GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DCC Retrofit

simaservis1108

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Seat Leon 5F FR
There are some guys in Germany w/ retrofitted DCC to Octavias, Leon and Golf. DCC_retrofit_Skoda_Octavia Unfortunately everthing in German...

What is the disable-issue about the rear level sensor? To my understanding G76 is either connected to J250 (DCC ECU) or J745 (Headlight Range ECU). If vehicle is equipped w/ DCC J745 pulls the rear left leveling data from CAN. After disableing DCC I guess you have to connect G76 to J745 directly to get rid of a leveling sensor fault.

That is correct.
Also with DCC headlights level continuosly while with only 55 Module they level on ignition ON once only.

AWD4416

Ready to race!
That is correct.
Also with DCC headlights level continuosly while with only 55 Module they level on ignition ON once only.

Wow I did not know this, that's really good info. Also, on the MK7.5 with LED lights, the rear level sensor goes to module 09 Central Electrics.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
There are some guys in Germany w/ retrofitted DCC to Octavias, Leon and Golf. DCC_retrofit_Skoda_Octavia Unfortunately everthing in German...

What is the disable-issue about the rear level sensor? To my understanding G76 is either connected to J250 (DCC ECU) or J745 (Headlight Range ECU). If vehicle is equipped w/ DCC J745 pulls the rear left leveling data from CAN. After disableing DCC I guess you have to connect G76 to J745 directly to get rid of a leveling sensor fault.
So you mean you need to hardwire G76 to J745? ooff sounds difficult. I guess that's why everyone just gets DCC cancellers.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Three wires from the trunk to the dash doesn‘t sound to difficult 😀

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
So you mean you need to hardwire G76 to J745? ooff sounds difficult. I guess that's why everyone just gets DCC cancellers.
And some people are doing the opposite, adding DCC instead.

Three wires from the trunk to the dash doesn‘t sound to difficult 😀
Definitely not too difficult, but if you're in there why not install ALL the wiring you can find, haha.
IMG_20201007_015254.jpgIMG_20201007_015251.jpgIMG_20201004_155914.jpg

AWD4416

Ready to race!
Thank you guys for the info on the programming. I’ve been doing a bunch of reading on this and also ordering the electronics for it.

Like @simaservis1108 said there is no swap or fec involved but there is a catch. You need driving profile programmed on the Gateway module. My 19 GTI has this so not a problem but comfort mode apparently does not show up by default after the DCC module is parameterized. But there are a few VCP files available to add this to the Gateway. Not necessarily a big deal, just sharing the info. @simaservis1108 you have any insight on this?

I also started to look on the actual struts and I saw my springs (yellow, red?, blue) show on product code PR-G34 which is the DCC struts for the Golf R. Still double checking the shocks. Considered going Bilstein but now actually thinking OEM.

simaservis1108

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Seat Leon 5F FR
You dont need driving profiles to control the DCC.

Driving profiles is used only for fast switching.
You can control the DCC settings from MIB car menu.

Also note your spring lenght/height and shock types because it affects which parameters will be loaded.

You dont want your car bottoming out on pothole and causing undercariage damage.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Now you guys are getting into some of my eventual questions... I'm looking for advice and trying to decide on a few things. Probably should mention that my goal (beyond the fun of the retrofit) is to have car that feels good highways/imperfect roads (comfort mode), maybe a bit firmer on good roads (normal mode, probably won't use this much) and can be a little stiffer and provide good control on canyon drives (sport mode). Canyon drives are the most aggressive driving I will do.

My preference would be a more comfortable comfort mode versus a sportier sport mode. I would like to be lower than stock Golf height but not as low as I am now on B6's with H&R Sports. Somewhere just a little lower than stock GTI height would be good.

First is to go with OEM dampers or B6 Damptronics. From what I've read the B6 Damptronics are 1 step above each stock mode... so B6 comfort is equivalent to OEM Normal (and so on). Unless someone has a different experience this is not what I want. So that means OEM.

The next question then is which of the OEM struts.
GTI and R both spec a different front strut... and the strut that each car specs is used for manual and DSG... so 2 front strut choices.
GTI and R both spec a different spring based on being manual or DSG... and 4 spring choices.

I seem to remember reading that the TDI was slightly heavier than a GTI but I can't find anything to definitively prove that. I would suspect the difference is still less than the weight difference between a GTI/R. My car is a manual and I wouldn't mind being a touch lower than a stock GTI so I'm thinking GTI strut with GTI manual springs. For reasons unknown the GTI DCC strut is ~150 more expensive than the R DCC strut, why VW?

Thoughts, opinions....

I'll get into the discussion about the rear in a separate post later, it's a bit complicated since the TDI is torsion beam and not IRS.

AWD4416

Ready to race!
@Cuzoe im with you on comfort over the potential track day that might never happen for me.

One of my friends has a MK7 Golf R, besides non OEM wheels, everything related to the suspension is stock. It’s definitely a smoother ride compared to my GTI on every road especially the crappie roads in the city. He usually has it in comfort mode except when he feels it needs to breath and race mode does a heck of a job stiffing up the suspension.

My typical commute is 1 hour long each way so really doing my homework on getting the proper struts to pair with my factory springs. I used the following site to look up my spring color code and find what DCC struts VW match them with. It’s looking like Golf R struts for me. By the way I’m on a GTI with DSG.

https://www.ilcats.ru/vw/?vin=5Q051...subgroup=411&part=411012&pid=3181&language=en

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Out of curiosity, why would you choose Golf R struts instead of the GTI DCC struts that are applicable to your car?

Or are you saying that the DCC struts should be chosen to match your current springs? And if that's the case wouldn't that suggest that your car has the wrong springs installed? There are different springs specified based on GTI/R and MT/DSG.

The reason I've been digging around is because the NAR Mk7 TDI had no DCC option. Of course as I'm thinking through this more I imagine the GTD did have the DCC option and I should just get whatever DCC front struts/springs that car came with. Hopefully it's a part number that I can get here in the states.

AWD4416

Ready to race!
Out of curiosity, why would you choose Golf R struts instead of the GTI DCC struts that are applicable to your car?

Or are you saying that the DCC struts should be chosen to match your current springs? And if that's the case wouldn't that suggest that your car has the wrong springs installed? There are different springs specified based on GTI/R and MT/DSG.

The reason I've been digging around is because the NAR Mk7 TDI had no DCC option. Of course as I'm thinking through this more I imagine the GTD did have the DCC option and I should just get whatever DCC front struts/springs that car came with. Hopefully it's a part number that I can get here in the states.

Wow had to edit my last post. I was going off the color code but the orange color look more like a faded red, that was why i thought I needed a Golf R strut.

I'm going for OEM or OEM+ but leaning on comfort. I did find the proper GTI strut 5Q0-413-031-FM, but now I need to see what spring is the proper one. Need to do some more digging. Worst case scenario if I can't find a good deal on the OEM struts is going with the Bilstein B4s.

Quick edit, looks like GTIs with DCC use the same springs I already have 5QM-411-105-AC

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Yea... I started putting together a list but it wasn't organized enough to post yet...

GTI DCC Front Strut - 5Q0 413 031 FM - $485
Manual Front Spring - 5QM 411 105 AB - $164
DSG Front Spring - 5QM 411 105 AC - $164

Golf R DCC Front Strut - 5Q0 413 031 ED - $336
Manual Front Spring - 5Q0 411 105 JF - $113
DSG Front Spring - 5Q0 411 105 JG - $107

For whatever reason, all the Golf R parts are cheaper. I noticed the same thing when I was looking for gloss interior trim... Golf R vents were considerably cheaper than GTI vents. Weird VW stuff, demand driven I suppose. I suspect the GTI parts will be better suited to my TDI but at MSRP the Golf R setup is $400 cheaper :ROFLMAO: