. I was also given a printed receipt for my records to prove the oil had been replaced with the proper grade/spec. I went about the rest of my day.

This is a long read, I know... painful. I have never had a situation like this before, and I know you're reading the forum right now. I will tell you the same thing I told your manager: its OK to say "I don't know" or look things up. To just give out false information, or pretend like you can produce technical documentation like that is ... silly? I mean you knew I would call VW.

This is just business, nothing personal and it isn't even your car or money.

Thanks for reading everyone.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Okay, so this is going to be a long AMAZING update. I am keeping names out of it (I never even mentioned the specific dealer) and you will soon see why:

1.) I did not change the oil myself because I recently moved, and all of my tools etc are in storage. I will be from now on I think, and just documenting when it was done, keep receipts/pictures... etc. I had hoped a VW dealer could handle this simple task, I was wrong and end of story.

2.) I called my local Audi dealer part department, and asked what oil a 2019 S3 would take. I was informed VW 502 / 504, but that these days they used 504. I thanked them for their time, and we hung up.

3.) I then called the dealership, and asked for the parts department. A gentleman answered, and I asked for the P/N of the oil required for a 2019 Golf R. Instead of giving me this information, he responded more/less that he was a member of this forum and had seen my post. He went on to inform me the correct spec for the R was VW 508 / 0W-20. I asked if he could produce a TSB with this for my records and the response was "...I think we can" and insisted the car now used 508. I won't lie, I became a bit irate and he said I should call VW of America and I hung up irate.

Looking back, I should have just asked for the service manager directly. I didn't expect the person to answer to be a member of the forum and essentially dox me. I found that to be SUPER CREEPY.

4.) I called VW of America, and a nice person answered the phone. They confirmed the car should have VW 504, and provided to that in writing to me via email. The CSR then asked if I wished to file a compliant, and I said yes. When I called I had no intention of filing one, but when asked, I said why not.

5.) About 10 minutes after hanging up with VW the service manager called me. We talked very calmly, and he agreed the car should have 504 and they would like to make it right. I took the car in, they did a quick dump/fill of 504 and I was on my way. I spoke to the manager in person and he had a printed sheet of paper with the proper oil specs and part numbers written down for my future reference. I was also given a printed receipt for my records to prove the oil had been replaced with the proper grade/spec. I went about the rest of my day.

This is a long read, I know... painful. I have never had a situation like this before, and I know you're reading the forum right now. I will tell you the same thing I told your manager: its OK to say "I don't know" or look things up. To just give out false information, or pretend like you can produce technical documentation like that is ... silly? I mean you knew I would call VW.

This is just business, nothing personal and it isn't even your car or money.

Thanks for reading everyone.

Good job persevering. Justice finally.

BuyGerman

Ready to race!
Hey everyone,

I purchased another MK7, a 2019 R DSG that was gently used with 3800 miles. I previously had a 2016 GTI w/manual transmission.

LONG STORY SHORT: I was going through the owners manual, and the paperwork from the dealer. They serviced the car as part of the intake/resale process, and I noticed they used VW 508 spec 0W-20 oil. The sticker on both the radiator support and the owners manual both clearly say to use VW 502/504 for the R model.

I took it back to the dealer, they agreed this was in error and re-changed the oil. I looked up the P/N they used on the reciept and guess what, they refilled it with 508 again (VW PN: G-E60-020-1B-DSP) even after we had this discussion at the service counter.

So my question: Before I go back to the dealer, has the spec for the 2019 R changed to 508? If you feel I'm being neuratic I can understand, but I tend to keep vehicles a while and I would like to a.) maintain my excellent warranty (which shouldn't be an issue, since a VW dealer is doing this...) and b.) ensure the car lasts well beyond the warranty with minimal/normal engine wear. If the spec is NOT 508 for the R, I am unsure how to proceed with their service department short of providing my own oil and they eat the labor.

Buy a set of low profile ramps and do it yourself there is absolutely no point in getting it done. You will pay off the ramps in a few oil changes. There is also no way in hell vw will try to say you didn't change your oil right if there is ever a warranty claim. One more thing VW beats the dogs**t out of you for work. I called for the 20k service which is an oil change, rotation and cabin air filter. They wanted 230+ every shop I called. The filter is less than 30, oil is like 60 something I think with filter and plug FROM vw and a rotation is 25 there. I asked how much they were charging for cabin air filter install they said $30 labor... It's a joke you pop the glove box down swap out and done in less than 2 mins. These cars are so EASY to work on learn to use youtube you'll be fine doing anything in the future.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
I'm not at all surprised by this. There are many people that work at dealers that just fill slots IMO. I think the term complacent is fitting. They're just going through the motions on a daily basis. Too bad it takes so long to get to a resolution. And all those surveys due is screw the advisors out of $

tigeo

Autocross Champion
spec > weight

504 is 504, the weight is secondary so a 5W30 504 will be just fine which is much easier to find. Truth be told, any 502 is going to work just fine in the R too.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
2016's call for 5W-40, at least R's do, and AFAIK VW didn't make any changes to the engine, so I'm thinking they get another .01 MPG with the thinner oil, and that's all VW cares about.