GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer keeps filling car with incorrect oil, advice?

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Hey everyone,

I purchased another MK7, a 2019 R DSG that was gently used with 3800 miles. I previously had a 2016 GTI w/manual transmission.

LONG STORY SHORT: I was going through the owners manual, and the paperwork from the dealer. They serviced the car as part of the intake/resale process, and I noticed they used VW 508 spec 0W-20 oil. The sticker on both the radiator support and the owners manual both clearly say to use VW 502/504 for the R model.

I took it back to the dealer, they agreed this was in error and re-changed the oil. I looked up the P/N they used on the reciept and guess what, they refilled it with 508 again (VW PN: G-E60-020-1B-DSP) even after we had this discussion at the service counter.

So my question: Before I go back to the dealer, has the spec for the 2019 R changed to 508? If you feel I'm being neuratic I can understand, but I tend to keep vehicles a while and I would like to a.) maintain my excellent warranty (which shouldn't be an issue, since a VW dealer is doing this...) and b.) ensure the car lasts well beyond the warranty with minimal/normal engine wear. If the spec is NOT 508 for the R, I am unsure how to proceed with their service department short of providing my own oil and they eat the labor.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Go back and have them do it again, but check what they are going to use OR get your money back, buy the correct oil and do it yourself. Doubt if the filter element needs to be changed, but get a new drain plug.

MrCypherr

Passed Driver's Ed
VW changed their oil for pretty much every car recently. So now diesels use 0w-30 along with most gas cars. Alot of the newer ones with VVT or B-cycle engines use the same oil which is 0w-20. They didnt change the stickers on the cars for them. This is direct info from an employee at VW.

If you did all your oil changes at the dealer and THEY used the wrong oil, come warranty time, they are on the hook for using the wrong oil since you have papers to prove it. But, they did change oils recently and didnt change the stickers.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Okay thats good to know, and I do understand things can change on spec. I'm keeping 5,000 mile OCI's anyway (yeah, yeah.. heh) so I'm not too worried about shear. When the car is out of warranty, by those miles, it might be more reasonable to step it up to a 40 weight. Not sure I neccissarily agree with 0w-20 on a direct injected turbocharged engine, but ... I'm also not a mechanical / lubrication engineer either.

And yeah, as much as it pains me, I plan on letting VW do my maintenance during the warranty period. It made any issued the old car had ... a non-issue.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
The under-hood sticker on my '19 (5/19 production) calls for 0W-30, 504.00. This can be tricky to find, but it's out there. The owner's manual calls for either 5W-30, 502.00, or 5W-40, 504.00. Or maybe either weight/both specs? The chart is confusing. Apparently the Atlas also has conflicting info between the sticker and the owner's manual. C'mon VW, get your act together! Charles, "the Humble Mechanic" on YouTube, who used to be a dealer tech, called VW when he bought his R and was told that the under-hood sticker was the correct instruction, so that's what he's using.

In either event, I wouldn't run 0W-20 in the thing, and I wouldn't trust your dealer at this point to swap a wiper blade. Make them fix it then find another place to service your car.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Okay here is my plan of action then, keep in mind.. I live in Melbourne Florida... not exactly eurocar HQ. We do have a small Audi dealer though, and I'm going to go there Monday and ask: If I had a 2019 S3, what would you fill it with? I know they're going to say 502 / 504.

I will then take that back to VW and say refund me, or refill with 502 / 504.. I don't care which (no filter swap needed IMO). Unless they can prove to me in writing VW has changed the specification on the R to 508 and I'll just have to switch to the Audi dealer or find an indy around here. I'm new to this area, so don't know anyone yet.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I would either do it myself or go to an indie shop and just keep records so there's no potential warranty dispute if you ever require warranty work.

Navi

Autocross Champion
I would either do it myself or go to an indie shop and just keep records so there's no potential warranty dispute if you ever require warranty work.

if you want it done right, do it yourself (y)

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Call up VWoA and open a case file. Maybe VWoA will knock some sense into the dealership.

Too bad dealerships don't do customer satisfaction surveys like they used to after every service

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Why not call the dealer, ask to speak to service manager, and ask why they refilled with 0w-20 the second time when you specifically requested a heavier oil?