GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dashboard Rattle

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Sorry for new thread, there is an existing thread but can't re-find it. My car has a slight rattle in the centre of the dashboard behind the infotainment, centre screen, sounds like a loose wiring only slight, but sufficient to drive one mad if not sorted. I read (in the thread I can't re-find) access can be gained in order to apply sanity-preserving insulating tape or cable ties to more firmly attach wiring to a metal bar, by removing the little driver's side cubby cover / door. I recall in order to remove the cubby door you press firmly on the sides whilst it's open and open it further then lift it clear, is this correct ? Info / confimation appreciated whilst sanity is still at a reasonabel level, as I know how these small rattles can escalate. Quickly.....

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Is it definitely coming from inside the dash area? Mine sometimes creaks a bit depending on how warm the weather is. If I lightly push on the trim just above the infotainment screen it goes away.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
That was me....& you are correct in your info...but I had the noise more on the drivers side (UK).

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Check the sound actor, may be loose.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Thanks for replies, gonna have me a proper look armed with a powerful torch (flashlite) and a big hammer as, well you never know ;). But, yeh it's defo coming from the centre of the console and does sound like loose wiring and, no, my car doesn't have the soundcator thingy.
Update (den, den, derrn) had me a good look, it's obvious what needs doing to renove cubby door, but as with underseat drawer way back in December, I bottled it / wussed out / chickened out for now in fear of breaking it. My big hammer is still handy, though - it didn't rattle at all today....

Last edited: