GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DCC shock/strut replacement

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Could not easily find a thread on this so I made one.

I just crossed the 40k mile mark, and am getting near the time I want to lower the car with springs. Lowering springs + old car = new shocks/struts. Looking into shock/strut options, all I can find that are compatible with DCC are the Bilstein option and OEM replacement. OEM parts are like ~450ish for each strut (from parts.vw.com - links below are from a "cheap OEM parts" website), and the Bilstein ones are ~350ish. Are there any cheaper options or better sources for the parts? I don't want to go with coilovers, and I don't want to delete my DCC. If I end up doing this I would go with the Bilstein ones for sure, but are these really the only options without deleting the DCC?

Bilstein Front
https://www.shopdap.com/make-model-...front-twintube-suspension-strut-assembly.html

Bilstein Rear
https://www.shopdap.com/make-model-...ering-and-suspension/coilovers/20-254353.html

OEM Front
https://www.vwpartsforless.com/oem-parts/volkswagen-strut-5q0413031fm/?c=YT12b2xrc3dhZ2Vu

Ome Rear:
https://www.vwpartsforless.com/oem-parts/volkswagen-shock-absorber-5q0513045am

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Why not go with a mild drop and retaining your stock dampers/struts?

DG, H&R OE Sport or MSS Kits should work fine.

By the time you have to replace dampers there should be more options on the market.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Why not go with a mild drop and retaining your stock dampers/struts?

DG, H&R OE Sport or MSS Kits should work fine.

By the time you have to replace dampers there should be more options on the market.

I've always read that dampers should be replaced if you are putting lowering springs on at my mileage. Lifespan decrease and all that jazz

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
I've always read that dampers should be replaced if you are putting lowering springs on at my mileage. Lifespan decrease and all that jazz

From what I read replacement is not needed for mild drop. I just went with Eibach pro springs, 1" drop all around. Stock shucks seem fine thus far but I just got them.
I did read that for some the VWR springs the shocks do bottom out, but that is a 1.6 inch drop, so hopefully I will be safe, fingers crossed

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
From what I read replacement is not needed for mild drop. I just went with Eibach pro springs, 1" drop all around. Stock shucks seem fine thus far but I just got them.
I did read that for some the VWR springs the shocks do bottom out, but that is a 1.6 inch drop, so hopefully I will be safe, fingers crossed

Thats part of the problem, I want to do VWR springs or something with a pretty significant drop. Nothing crazy but at least an inch. Eibach says .8" drop. Do you like yours? Ride quality ok?

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
Thats part of the problem, I want to do VWR springs or something with a pretty significant drop. Nothing crazy but at least an inch. Eibach says .8" drop. Do you like yours? Ride quality ok?

I think the ride quality with the Eibach Pro is just about the same as it is in sport before, just about the same maybe its a tad less harsh. Totally livable for me and it does handle the corners much better and you feel less body roll as well.

Here is a picture of my car for your reference, not a good picture by all means as the car was dirty, and this was right after
For me this height is perfect, rear especially, the front are a bit higher. I will eventually put wheel spacer in the front and it should help with the reverse rake look
I personally don't like when the tire tucks underneath the fender so this is as low as I would go, but it is all based on everyone preference

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the pic and info. Maybe that I'd as low as I would go. My wheels are ET40 so they might rub a little

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for the pic and info. Maybe that I'd as low as I would go. My wheels are ET40 so they might rub a little

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Et40 wont run unless you are running 10inch width wheels.
Mine are 18x8 et 45, could have safely went with et35 all around without issues. Wish I done that.

Joncoulson

Ready to race!
So I’m looking for info on alignments I’m lowering my 18 R with neuspeed sports which is a 1 inch drop can I take it anywhere fro an alignment since it has DCC or the dealer? I was told a DCC alignment was like 1k dollars and dealer only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
So I’m looking for info on alignments I’m lowering my 18 R with neuspeed sports which is a 1 inch drop can I take it anywhere fro an alignment since it has DCC or the dealer? I was told a DCC alignment was like 1k dollars and dealer only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, your dampers/struts don’t matter when it comes to alignment costs.

I personally would go to a trusted Independent Repair place before a dealer, especially one that deals with euro cars.

Or if you’re not picky any Firestone or other alignment shop.

If you’re on any local FB car groups, ask there too.