GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DCC Slider Mod

RudyH

Go Kart Champion

I am not meaning to hijack anyone's work, just trying to bring the posts together so others can benefit from the lessons learned.

I figure it would be worth getting the information into one thread, and maybe @Cuzoe or @Chillout , it would be awesome if you can help to put the information here? Personally I am super interested in doing this to my 2018 R, and I think I have the hardware to do it. I was jumping through threads and I was hoping to put it all in one thread.

What do you need?

You can flash them all with ODIS or VCP. VCDS and OBD11 cannot be used to do this.

Please note, there may be newer copies of the software, and I will likely not keep it up to date:
You can find ODIS here: https://www.obdinnovations.com/odis-diagnostic-software-v4-3-3-digital-download/
You can find VCP here: https://vcpsystem.com/k17,vcpsystem-reg.html

Verify the hardware versions required
- 5Q0907376A - hardware version you likely have
- 5Q0907376B - firmware version you likely have
- 5Q0907376C - Arteon firmware version you want to get to

Where is it physically located? see the first post here for the diagram: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/dcc-retrofit.378431/

Verify the DCC Firmware you have, vs the version required from the 2020/2021 Arteon or Passat

This can be found under the module: 14 Wheel Dampening Electronics. You can flash to a new firmware (not supported on this thread, as there is risk involved with bricking your controller).

Unfortunately you cannot simply plug in an Arteon DCC controller as they are tied by VIN to a car. Going to a dealership won't help either, as according to VW, they will simply tell you that 5Q0907376B is the latest and greatest and 5Q0907376C won't work.

DCC parametrization that goes with this firmware

Verify the gateway and get proper versions in place, in a safe spot
(GTI 6MT / DSG, R 6MT / DSG settings)?
3Q0907530Q and higher Gateways
This can be found under the module: 19 Gateway. The main value you are looking for is the software number.

Of course the dataset that you are going to update with:
- FPA dataset (Gateway dataset that holds the settings for your driving profiles) that enables the slider.
https://github.com/jilleb/MQB-FPA and of course it's wiki will get you to where you want to go: https://github.com/jilleb/MQB-FPA/wiki

How-to document (this is key to piece together what needs to be done / missing information)

For my DCC Controller
Hardware - 5Q0907376A version H17 / Firmware - 5Q0907376B version 0121

For my Gateway
Hardware - 3Q09007530C version 518 / Firmware - 3Q0907530G version 5304

References
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...-your-mk7-today.316916/page-2469#post-7851841
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...-your-mk7-today.316916/page-2346#post-7789876
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/bilstein-b6-suspension-chasis-rebuild.386543/page-3
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/dcc-suspension-mod-by-installing-the-dsc-sport-controller.385091/page-2#post-7654299
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/dcc-retrofit.378431/

Last edited:

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Wtf I never even knew this was possible. It would be great to have start to finish walkthrough of how to do all this.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
I think this is all the updating I am going to do for now, I need to pull my front passenger strut assembly to replace the mounting kit, since I was too anxious to get things done instead of waiting for parts to arrive...then will figure out the DCC controller and tackle the Gateway after. Time for me is a bit of an issue but will pick away at it

Last edited:

Mk R

Appreciate the write up and without a doubt @Chillout and @Cuzoe should get recognition for helping so many of us do this. There is a Skoda thread here:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/506152-dcc-slider-adjustment-option-mod/page/1/

That covers the path we took. I had the help of a VAG coding wizard through all of it on my 2017 Skoda Superb 4x4 206TSI, (which for anyone in the US is essentially the drivetrain of a Mk7 Golf R in a large wagon). I had a 5Q0 gateway initially and most people who have completed this used a 3Q0 gateway so we swapped that to start.

Here is the overall sequence of events that was encountered and followed:

• Swapped to 3Q0907530C gateway with software 4287.
  • Removed Component Protection and restored FEC using ODIS online.
  • Upgraded gateway software to 3Q0907530AC sw 4388 with ODIS Engineering.
  • Applied dataset 3Q0907530AC_Superb_3.xml
  • Extracted data from the XML file and modified to add 15 increment slider using the 'Full Example for DCC Index C with slider' on the GitHub page using the addresses given in the drive2 link and pulling the hex values from the GitHub example.
  • Note that the data for 'remember after reset' doesn't line up with the drive2 example (nor does the slider example, but this is more obvious from the github example as the data is just 0-15) so I copied the values from the GitHub example manually from 0x2E0-0x2EF.
  • Applied modified FPA data using ODIS Engineering.
  • Flashed DCC controller to 5Q0907367C and applied Passat dataset.
End result:

Attachments

• 170C3844-CE99-406A-9594-1B8DFCB1123E.jpeg
    170C3844-CE99-406A-9594-1B8DFCB1123E.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 478
Last edited:

Mk R

Following the mod, I thought it might be beneficial to conduct a DCC calibration given the car now uses a new dataset in the DCC module. Used a hoist today to do that using VCDS. Result is it feels like the increased firmness has calmed slightly and the compression damping over small bumps is now smoothed giving a slightly less busy ride in all modes.

