GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer installed GPS module?

JS12

Ready to race!
I was debating on writing a novella about how I came across this but I don't have the energy. Can anyone confirm that this pass-thru device on my OBDII port preventing OBDEleven from working on my new R is some sort of dealer installed tracking device like Lojack?

I already ripped it out and everything (car, nav, ObdEleven) works fine so I'm about 90% sure but wanted to confirm.

I'm impressed with the OEM-like quality. The sticker on the door sill with "Designed in California" threw me for a loop as well as the purple port. But there were no Audi rings.

Apologies for the bad pics or if this has been covered before.

SpoolDude

Passed Driver's Ed
You're welcome lol. You are not crazy. There are even external pictures if you click a link further down the page. Different model number I believe, but its the same thing... cube logo and all.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Sooo, did you check your paperwork to see if you actually paid for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I think this is similar to what a local motorsports dealer uses on all of their motorcycles and ATVs. I think they usually remove them before delivery though? I believe it's just a GPS device in case the car is stolen while owned by the dealer.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
They leave them on the car if you are financing through them so that way if you miss a payment it can be easily repossessed. The legality of it staying on your car after you completely paid it off is questionable. If there is a tracker on your car I believe it has to be stated somewhere in your paperwork.

JS12

Ready to race!
Thanks all for the feedback. TBH I don’t think there’s anything too nefarious going on here. After ripping it out I remembered the finance guy glosssing over a security tracking service that I could “activate” for a $350 fee. I really didn’t pay much attention as I was eager to get the keys in my hand. I suppose the margins are good enough for them to install first and sell enough contracts that it’s not worth removing for buyers who aren’t interested.

They may use it for tracking purposes pre-sale but I am curious as to what sort of tracking might have been permitted post-sale. Either way, if anyone notices weirdness with OBDII devices, it might be worth poking around the fuse area if you haven’t done so before.