GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DCC Retrofit

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
Editing datasets is just a waste of time if you don't have a valid fec/swap code. Once you have a valid swap/fec code you can edit the dataset for it. Because in some exceptional cases, some valid swap codes are not visible.

Also, as mentioned, a single swap code cannot be purchased but can be activated easily once you have valid entitlements. In other words, if there is no comfort mode, comfort can be activated, if there is no race mode, race can be activated.

Finally, the pr codes quoted above do not only include your swap codes, but also the pr code on their shock absorbers. So when you have 2H5 pr code and you have comfort mode, you can upgrade to dcc. Many cars that are already dcc are produced from the factory with the code 2H7, as they have a driving profile.

When you first install dcc and then activate the driving profiles with the activation document, your shock absorbers will not come out of the factory, so you put pr again, it becomes 2H5.

I hope it was useful and understandable. :)
Thanks Doctor

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
FPA order of SW/FW updates as per official instructions is ensuring these modules are up to date!

01 Engine electronics

09 Central switching unit VSM

13 Adaptive cruise control ea market

19 Data bus diagnostic interface

44 Power steering

5F Information system electronics

I didn't think there would be a need to do anything with the ECU, but there again, DCC is the most interesting of all the retofits so far....unless anybody has done a panoramic sunroof retrofit?

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
So my coding update for DCC so far is:

Module 01 Engine​

Operating Mode Selection

Module 03 Brakes/ABS Long Coding​

Byte 27 Bit 7 ticked = "DCC Installed"

Module 4b Long Coding​

• Source Height Value ->DCC
  • LWR Sensors ->2
  • Steering Curve
  • Chassis Unit
  • Eco Mode

Module 5f Long Coding​

• Byte 19 Suspension Arm Side -? LHD RHD?
  • Byte 22 Wheel Drive?

Module 5f Adaptations​

• Wheel Circ. ->
  • P Damping Display ->
  • Vehicle Configuration -> Vehicle Readiness Sound

Car Function List BAP Gen2​

• Charimsa_0x17 -> Active (If you haven’t previously had driving modes)
  • Charimsa_0x17 msg bus -> Databus infotainment (If you haven’t previously had driving modes)

Car Function Adaptations Gen2​

• Menu Display charisma -> Activated (If you haven’t previously had driving modes)
  • Menu Display charisma over threshold high -> Activated (If you haven’t previously had driving modes)
  • Menu Display charisma standstill-> Activated (If you haven’t previously had driving modes)

Vehicle Function List BAP 2nd Generation, expansion not yet confirmed

• Fas Profile 0x4D - >
  • Fas Profile 0x4D msg bus - >
  • Daf Profile 0x51 - >
  • Daf Profile 0x51 msg bus - >
  • Chassis Control 0x57 - >
  • Chassis Control 0x57 msg bus - > According to wiring diagram (and how I've wired it ;/) it’s running on (CAN running gears) – Databus drivetrain OR suspension data bus?

Module 09 Central Electrics Long Coding​

Byte 6, Bit 2 Suspension Levelling?

Module 09 Central Electrics Adaptation​

• Button in centre console - So the FPA update pack if you never had profiles before tells you to update this module to ensure it’s up to date. ->Driving Profile Button
  • Int. light 2nd Generation - Also ambient lighting dependent on driving mode choice is a dependency too (Shown in
  • Personalisierung – Profile Variants
  • Ambientelicht Zuordnung – Fahrprofil 0-15 Choose your colour depending on the mode 😊

Module 13 ACC Long Coding​

• Drive PMode selection – Driving Profile Selection (If you don’t already have it)
  • Drive mode race: 1 (My guess with this is it’s based on a lookup table in the Gateway 19.)
  • Drive mode dynamic: 2
  • Drive mode standard: 4
  • Drive mode comfort: 5
  • Drive mode allroad: 4
  • Drive mode efficiency: 7
  • Drive mode offroad: 4
  • Sailing Function : Active/Not Active – Coasting Mode in ECO?
  • SWaP FSID Group 1: 8
  • SWaP FSID Group 2: 0
  • SWaP FSID Group 3: 4
  • SWaP FSID Group 4: 0

Module 14 Dampening (DCC)​

Basic Settings but can only be done when all four wheels are off the ground. This is essentially for the car to calibrate what is the maximum value for the wheels to be off the ground, Ignition on, Bonnet Up,, Engine off.

