GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DCC -- keep with springs, or get coilovers?

reyoasian

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a MK7 GTI Autobahn DSG/Navi/Leather/PP -- basically fully loaded.

In Canada, however, PP costs $2,300 (+13% taxes)!! The reason being, it comes with DCC included.

I wish DCC was a separate option so I can go straight to getting coilovers.

Unfortunately, this has become a tough decision:
- should I get lowering springs (VWR) and keep DCC (second part of this question is, how long before the stock shocks crap out, and how expensive is it to replace the DCC shocks?)
- should I forget DCC and get coilovers? (probably something on the lines of Bilstein PSS, or KWV1/V2)

Hope to get some advice

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
KW makes DCC Compatible coilovers for MK6 before, I am assuming they might still for MK7....

I think the shocks themselves to get as replacement parts from dealer is going to be like $7-800 per shock.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
KW does make a Plug N Play DCC Kit and a ECU DCC Kit (vehicles that do not come from factory with DCC). In addition, Bilstein is currently in pre-production development on a system too.

reyoasian

Passed Driver's Ed
KW makes DCC Compatible coilovers for MK6 before, I am assuming they might still for MK7....

I think the shocks themselves to get as replacement parts from dealer is going to be like $7-800 per shock.

KW does make a Plug N Play DCC Kit and a ECU DCC Kit (vehicles that do not come from factory with DCC). In addition, Bilstein is currently in pre-production development on a system too.

The KW system would be expensive though I'd assume.
I'm hopeing they would make the sleeve-over kit, which a friend used on his M3 and kept the factory variable suspension features.

I'll look into the Bilstein one you mentioned.

Last edited:

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
I would recommend using a complete replacement coilover rather than a sleeve style system. You wont get as long of a life of the factory shock, to say how long of a life you will see, I can't really say. In the long run the pricing to replace all 4 will be more costly than had you gone the full coilover route from the beginning.

The options for the MK7 chassis in the NA market are limited right now. So I would suggest waiting for products to hit the market. I think overall going with the adjustable suspension from the factory will be more appealing when these parts are available, I have a feeling you'd regret not opting for it.

reyoasian

Passed Driver's Ed
I would recommend using a complete replacement coilover rather than a sleeve style system. You wont get as long of a life of the factory shock, to say how long of a life you will see, I can't really say. In the long run the pricing to replace all 4 will be more costly than had you gone the full coilover route from the beginning.

The options for the MK7 chassis in the NA market are limited right now. So I would suggest waiting for products to hit the market. I think overall going with the adjustable suspension from the factory will be more appealing when these parts are available, I have a feeling you'd regret not opting for it.

Thanks. Coilovers is definitely my #1 preference, if DCC was not interfering with my decision.

However, if I get coilovers now I feel like I'm getting an option (DCC) which I paid for but not utilizing; this is where the headache comes in for me. Unfortunately, DCC is mandatory with PP in Canada.

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
Thanks. Coilovers is definitely my #1 preference, if DCC was not interfering with my decision.

However, if I get coilovers now I feel like I'm getting an option (DCC) which I paid for but not utilizing; this is where the headache comes in for me. Unfortunately, DCC is mandatory with PP in Canada.

Totally understand, I'd feel the same way. I would definitely recommend the wait, you will be glad you did so. :cool: