GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Datalogging?

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Anybody with experience data logging from a Mk7? Can I get brake pedal position, throttle pedal position, steering angle, etc. From obd2? Any recommendations for logging software/units? I have an obd11 but assuming it can't do this, I might be wrong though!

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
OBD11 might, it has access to a bunch of different modules on the car. That said I think the display and logging capability isnt very good at all. More useful in a troubleshooting type scenario where you're looking at some data real time to troubleshoot something.

Like Cliff said, we really need someone to reverse engineering the CAN data if we want to log this stuff in a track app such as Harrys or Racechrono or whatever.

I use racechrono and have a handful of ECU custom defined PIDs (boost, knock 1-4), but nothing like brake or steering position.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Obd11 can detect brake pressure, confirmed it tonight. Seems accurate and responsive too. Haven't found steering angle yet.

The problem seems to be that I can only log in one module at a time - so no throttle position + brake pressure. You can log rpm/speed/brake pressure which isn't half bad. I think it slows acquisition rate when you log more parameters tho.

So, accessible from obdii port for sure, but need the right CAN PIDs. Might have to buy a raspberry pi and brush up on python....

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Your OBDEleven device is reading the CAN bus data through the physical OBDII port. The OBDII software interface is limited to data that affects emissions. Track oriented data acquisition applications/devices such as Harry's Lap Timer, TrackAddict, or Solo 2 DL that connect to the car using the OBDII software interface are not going to pick up brake pressure or steering angle as this information is not transmitted through the OBDII software interface. As I noted in my post I linked to, you need a CAN bus driver usable by whatever data acquisition tool you are using. AiM has a software component included in its Race Studio 3 package for building CAN drivers for use with their Solo 2 DL devices connected via a specific cable spliced into the car's CAN bus (as mine is) so in theory it can be done.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Obd11 can detect brake pressure, confirmed it tonight. Seems accurate and responsive too. Haven't found steering angle yet.

The problem seems to be that I can only log in one module at a time - so no throttle position + brake pressure. You can log rpm/speed/brake pressure which isn't half bad. I think it slows acquisition rate when you log more parameters tho.

So, accessible from obdii port for sure, but need the right CAN PIDs. Might have to buy a raspberry pi and brush up on python....

I would love to dig into this stuff more, but it's over my knowledge level unfortunately. I thought maybe I could pick up something logging wireshark over USB with eurodyne, but unfortunately I don't think it's that simple, lol.

Here's all the info I have on custom PIDs to maybe help you get started.

EDIT: credit goes to: https://github.com/bri3d/MQBSimosLogVariables

To use these in Torque, set OBD Header to 7E0
Variable Name
Torque PID (0x22 + Identifier)
Equation
Units
Charge Pressure Actual / Pressure Upstream Throttle​
22 20 2A​
(A * 256 + B) * 0.1​
kPa​
Charge Pressure Specified​
22 20 29​
(A * 256 + B) * 0.1​
kPa​
Lambda Actual​
22 10 C0​
(A * 256 + B) * 0.000977​
lambda​
Lambda Specified​
22 14 56​
(A * 256 + B) * 0.000977​
lambda​
Wastegate Position Actual​
22 39 A2​
(A * 256 + B) * 0.01​
Wastegate Position Specified​
22 39 A3​
(A * 256 + B) * 0.01​
Timing Cylinder 1​
22 20 04​
(signed(A) * 256 + B) * 0.01​
deg​
Timing Correction Cylinder 1​
22 20 0A​
deg​
Timing Correction Cylinder 2​
22 20 0B​
deg​
Timing Correction Cylinder 3​
22 20 0C​
deg​
Timing Correction Cylinder 4​
22 20 0D​
deg​
Fuel Rail Pressure​
22 F4 23​
(A * 256 + B) * 10​
kPa​

Last edited:

andre5006

Me too; I’m an Autocrosser running a package of: Solo Storm Android App on a Samsung Tablet, QStarz BT-Q818XT Bluetooth GPS, OBDLink MX+ Scanner and GoPro WiFi camera.

But as with data-logging, getting useful/actionable information out of them is difficult. Currently believe that I can capture RPM and Throttle position for my 2017 GTI (G Street) but the Solo Storm charts detailing these reading are complex and difficult use for side-by-side comparisons. But I want more!

Any help/experience in that direction may help or overwhelm ;)

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Hey Folks - updating here - at some point obd11 updated and it's now giving me access to more data than before! This is all available through the "chart" view in the brake module.

I'm assuming the more data you log, the slower the update rate, but haven't yet confirmed. With all 3 i'm getting about 4hz, I assume just brake and throttle would get ~6hz. There are plenty more input signals here too, if you're interested in revs/boost/haldex engagement/etc. they're there. Given the sample rate it's certainly not the equivalent of a full-blown telemetry system, but it's a tool most of us already have. Combined with gopro GPS I can get a ton of lovely data and fairly easily sync it up (first braking point or a launch are good triggers).

I've confirmed this data works well with RaceRender, but don't have any example videos yet. I'll try to take one driving around tomorrow.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
OBD11 doesn't list the PIDs does it? As that's what you really need to pop it into another program to tap into the CANbus. I want to do this with an AIM solo 2 DL. But won't buy one until I think I can get this data. I can test it on Harry's first as that allows you to pop in custom PIDs.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Resurrect Bump.

Any progress on this subject.

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Very cool info for the CANBUS stuff. I tried getting it to work in Racechrono....but no joy. Still very experimental implementation in the app apparently.

I found a PID for brake pressure sensor, and it did give me valid data...but it did not change at all. So that was a bust.

I did get oil temp working though, info below:

Oil temp
Header: 7E0
PID: 22 20 2F
Equation: ( [2 bytes of data, unsigned] - 2731.4 ) / 10.0 ---this is for *C

Brake pressure (not working I believe)
Header: 7E0
PID: 22 20 05
Equation: 2 bytes, unknown

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I haven't had a chance to link it to a video yet but obd11 does pull steering angle and brake pressure direct from obd2! See post #8.