For everyone with error 00149 - End of Line Programming not Completed, I have found a way to finally clear it. You will have this error if you bought a used unit (replaced) or flashed yours to newer version.
To fix this you need to save your VIN in adaptation channel 30 by saving value 1
Address 14: Susp. Elect. (J250), Login: 06865 Adaptation channell 30 save 1.
After this I had to cycle key two times,or if this doesn't work, remove power to electronic fuse and error is gone after that automatically or clear faults.
For basic setting you need to lift your car so that wheel are hung and sensors are reading values,
Address 14: Susp. Elect. (J250) Login: 31564, Basic Settings: channell: 1 Go ON/OFF.

Module 16 Steering Column Long Coding​

Can’t find anything yet but I’d be surprised if DCC didn’t change steering feel.

Module 17 Dashboard Long Coding​

Possibly appears as Dynamic Cruise Control ? DCC ?

Module 17 Dashboard Adaptations​

• Adaptive Chassis Control -> Installed
  • Driving Profiled for range remaining.

Module 19 Gateway Long Coding​

• FPA FunktionStuffenDCC -> Active
  • Byte 08 Driving Programs
  • FahrProfilAuswahl ->Driving profile Selection
  • BCME Komforte Reichweite -> Comfort range

Module 19 Gateway Adaptation​

• Installation List ->Wheel Dampening Electronics - >Yes
  • Driving Profile Selection Parameter –>Might be interested to know what selection counter master reset does?
  • Sollverbau – Fahrprofildrechschalter -> For 4motion 4x4’s only. The rotary knob thing.
Drivers Profile" is SWaP (software as a product) and can only be activated via ODIS. If you’re after the buttons, wiring and activation buy the 5G0054809 FeC if no driving profiles are present ~£120

Module 22 All Wheel Drive​

Chassis ->

Module 44 Steering Assistance​

• Wheel Dampening Electronics ->Active
  • Driving Profile selection -> Active
  • All Wheel Drive unchecked on a golf r? this the same for anybody else?

Unconfirmed - Module 20 High Beam Assist + 55 Xenon Headlights

The headlights will have previously been getting their positioning exclusively based on the rear level sensor G76 so we’ll need to code it so that they get their message from DCC from now on. This will be done in Module 4B

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Three cheers for the coding brigade! :)

The GitHub repo or more specifically the bit terrain file (.BT) just needs a slight tweak for the L variant of the gateway as oppose to the Q variant. Nothing a bit of hex translation won't fix.

I think because L may lack things Q has, it's shifted a few bits to the right.

In a nutshell what I think scared people about this approach was the lack of terminology explained. 6 steps to success or fun or as others have shamed it to be "not fun"

1. Take your own gateway dataset.xml via ODIS. [Online only]
  2. Load it into a hex editor.
  3. Overlay the dacool/jilleb's binary terrain map by importing the bt. file
  4. Then hit output view console
  5. You can see what's residing in your gateway.
  6. Alternatively, use some other sample gateway sets out there to play with.
I think you will find that is the least "troublesome" part of the whole thing. Once you start editing it's all the different places within the dataset where things have to match or otherwise correspond, else you get weirdness in the car (missing selections, inoperative selections, etc.). Good thing is of course nothing can be broken if you make an FPA dataset mistake, but it can be time consuming if you're making several edits.

I'm still hoping to get my hands on an Arteon or Passat dataset for Software Index C of the DCC module so I can get the slider working.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@jamstonmartames I'm not going to quote the whole coding post... but have you confirmed all of these as related to DCC and necessary to get it working? Although all my topics wander into off-topic discussion (which I quite enjoy) I would like to keep any coding recommendations on topic and limited to confirmed findings.

A couple things I noticed that are different in your coding post versus my car, and other thoughts...

Module 5f Adaptations​

• Wheel Circ. -> 195mm in my car, I didn't change this, not sure what it has to do with DCC
  • P Damping Display -> 5 ms in my car, not sure it has to do with DCC
  • Vehicle Configuration -> Vehicle Readiness Sound both Readiness Sound and Leaving Sound are set to not active, not DCC related
fas, daf and charisma are all set to comfort data bus in my ad-map.

Module 09 Central Electrics Long Coding​

Byte 6, Bit 2 Suspension Levelling? This is almost certainly for VAG cars with air ride and thus adjustable heights, not applicable for DCC

Module 09 Central Electrics Adaptation​

• Button in centre console - ...Driving Profile Button should be checked, you can also check the orange LED as installed/not installed
  • Int. light 2nd Generation - Also ambient lighting dependent on driving mode choice is a dependency too
    • This is a set of 30+ adaptation channels, none of which are DCC related
  • Personalisierung – Profile Variants this is not active in my car, IIRC this is about driver profiles and not driving profiles
  • Ambientelicht Zuordnung – Fahrprofil 0-15 Choose your colour depending on the mode 😊 you need a lot more than this, and not DCC related... good start here though, use translate.

Module 16 Steering Column Long Coding​

The long coding here is only 2 bytes and this is the clock spring module. Nothing DCC related. Anything to do with steering feel would be in 44...
There is coding regarding the buttons on your MFSW and stalks (I just installed stalks with Driver Assist button, coded here)

Module 44 Steering Assistance​

• Wheel Dampening Electronics ->Active
  • Driving Profile selection -> Active If you have driving profiles this would be active, though not really DCC related.
  • All Wheel Drive unchecked on a golf r? this the same for anybody else? I don't know about this one, there are VWAG (Porsche) vehicles with some form of rear wheel steering though. That would be a different control module but I would assume it gets input from the "main" steering module, possibly the reason for this option. I have learned the hardway to leave well enough alone with coding/adaptations that I just have a hunch about. Either that or I make that change only when I have time to mess around. You can always go back of course, but you may induce faults if you get modules to start looking for other modules.

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
Continuing today with wiring checks of the DCC harness and the "missing plug" for G76 (left rear level sensor) @ZERO815 is exactly right. This breakout (in this harness) for this sensor is wired up to the front of the car and would be long enough to reach the headlight range ECU. The expectation is that you would de-pin the three wires for G76 here and wire them directly to the DCC ECU.
View attachment 187905

My solution for that will be partial custom wire harness coming from G76, tessa taped and zip tied to the harness that goes to the left rear shock. I will unwrap enough the harness near the DCC ECU connector to find the three G76 wires. I'll cut them here and splice my wires in. Then I'll cap/stow (on both sides) the wiring for G76 that came in the harness.

Hey

Did you go tap into these wires here on the rear left side?

1657611487830.png

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Hey

Did you go tap into these wires here on the rear left side?

View attachment 255115
My car had no rear level sensor so I added the wires that you show in your picture. But yes that is where you would tap in. If your car has auto-leveling headlights (I'm assuming so since you have that sensor) I believe the headlight range module gets coded to pull leveling data from the can bus. I'm not sure if you can have the level sensor wired to BCM, DCC and Range Module.

In the Erwin diagrams for my car, early Mk7, G76 is not connected to the BCM at all. It either goes to J745 - Range Module or J250 - DCC Module.
- On a car like mine, with no range module, straight to the DCC module.
- Car like yours, with no DCC, straight to the range module.
- Cars with both, wired to DCC module and range module coded appropriately.

Later on I think the level sensor was also wired to the BCM. Facelift cars began using Lighting Control Modules (wired to the BCM) and I assume they would get their level data on the can bus, through the BCM.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I had never installed any before tearing my car apart, nor had I done brakes. For this retrofit I had to switch to aluminum GTI knuckles, and did Macan brakes at the same time. If you have time for the car to be out of commission that takes a lot of stress away. But if you need your car for work after the weekend or something it could be (not) fun if you get stuck.

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
I had never installed any before tearing my car apart, nor had I done brakes. For this retrofit I had to switch to aluminum GTI knuckles, and did Macan brakes at the same time. If you have time for the car to be out of commission that takes a lot of stress away. But if you need your car for work after the weekend or something it could be (not) fun if you get stuck.
So I have these too along with some other goodies, but trying to break it down into smaller jobs as there is a cupra 370 brembos, subframe, wishbones, spindles, sway and other things pinned for that job. All 2nd hand refurbed by me :)

DCC coding will be done shortly.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You're doing it the wrong long way in my limited opinion. You're going to need an alignment (if you intend to do much driving) after doing most of those things so why not do them all at once while you have these suspension torn apart anyway?

And with all of the one time used vaults, we're going to be replacing quite a few in multiple times. They aren't that expensive but still annoying to part numbers and keep track. I have like 20 bolts/nuts that I bought twice 😬.

And what do these Cupra brakes look like, pics? I refuse to run a wheel bigger than 17" so 370mm is not an option for me.

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
You're doing it the wrong long way in my limited opinion. You're going to need an alignment (if you intend to do much driving) after doing most of those things so why not do them all at once while you have these suspension torn apart anyway?

And with all of the one time used vaults, we're going to be replacing quite a few in multiple times. They aren't that expensive but still annoying to part numbers and keep track. I have like 20 bolts/nuts that I bought twice 😬.

And what do these Cupra brakes look like, pics? I refuse to run a wheel bigger than 17" so 370mm is not an option for me.
I agree with what you're saying in respect to the order of installation, but timing hasn't played to my favour here. So it's something I'll just have to bite for now. I have a bunch of spare bolts too so you're not an alien :)

The cupra brakes are definitely the most underrated vag part going that is sub rs3 level. The issue is supply for aftermarket discs is limited to SHW (OEM), Zimmerman and ABS all at 370x32mm however a whole raft of suppliers do 370mmx34mm at a cheaper price point but I can't afford punts on brake caliper diameters, neither would I risk anything with brakes.

https://www.killerbrakes.com/produc...brake-calipers-5f0615105-5f0615106-black-new/

This is for what they are new but some comprehensive part numbers in there. There is also this thread which goes into detail. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/ttrs-brembo-upgrade-info.392933/
I couldn't afford those prices so patiently waited for a few bits to appear on the bay.

Back on the notion of DCC....

I have 5 errors after coding, let the games begin:

14. Wheel Dampening
  1. Data Record Invalid (Unsure as to what this is so far.)
  2. Basic Setting not performed (Expected)
  3. Left front level control system sensor - Short Circuit to Ground - (Dodgy level sensor on the left? Or I caught the cable with a knife somewhere :eek:)
4b. Multifunction
  1. Databus error value received - (Unsure as to what this is so far.)
  2. headlight - No Basic Setting - Is this actually now needed?

A functional error is that even with Charisma activated, no DCC settings are viewable in the MMI upon hitting the profiles button.

My Coding was as follows:

Module 03 Brakes/ABS Long Coding​

Byte 27 Bit 7 ticked = "DCC Installed"

Module 4b Long Coding​

• Source Height Value ->DCC
  • LWR Sensors ->2

5F Vehicle Function List BAP 2nd Generation, expansion not yet confirmed​

• Chassis Control 0x57 - >
  • Chassis Control 0x57 msg bus - > According to wiring diagram (and how I've wired it ;/) it’s running on (CAN running gears) – Databus drivetrain OR suspension data bus? This could be throwing my data record invalid?

Module 17 Dashboard Long Coding​

• Adaptive Chassis Control -> Installed

Module 19 Gateway Long Coding​

• FPA FunktionStuffenDCC -> Active

Module 19 Gateway Adaptation​

• Installation List ->Wheel Dampening Electronics - >Yes

I think I might have missed:

44 Steering Assistance
Wheel Dampening Electronics ->Active

5F- Vehicle Function List BAP 2nd Generation, expansion

• Fas Profile 0x4D - >
  • Fas Profile 0x4D msg bus - >
  • Daf Profile 0x51 - >
  • Daf Profile 0x51 msg bus - >

Module 09 Central Electrics Long Coding

Byte 6, Bit 2 Suspension Levelling

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'll help with what I can, and I'll add the latest full scan from my car at the bottom of the post in an edit later. Keeping in mind I don't have headlight range module 4B.

14. Wheel Dampening
    1. From what I understand the DCC module will "drop" its dataset if installed into a car with a different VIN from what is coded in the module
    2. You will likely need to load up a GTI dataset for this one
    1. Of course we know this one, but it may not be possible until you clear the Data Record Invalid fault.
    2. I don't recall having to enter my VIN, but I had to clear out the VIN of the car my used module came from, this might be in basic settings somewhere
      1. I did find this, sounds familiar, but I can't remember for sure
  3. Left front level control system sensor - Short Circuit to Ground - (Dodgy level sensor on the left? Or I caught the cable with a knife somewhere :eek:)
    1. Well now this one is simple, fix it :LOL:

4b. Multifunction
    1. Probably the faulty data from the DCC connected level sensor that still needs basic settings done
    1. I would think you would need to run headlight basic settings once you have proper leveling data received
Note that I don't have module 4B so this paragraph and the above is all semi-educated guessing. If you tapped into the rear level sensor wiring for DCC (and it's still connected to module 4B) you could probably set the "Source Height Value" back to whatever it was. I'm assuming you LWR sensors used to be "1" but is now set to "2"... that would be another reason the module wants you to run basic settings and is complaining about received values.

From my 5F Ad-map...
IDE11524-ENG249835-Vehicle function list BAP 2nd generation: expansion-chassis_control_0x57not activated
IDE11524-ENG249836-Vehicle function list BAP 2nd generation: expansion-chassis_control_0x57_msg_busComfort data bus

IDE11524-ENG142168-Vehicle function list BAP 2nd generation: expansion-fas_profile_0x4Dactivated
IDE11524-ENG142169-Vehicle function list BAP 2nd generation: expansion-fas_profile_0x4D_msg_busComfort data bus

IDE11524-ENG152529-Vehicle function list BAP 2nd generation: expansion-daf_profile_0x51activated
IDE11524-ENG152530-Vehicle function list BAP 2nd generation: expansion-daf_profile_0x51_msg_busComfort data bus

And regarding the BCM, on my pre-facelift BCM Byte 2 Bit 6 was not enabled. I suspect this may have to do with active leveling (as in factory air suspension) which does not apply.

And as far as DCC settings showing up when you press the Driving Mode button... I'm assuming you get the other options, just no DCC. If yes, that is function of your driving profile data set. You need to get a gateway dataset from a car that is like yours, but with DCC. Or if you have a gateway that is 3Q0907530Q or higher you can customize a driving profile dataset of your own.

I retrofitted a 3Q0 gateway (car came with a 5Q0) so that I could customize my driving profiles, and because it was needed for MK8 steering wheel.

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
I'll help with what I can, and I'll add the latest full scan from my car at the bottom of the post in an edit later. Keeping in mind I don't have headlight range module 4B.

14. Wheel Dampening
    1. From what I understand the DCC module will "drop" its dataset if installed into a car with a different VIN from what is coded in the module
    2. You will likely need to load up a GTI dataset for this one
    1. Of course we know this one, but it may not be possible until you clear the Data Record Invalid fault.
    2. I don't recall having to enter my VIN, but I had to clear out the VIN of the car my used module came from, this might be in basic settings somewhere
      1. I did find this, sounds familiar, but I can't remember for sure
    1. Well now this one is simple, fix it :LOL:

4b. Multifunction
    1. Probably the faulty data from the DCC connected level sensor that still needs basic settings done
    1. I would think you would need to run headlight basic settings once you have proper leveling data received
Note that I don't have module 4B so this paragraph and the above is all semi-educated guessing. If you tapped into the rear level sensor wiring for DCC (and it's still connected to module 4B) you could probably set the "Source Height Value" back to whatever it was. I'm assuming you LWR sensors used to be "1" but is now set to "2"... that would be another reason the module wants you to run basic settings and is complaining about received values.

