GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dashcam recommendations (People suck)

Manchu

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
I still think manufacturers should be putting USB ports somewhere in the rear view mirror to plug in dash cams, but that would be too easy.
Agreed. I've been putting off getting a dashcam since I really don't feel like messing with wiring it up.

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
Seems like I'm leaning towards to auto charging battery pack but since @Diggs24 (thank you for always being a wealth of knowledge) has already posted the answer of wiring, this may open things up for me.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I have a 2ch Blackvue that I really have no qualms with. DR590W-2CH. Have it hooked up to the Power Magic Pro, so it's recording 24/7. While most would consider it a 'downgrade', I've been meaning to swap to the one @Diggs24 has. His post on it. Quality of video looks decent, and I'm really liking how it's integrated into the mirror trim.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Another vote for VIOFO. I have the A129 DUO. Easy setup, software isn't bad, and recording quality is great. Only issue I have, which is not the dashcam's fault I believe, is my rear one just will not stick to the plastic trim of the hatch above the glass. Any suggestions would be highly recommended. I thought about using magnets but I am not sure if the magnets will fuck with the electronics of the camera.

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
I also have a Viofo A129. got it late last year, and direct wired it to the fuse box. Very good/clear footage, very good at night also (uses a Sony sensor) and has an optional GPS attachment. Used the footage two months ago, when a Lyft driver tried to make a right turn from the left lane and hit me. He lied and told my insurance that I changed lanes into him, so I sent in my dash cam video and he was found 100% at fault. F--k that guy, lol.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
My girlfriend got me a dashcam but I hadn't installed it yet. A week later some crackhead in a dodge ram threw a rock at my windshield as i was driving down the street. Now I need a new windshield and I'm rooting the bill because I don't have the plate of the guy who did it. You can believe I'm installing that dashcam now.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
I also have a Viofo A129. got it late last year, and direct wired it to the fuse box. Very good/clear footage, very good at night also (uses a Sony sensor) and has an optional GPS attachment. Used the footage two months ago, when a Lyft driver tried to make a right turn from the left lane and hit me. He lied and told my insurance that I changed lanes into him, so I sent in my dash cam video and he was found 100% at fault. F--k that guy, lol.
I heard that this camera uses a lot of memory. Uses something huge like 32g for every 1 hour of recording. I was thinking of getting the VIOFO A119V3, which is only the front camera. I'm guessing that would reduce the memory recorded in half to 16g for every hour. Still sounds like a lot though.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I heard that this camera uses a lot of memory. Uses something huge like 32g for every 1 hour of recording. I was thinking of getting the VIOFO A119V3, which is only the front camera. I'm guessing that would reduce the memory recorded in half to 16g for every hour. Still sounds like a lot though.

I have the Viofo. Excellent camera and very easy to use.

Never had an issue with memory. I just have the loop recording feature set for every 3 mins.

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG

Also have the A119V3, I have a 10min loop set and each file is approx 1.5-2gb on a 64gb Samsung High Endurance.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I have the Viofo. Excellent camera and very easy to use.

Never had an issue with memory. I just have the loop recording feature set for every 3 mins.
I also have the Viofo A129 front & rear. My experience is the same as @aloha_from_bradley. I also use the loop record at 3 minutes.

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
Something to keep in mind: Make sure to get a "high endurance" memory card for the dashcam. They'll last longer. I saw a reddit thread where the recommended replacement interval was each year, but that seems like a lot and could depend on how much you drive. Someone else in that same reddit thread said that they just keep a spare memory card in the glovebox so that you're ready to replace the one in the dashcam when it fails, then they order a new one to keep ready in the glovebox again.

I otherwise have a 4K Aukey dashcam that I really like. I'd provide a link if they were still available, but it got removed from Amazon when all Aukey products were purged a while back.

1 yr replacement is excessive, unless you're paranoid about losing footage. I would recommend pulling the card every 6 months or so (daily driving) and check the card for issues (corruption, videos not opening, etc) and replace as necessary.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
Also have the A119V3, I have a 10min loop set and each file is approx 1.5-2gb on a 64gb Samsung High Endurance.
So the loop is basically the end of a clip than it begings another 10 min clip? Is this just so when the memory card is getting full its not deleting a whole video of when you last drove but all the last mini clips of when you last drove? So what your saying is exactly the numbers I came up with for the Camera. After 1 hour it uses on average 16g of memory. Is there a Low and High setting on the camera?

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
So the loop is basically the end of a clip than it begings another 10 min clip? Is this just so when the memory card is getting full its not deleting a whole video of when you last drove but all the last mini clips of when you last drove? So what your saying is exactly the numbers I came up with for the Camera. After 1 hour it uses on average 16g of memory. Is there a Low and High setting on the camera?
Yes, every 10 min the camera starts a new video file and when the card is full, it will delete the oldest file(s) to make space. 3 and 5 min loops are also popular.
File sizes are dependant on the video resolution and options you choose. I'm recording at 2k,30fps,mp4, so yes a higher end 4k sensor will roughly double to file sizes. Cards aren't that expensive, so don't worry about file sizes, single camera get a 32 or 64gb, dual cam go with a 128gb.
If you are worried about corrupted cards, get two and swap them out periodically. Always get a good quality high endurance card, this is not the place to cheap out.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
Yes, every 10 min the camera starts a new video file and when the card is full, it will delete the oldest file(s) to make space. 3 and 5 min loops are also popular.
File sizes are dependant on the video resolution and options you choose. I'm recording at 2k,30fps,mp4, so yes a higher end 4k sensor will roughly double to file sizes. Cards aren't that expensive, so don't worry about file sizes, single camera get a 32 or 64gb, dual cam go with a 128gb.
If you are worried about corrupted cards, get two and swap them out periodically. Always get a good quality high endurance card, this is not the place to cheap out.
I was planning on having the park monitoring system available. I wonder if there is a way of just have it record when it senses something? Ill have to look more into it. Thanks!