GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer damaged bumper (opinions?)

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
I’m curious if anyone here knows enough about body work/can provide an opinion (what to do) regarding some front bumper damage that a dealer caused to my A7.

The A7 was just purchased and brought back (less than 40 miles on the clock) to have something corrected when this happened. Damage is on both sides of the front bumper... it’s into the clear coat.

1617577964583.jpeg

1617578018084.jpeg

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Tell the dealer to fix it. I hope you told them right away.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Tell the dealer to fix it. I hope you told them right away.

Oh, they knew the second I saw it and I saw it immediately.. My A7 didn't move from that spot until they admitted fault.

Audi Customer Care was involved, I'm not fucking around with paint damage (that I didn't cause) on a brand new $80,000 car.

Dealership agreed to fix it... except, I don't trust the dealership... I'd rather have it fixed somewhere else and then bill the dealership. I'm just wondering if anyone here has any professional auto body experience/can provide insight into what may need to happen to fix this.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I can't offer any insight on what it takes to fix it but I'm sure the dealer won't pay someone else to fix it. Glad that you noticed it though because they would have denied it otherwise.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
I can't offer any insight on what it takes to fix it but I'm sure the dealer won't pay someone else to fix it. Glad that you noticed it though because they would have denied it otherwise.

I'd normally agree with you except, I'm very persuasive. :)

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
You said in the clear coat...so wet sand and buff?

I wouldn't want it repainted though...it's a slippery slope there and usually results in worse results and/or doesn't match 100% anymore.

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I may be wrong, but judging from the pics it looks like it could be polished out.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
You said in the clear coat...so wet sand and buff?

I wouldn't want it repainted though...it's a slippery slope there and usually results in worse results and/or doesn't match 100% anymore.

Yeah, it’s into the clear coat. My finger nail easily catches on a bunch of spots as I drag it a crossed the damaged areas on both sides.

Dealer initially wanted to repaint it and I wanted to get a second opinion. I don’t even trust them to fill it with gas now. Can a high-end body shop match/blend paint/lay the correct thickness 100%? Or is it impossible to get perfect? Daytona Gray Pearl Effect seems like a pain in the ass color to deal with but I know nothing about paint work.

I may be wrong, but judging from the pics it looks like it could be polished out.

I’m going to go to a detailer tomorrow that has a very good reputation. I went to one on Friday and they wouldn’t touch it/said it needed to be repainted.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Detailer ended up fixing it! 😅

IMG_0817.jpg