GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DCC Retrofit

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Ahhhh... that makes sense now, never quite put it together but your posting style was quite similar, haha. I appreciate the info here and over there.

I expect I'll be in individual "comfort" mode most of the time. It has been a fun, though still incomplete, project for me. Plus it'll be fairly unique for a NAR torsion beam Mk7. Not having time is my biggest hurdle right now, nothing technical.

I thought someone here, or in the RT thread, mentioned something about Passat gateway parameters and "C" software on the DCC module. I suppose I understand later DCC software but I don't understand the Passat gateway part. Granted, I'm out of my wheelhouse here anyway. Wouldn't the sliders have to be supported in the MIB firmware as well?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The retrofit itself is relatively straightforward besides requiring a lot of access for harness routing. Even the coding doesn't seem too difficult.

It's getting the slider for DCC in individual mode that we're not sure about, as shown in post 33 earlier in the thread.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
😂 Does Network engineer count?

Appreciate the feedback on the DCC noise. Good to know I didn't retrofit some junk 😅.

As for the LED lights, my GTI S didn't have the LED projectors from factory so I retrofitted them. I say this because I've been told that some of the coding (NA restrictions removed) on my lights is not possible on the factory equip NA models. I'm assuming this is due to me loading the programing from VCP. As for how they react, they kinda of look similar to how I had them before. Maybe a bit more reaction to the suspension changes.

“Network engineer” - I definitely think it counts, haha 👍 I’m a software engineer so I was curious.

Good to know about the lights. I do remember your other retrofit where you were able to put them in ece mode as opposed to nar, which is great. One day I might get VCP...

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I won't know until I'm done, never been in a car with it. Fun project anyway if you're into this sort of thing. The Mk7 TDI in the states never came with it so it'll be unique in that respect, although not unique in a way that adds value, haha. I'm old at heart and need (want) more comfort than my B8/H&R setup provided but I enjoy some canyon drives. My TDI isn't really fast and I'm by no means a fast car driver so whatever DCC Sport provides in stiffness will be okay with me.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Got everything installed finally. Replacement of struts and steering knuckle as a single assembly worked out great.

@AWD4416, what did you use to perform basic settings? My understanding is this needs to be done with all four wheels hanging. But I'm hoping I can get it done with vcds... the option is there at least. Anything I need to look out for?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Update to this thread, retrofit is done. VCDS worked for basic settings after module was parameterized. Security access code 20103 and then run the settings. My rear left level sensor doesn't read consistently. Had to exercise it a few times to get within the required range for the module to allow basic settings. I'm going to replace it because right now it seems to be sending a value that causes the rear dampers to stay stiff. That's an easy fix though. I'm very happy with the retrofit, even with the rear being (seeming) a little stiff.

I had comfort added to my gateway by the guys at VAG Retrofit & Coding. They are still working on getting the Driving Mode menu to popup on my infotainment but I get the indication for mode change in the cluster and on the top line of the infotainment screen. In Comfort it still allows for some body roll and it does a good job muting road imperfections. I haven't spent much time in Normal but it seems pretty close to Comfort. In Sport I can feel everything in the road and body roll is greatly reduced. I'll be in Comfort mode 99% of the time with the other 1% in Sport for canyon drives.

I haven't been in a car with it to see if the difference I feel is similar to the difference on a factory install, would be interesting to see how the retrofit compares. No regrets for me although it would be tough to recommend unless you already have (or plan to switch to) aluminum knuckles for some reason.

Last edited:

UA TDI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Amazing work! I’d love to do this to my GTI someday and maybe I’ll reference back to this down the road. The coding seems a little intimidating though (at least I have VCDS). Keep us updated how it drives as it settles in!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'm going to revise/edit the first couple posts with more information when I get the chance. @AWD4416 is a good reference too, has also completed this (in a GTI), with updates in this thread. I had some additional "pain" due to the TDI having different steering knuckles and torsion beam rear.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
So I've now got Modes, including Comfort. @AWD4416 do you know what value your rear left level sensor showed fully extended? And about what value it shows with the car sitting on the suspension? My rear stays stiff, no doubt due to that sensor. I'm thinking I'm going to replace it but I'd like to know what I should be seeing for values, granted that I'm torsion beam versus your IRS.
50921421551_7687cb49e4_o.jpg
50920733063_81734365ca_o.jpg

ovdsm

<..>
* PR Code is 2H4 - Driving Profile Selection and hydraulic damper control... I interpret this as DCC
<..>
Maybe an odd question at this stage of your project, when it's finished, but I think from you I could get the answer I need. I am analyzing the a description of a car, which has an option code 2H4 and want to avoid to be lost in translation with the seller.
Does the code 2H4 mean the particular car is equipped with DCC Dynamic Chassis Control?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@ovdsm I would interpret 2H4 the same as you have, to mean a car is equipped with DCC.

Particularly given the other PR codes in that range...
2H0 CHA Without "Drive select"
2H1 CHA "Drive select"
2H2 CHA Controlled shock absorption magnetic ride
2H3 CHA Controlled shock absorption magnetic ride (sports)
2H4 CHA Driving Profile Selection and hydraulic damper control
2H5 CHA Driving Profile Selection and conventional shock absorber
2H6 CHA Drive select
2H7 CHA Drive select and magnetic shock absorbers
2H8 CHA Hydraulic shock
2H9 CHA Drive select

ovdsm

Thanks. There's still some room for doubt left, but looking at the list of all options, it is likely 2H4 meaning DCC. Electronic damper control would sound and make question a lot more clear.

ovdsm

No, I'm looking to buy a Golf GTI and trying get the full picture of the equipment. Seller says that the car has driving profile selection and DCC. Due to language barrier, I want to be exactly sure we both mean the same thing. I have the car's option list where I find it is equipped with 2H4, so I'm aiming to know it really means DCC, i.e. electronically adjusted damper stiffness.