GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DCC for autocross? w/MK7 GTI in GS or STH

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I'll take your word for that. Haven't done it. I've used big rear spring bias for balance (with no bars). I'd prefer this to messing with the eccentric bolts, but maybe some day I'll try it.

On slower parking lots, it's damn near perfect for me. Car turns so easily in tight elements. On fast power courses, it's a bit unstable but that could be my skill level.
This is with GTI springs like your signature or something else? What are you doing now?

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
This is with GTI springs like your signature or something else? What are you doing now?
my sig is a little vague.
front: gti springs with two spring rubbers. stock golf front bar (disconnected).
rear: gti springs, 2000# bump springs fully packed, superpro rear bar (disconnected).

So...this much bias is great on slower, smoother courses. tire wear seems good up front, worse in the back.

ran this recently on a fast power course and in anticipation of too much bias, put a lid on my driving and the front tire wear was too much, so I'm going to bandaid it with a bigger bar for those events until I figure a better way to work with the front spring rate on faster courses.

edit: more info here, though rear bump springs were Softer
Post in thread 'Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup' https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...back-sth-discussion-setup.366133/post-7630558

Last edited:

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
front: gti springs with two spring rubbers. stock golf front bar (disconnected).
rear: gti springs, 2000# bump springs fully packed, superpro rear bar (disconnected).

So...this much bias is great on slower, smoother courses. tire wear seems good up front, worse in the back.

ran this recently on a fast power course and in anticipation of too much bias, put a lid on my driving and the front tire wear was too much, so I'm going to bandaid it with a bigger bar for those events until I figure a better way to work with the front spring rate on faster courses.
Wow, I would not touch that setup with a 10 foot pole!

Okay, not much we can interpolate from your setup to just about anyone else's. You'd need a lot of spring rate to compensate for no bars. I calculated three scenarios for my setup here ---> https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...ay-bars-or-both-and-more.384453/#post-7650381

For no bars I would need 1350/1550 in/lb springs

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Wow, I would not touch that setup with a 10 foot pole!

Okay, not much we can interpolate from your setup to just about anyone else's. You'd need a lot of spring rate to compensate for no bars. I calculated three scenarios for my setup here ---> https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...ay-bars-or-both-and-more.384453/#post-7650381

For no bars I would need 1350/1550 in/lb springs
thanks for that, your estimate for the rear isn't that far off. My front may only be around 500#.

Ultimately, I want to go bump spring in the front, but I need to figure out the execution that doesn't screw over daily ride quality.

There is some potential benefit from overshooting with bump springs / bump stops as they can be tuned to lower rates without pulling the strut / shock. That, and the ability to maintain street comfort.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

edit: more info here, though rear bump springs were Softer
Post in thread 'Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup' https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...back-sth-discussion-setup.366133/post-7630558
Question, you’re running one of those spring with in a spring springs? I forget what it’s called. Beehive maybe?

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Question, you’re running one of those spring with in a spring springs? I forget what it’s called. Beehive maybe?
bump springs are like bump stops (but they're springs). In my case, they sit on the shock shaft, instead of a bump stop. Check out the link above to read a (hopefully :) ) clearer explanation of how I use them.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
My setup is pretty comfortable on non-terrible roads. But it cost a pretty penny, and I don't change much from street to track, so there is very little up-keep.

I drive this thing everywhere! (Face Book group joke)
yeah my daily ride is soft and chill. Jekyll / Hyde with prep / unprep.

The approach is odd but part of the goal has been searching for ways to change setup with prep.

glitronic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI AutobahnDSG
(OP here)
So, I've done a handful of events this season in my new to me 2018 GTI Autobahn DSG (w/DCC) now. 17x7.5 Sparco Assetto Gara with 245/40-17 Falken RT660's. Running GS.

I didn't intend to be too serious this season, more of a last hurrah before I move out of the country next year. Thus, after much consideration I didn't ever upgrade either rear or front swaybar. I was tempted to do the front, just to try that out, but dealing with stretch bolts, lowering subframe, probably messing up the alignment, etc, it just wasn't worth the hassle to me. I could have thrown on a rear bar easily, but I didn't want to change the balance and make the front bar less effective (which is something I read following some links elsewhere in this forum). I think there is merit in that argument.
So, I've been running with stock swaybars (remember the DCC rear swaybar is 21.7mm vs the regular GTI's 20mm). I also never messed with the alignment other than measuring the rear toe with is at 1/8".

I think the car is really well balanced as-is and I like it more than my previous GTI (2017 Sport DSG that I ran with stock struts and 25.4mm hollow rear bar on 245 Nexens as well as Koni Sports and 27mm hollow rear bar on 245 RE71Rs).
The car is happy to comply with throttle lift turn in and slight oversteer, without getting too loose. It's less prone to severe understeer as well. Like I read, I do concur that slapping a big rear bar on a GTI just makes the rear end pick up earlier, shifting weight to the front outside quicker. Whereas the stock DCC swaybar setup is more balanced overall, especially to the point before the rear tire picks up.