From my 5F Ad-map...
IDE11524-ENG249835-Vehicle function list BAP 2nd generation: expansion-chassis_control_0x57not activated
IDE11524-ENG249836-Vehicle function list BAP 2nd generation: expansion-chassis_control_0x57_msg_busComfort data bus

IDE11524-ENG142168-Vehicle function list BAP 2nd generation: expansion-fas_profile_0x4Dactivated
IDE11524-ENG142169-Vehicle function list BAP 2nd generation: expansion-fas_profile_0x4D_msg_busComfort data bus

IDE11524-ENG152529-Vehicle function list BAP 2nd generation: expansion-daf_profile_0x51activated
IDE11524-ENG152530-Vehicle function list BAP 2nd generation: expansion-daf_profile_0x51_msg_busComfort data bus

And regarding the BCM, on my pre-facelift BCM Byte 2 Bit 6 was not enabled. I suspect this may have to do with active leveling (as in factory air suspension) which does not apply.

And as far as DCC settings showing up when you press the Driving Mode button... I'm assuming you get the other options, just no DCC. If yes, that is function of your driving profile data set. You need to get a gateway dataset from a car that is like yours, but with DCC. Or if you have a gateway that is 3Q0907530Q or higher you can customize a driving profile dataset of your own.

I retrofitted a 3Q0 gateway (car came with a 5Q0) so that I could customize my driving profiles, and because it was needed for MK8 steering wheel.

1. @Cuzoe, do you have Byte 12, Bit 7 enabled in the 19. Gateway? as well as Byte 9 Bit 7
  2. In 14 Wheel Dampening there are a few values in both adaptation and basic settings. Which ones did you play with? There are even 16 values for Chassis Data. Is that the VIN number with one less digit?
  3. Basic Settings just doesn't want to work for me. A friend used vagcom for me to see what was possible and it said that left front was not possible for adaptation but right front and right rear was which is odd.
  4. How many LWR sensors (LeuchtWeitenRegelung) did you declare in Headlights 55/Multifunction 4B? 1 or 2? I'm thinking this values toys with the deflection values in the DCC module because there appears to be 4 sensors for adjusting in adaptation.
ADAPTATIONS:
14.1.png
1657987943545.png

BASIC SETTINGS:
1657987983408.png

4. So before we get into flashing or writing datasets, It's probably worth checking if I have the right control units. These look correct yes?

09 Central Electrics
System description: BCM MQBAB M+
Software number: 5Q0937084CP
Software version: 0253
Hardware number: 5Q0937084CF
Hardware version: H36

19 Gateway
System description: GW MQB High
Software number: 3Q0907530L
Software version: 5323
Hardware number: 3Q0907530C
Hardware version: 518

14 Wheel Dampening
System description: DAEMPFUNGS-SG
Software number: 5Q0907376B
Software version: 0121 would ideally like that v130 for the slider :) on the C variant.
Hardware number: 5Q0907376A
Hardware version: H17

Last edited:

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
Ok, so we've got the menu with DCC :) Didn't need to flash the gateway or upload any datasets, it was literally Byte 12, Bit 7 in the 19. Gateway which was missing and unplug the battery for a while.
14.6.jpg
14.7.jpg

Experience of driving around for 15 minutes is like driving on a cloud and this is a car on 19's :) however, with DCC being branded as more subtle amongst the GTI's and R's, I would argue those coming from those cars will notice the difference even more as the ride is fairly firm in the R on standard shocks. Perhaps Golf's that weren't firm to start with, benefit less from the ability to go softer but more from the range of dynamism the car will now move between.

I will admit though, It's bobbing around is default/limp mode as I couldn't get the basic settings to work because when checking the live data for adapting with deflected wheels, Left Front was not possible, neither was right rear (which was odd as I don't have a right rear) I don't know if anyone has seen this issue before, but it's almost as if the sensor was saying my wheel wasn't off the ground enough? Another reader suggested that there is a trick to getting it to work here

14.4.png
14.5.png

At this point I'm not sure how many LWR (LeuchtWeitenRegelung) sensors I should be declaring to the Headlight Module? 1 or 2? and I'm also missing Headlight Basic Settings for AFS which was not solved by running basic settings in 09. Central Electrics. There is a Basis Settings in 4B (55 for those of you with different lights) that looks pretty intimidating by going back to factory settings.

14.8.jpg
14.10.png
14.9.png

Last edited: