GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DBV2 TIP experience

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
I wanted to post my recent experience with DBV2, specifically their TIP that was a Christmas present. I recently went to install this and noticed that the PCV bung weld look to have been ground through on the inside. Apparently the bung is welded to the pipe and then a drill press is run through to open the hole, in the below pictures you can see the material missing from inside of the PCV bung and what look like marks from a grinder inside the pipe where the PCV bung meets it. I went to install the TIP and everything looked good, I was able to tighten down the factory bolt to secure the TIP, but it wiggled, below you can see the picture of how the tabs didn't line up at all with the OEM IS38 housing. I was told these are built in a jig and there was a variance that was within tolerance when testing on the DBV2 jig.

I ended up returning this part, and am glad I did based on the fact that is was $200 plus $45 shipping (it cost be 20 to send it back) and had obvious QC issues. I requested a full refund and, to be fair I forgot to return the silicone coupler (what that connects to I don't know) and a worm clamp, however I was told a refund would be processed minus a 25% restocking fee. Through the return/refund process Dan argued that there was nothing wrong with the PCV bung and that their part fit just fine on their jig, I don't know how this is possible because my turbo is the same as any other IS38...or is it?

In any event I was told I could get a refund minus 25% restocking fee or a new part sent. I would have really preferred a full refund since the item didn't work at all and I was not interested in another overly expensive poorly QC'ed TIP.
20220408_134335.jpg
20220408_134408.jpg
20220408_140517.jpg
20220408_145609.jpg

FB-GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW GTI -> Golf R
Thanks for the review. No way I would pay a restocking fee for a defective product. I don't recall reading any issues from others with this part, maybe give them a chance to send you a good unit.

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for the review. No way I would pay a restocking fee for a defective product. I don't recall reading any issues from others with this part, maybe give them a chance to send you a good unit.
I already ended up purchasing an MST with silicone intake tube. The DBV2 didn't come with a 3inch silicone hose, MST would sell one for 150 so for 350 you can get a similar setup as the MST for 100 more.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
The tabs on the inlet don't even come close to the recesses on the turbo?

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
I havent been a real fan of my dbv2 turbo inlet just because it constantly leaks. The oring they provide is trash mine leaks non stop no matter how many times i replace it.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I wanted to post my recent experience with DBV2, specifically their TIP that was a Christmas present. I recently went to install this and noticed that the PCV bung weld look to have been ground through on the inside. Apparently the bung is welded to the pipe and then a drill press is run through to open the hole, in the below pictures you can see the material missing from inside of the PCV bung and what look like marks from a grinder inside the pipe where the PCV bung meets it. I went to install the TIP and everything looked good, I was able to tighten down the factory bolt to secure the TIP, but it wiggled, below you can see the picture of how the tabs didn't line up at all with the OEM IS38 housing. I was told these are built in a jig and there was a variance that was within tolerance when testing on the DBV2 jig.

I ended up returning this part, and am glad I did based on the fact that is was $200 plus $45 shipping (it cost be 20 to send it back) and had obvious QC issues. I requested a full refund and, to be fair I forgot to return the silicone coupler (what that connects to I don't know) and a worm clamp, however I was told a refund would be processed minus a 25% restocking fee. Through the return/refund process Dan argued that there was nothing wrong with the PCV bung and that their part fit just fine on their jig, I don't know how this is possible because my turbo is the same as any other IS38...or is it?

In any event I was told I could get a refund minus 25% restocking fee or a new part sent. I would have really preferred a full refund since the item didn't work at all and I was not interested in another overly expensive poorly QC'ed TIP.View attachment 247446View attachment 247447View attachment 247448View attachment 247449
I have the DBV2 TIP and fitment is perfect and the bung looks the same on mine. It's totally fine, doesn't affect anything. Also, you do know that that you are supposed to rotate the TIP to get the tabs lined up properly. The third tab, which you can't see when isntalling it because it's towards the bottom backside, is a bitch to get in but once you do, everything lines up nice and tight. I've taken mine off plenty of times and it's never been an issue nor does it leak at all.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
I also didn't have a great experience either with Dan when my dbv2 v2 journal turbo failed at 3k miles due to poor casting but Dan claimed something got sucked into the intake which isnt possible. Needless to say i got rid of the dbv2 after it cost me 750 to rebuild it since both housings were toast.

Attachments

• 20201013_172554.jpg
    20201013_172554.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
  • 20201013_172637.jpg
    20201013_172637.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 70

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
I have the DBV2 TIP and fitment is perfect and the bung looks the same on mine. It's totally fine, doesn't affect anything. Also, you do know that that you are supposed to rotate the TIP to get the tabs lined up properly. The third tab, which you can't see when isntalling it because it's towards the bottom backside, is a bitch to get in but once you do, everything lines up nice and tight. I've taken mine off plenty of times and it's never been an issue nor does it leak at all.
I figured maybe I installed it wrong, but it only goes in one way. I took it out out tried a second time, I could get the arm to line up with turbo and bolt it up but the tabs never set right.

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
The tabs on the inlet don't even come close to the recesses on the turbo?
I took pictures of the stock next to the DBV2 and you can see the tabs in relation to the arm are incorrectly oriented.

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
Don't forget your special one off turbo inlet to fit on your special IS38.
Audi really did make some special unicorn, like something from Legend with Dan from DBV2 subbing in for Tim Curry.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
If you think this is bad, you will find fault with all the others. There is some wiggle, and it doesn't look like it was locked in all the way. There is nothing wrong with how the bung is manufactured either.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
The picture has the wrong part of the arm lined up which is why the tabs aren't matching in orientation.