DCC calibration procedure using VCDS (this is essentially a copy/paste of @Cuzoe 's instruction) :
  • Adaptation (basic settings) should be the same process on any car.
  • Vehicle on jacks or hoist with full droop (all four wheels hanging),
  • Module 14 Damping Electronics... Security Access 20103 (not required for my case, VCDS had already input code).
  • Go into Basic Settings and
  • Select the calibration from the dropdown menu and press Go.
It will only run if the level sensors are in the proper range. The field should say "Completed Successfully" or something similar and that's it. It essentially zero's the suspension like when you zero a scale and it took literally 1 second to complete on my car.

NOTE: Your car may drop down to the ground and look like it's now an SUV. The DCC valves appear to be fully closed and may hold the car up very high. Don't worry about that, the car returns to normal height as soon as you put it into gear and roll away.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
This is awesome! I grabbed the files from the link above. Mostly the Arteon firmware which was something I was looking for.

I think my gateway is still something I am stuck on though, my firmware is:
3Q0907530G version 5304 and I need to get to 3Q0907530Q and higher Gateways

The gateway firmware looks like its different between what you did and what at least the 2018's do

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
Wanting to keep this alive and hoping @Cuzoe can respond at some point since he seems to have installed Bilstein B4 Damptronic dampers on his DCC retrofit project. I'm wondering if he's using this DCC slider mod on those dampers. I plan on installing B6 Damptronic dampers while leaving the OEM springs on my 2017 Golf R, and I would like to be able to use this slider mod on those dampers.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Yes I am using the slider with B4 damptronics. Keep in mind the dampers (OEM, B4/6/16, KW) don't know or care what is controlling them. That can be OEM DCC module with/without slider, APR or DSC controller... they just respond to a range of voltage inputs. With the OEM DCC module having the slider just allows you more control.

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
Yes I am using the slider with B4 damptronics. Keep in mind the dampers (OEM, B4/6/16, KW) don't know or care what is controlling them. That can be OEM DCC module with/without slider, APR or DSC controller... they just respond to a range of voltage inputs. With the OEM DCC module having the slider just allows you more control.
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Do you have any additional input (corrections or clarifications) to the quasi-DIY from the original post made by @RudyH?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
It's pretty well covered. The why and what is happening might be helpful here though. And I have no doubt I've posted it somewhere else on these forums but who can keep track really... having the slider requires a few things...

• DCC Module software and dataset that supports 15 settings instead of 3 (comfort, normal and sport/race)
    • So that's DCC software version C
    • And a dataset for software version C (there is no version C dataset for a Golf, so I'm using Arteon, some use Passat)
  • Driving profile dataset (this is stored in your Gateway) that supports 15 DCC settings instead of just the 3 (comfort, normal, and sport/race)
    • When you select a DCC mode, the gateway sends a "request" to the DCC module to go into that mode. If the DCC module (firmware and dataset) "accept" that request you'll get that mode. So from the factory it works like this...
      • You set DCC to Comfort, gateway requests that DCC module go to "Setting 1," DCC module accepts/supports this... you're now in Comfort mode
      • You set DCC to Normal, gateway requests that DCC module got o "Setting 2," DCC module accepts/supports this... you're now in Normal mode
    • Just like DCC version C datasets, there is no factory driving profile dataset that supports the slider
      • So you've got to modify your dataset... all that is described here... https://github.com/jilleb/MQB-FPA
      • The Github includes info about the minimum required Gateway hardware/software... you may need to upgrade, which is another topic
    • So now let's assume you have the right gateway and a properly modified dataset
  • You need to load the DCC module (software, then dataset) using ODIS or VCP... using these is another topic, but info is out there
  • You need to load your modified dataset to the gateway... again using ODIS or VCP
My recommendation is get all your required software/datasets (for DCC module and gateway) ready then do all of your loads. The DCC software and dataset are easier to get. So let's say you have those first and decide to go ahead and flash them. Well... your DCC module now accepts/supports DCC mode requests from 1-15. But your gateway is only requesting 1-3. That mismatch means you've lost control of DCC modes.
The same thing effectively happens if you flash modified gateway firmware first. Gateway will be requesting values the DCC module does not accept/support. I did this initially, flashed the gateway to enable the slider but did not (at the time) understand how the gateway dataset interacted with the DCC module. I suspect I had DCC in sport when I flashed the gateway. But now the gateway was sending values the DCC module didn't know what to do with... so DCC remained in sport.

Neither of these scenarios (flashing DCC module or Gateway before doing the other) are going to cause any errors, faults, or long term problems... but DCC modes will not be working. If you're stuck in comfort maybe you don't mind, but I was stuck in sport which was not ideal.

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
It's pretty well covered. The why and what is happening might be helpful here though. And I have no doubt I've posted it somewhere else on these forums but who can keep track really... having the slider requires a few things...

• DCC Module software and dataset that supports 15 settings instead of 3 (comfort, normal and sport/race)
    • And a dataset for software version C (there is no version C dataset for a Golf, so I'm using Arteon, some use Passat)
  • Driving profile dataset (this is stored in your Gateway) that supports 15 DCC settings instead of just the 3 (comfort, normal, and sport/race)
    • When you select a DCC mode, the gateway sends a "request" to the DCC module to go into that mode. If the DCC module (firmware and dataset) "accept" that request you'll get that mode. So from the factory it works like this...
      • You set DCC to Comfort, gateway requests that DCC module go to "Setting 1," DCC module accepts/supports this... you're now in Comfort mode
      • You set DCC to Normal, gateway requests that DCC module got o "Setting 2," DCC module accepts/supports this... you're now in Normal mode
    • Just like DCC version C datasets, there is no factory driving profile dataset that supports the slider
      • So you've got to modify your dataset... all that is described here... https://github.com/jilleb/MQB-FPA
      • The Github includes info about the minimum required Gateway hardware/software... you may need to upgrade, which is another topic
    • So now let's assume you have the right gateway and a properly modified dataset
  • You need to load the DCC module (software, then dataset) using ODIS or VCP... using these is another topic, but info is out there
  • You need to load your modified dataset to the gateway... again using ODIS or VCP
My recommendation is get all your required software/datasets (for DCC module and gateway) ready then do all of your loads. The DCC software and dataset are easier to get. So let's say you have those first and decide to go ahead and flash them. Well... your DCC module now accepts/supports DCC mode requests from 1-15. But your gateway is only requesting 1-3. That mismatch means you've lost control of DCC modes.
The same thing effectively happens if you flash modified gateway firmware first. Gateway will be requesting values the DCC module does not accept/support. I did this initially, flashed the gateway to enable the slider but did not (at the time) understand how the gateway dataset interacted with the DCC module. I suspect I had DCC in sport when I flashed the gateway. But now the gateway was sending values the DCC module didn't know what to do with... so DCC remained in sport.

Neither of these scenarios (flashing DCC module or Gateway before doing the other) are going to cause any errors, faults, or long term problems... but DCC modes will not be working. If you're stuck in comfort maybe you don't mind, but I was stuck in sport which was not ideal.
THANK YOU for this clarification.

So what you’re saying is the module and gateway need to be flashed simultaneously?

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R

Sorry if I’m a bit confused. My brain thinks best in a stepwise fashion. It seems as if there are three independent things happening here that then merge at some point.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The first thing I would do is check my gateway hardware and software. Make sure it meets the minimum requirements for custom data sets, mentioned on the first page of the GitHub.
  • If the hardware is too old, you need to retrofit a new gateway (and load the latest software)
  • If it's just software that's too old, you can load the latest software.
  • Gateway retrofit and/or software load is a separate topic, but you can do the gateway upgrade whether or not you want to do anything with DCC slider.
So doing the slider mod assumes you gateway is already at a software level that allows modification and loading of custom data sets as described in the GitHub.

Then it's a matter of flashing the DCC module, software first then data set. That's the same order for flashing any module.

And also modification of the driving profile data set for the gateway and flashing that.

For these last two you can do them in any order, but if you don't do them both, you are going to lose DCC modes (until you do them both). So there's no reason to flash the DCC module/dataset with version C if you do not have a modified gateway data set ready, and vice versa.

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
The first thing I would do is check my gateway hardware and software. Make sure it meets the minimum requirements for custom data sets, mentioned on the first page of the GitHub.
  • If the hardware is too old, you need to retrofit a new gateway (and load the latest software)
  • If it's just software that's too old, you can load the latest software.
  • Gateway retrofit and/or software load is a separate topic, but you can do the gateway upgrade whether or not you want to do anything with DCC slider.
So doing the slider mod assumes you gateway is already at a software level that allows modification and loading of custom data sets as described in the GitHub.

Then it's a matter of flashing the DCC module, software first then data set. That's the same order for flashing any module.

And also modification of the driving profile data set for the gateway and flashing that.

For these last two you can do them in any order, but if you don't do them both, you are going to lose DCC modes (until you do them both). So there's no reason to flash the DCC module/dataset with version C if you do not have a modified gateway data set ready, and vice versa.
Thank you, that’s clear as day. This is exciting to eventually see what an even softer setting on the B6 damptronics would feel like.