GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dash lit up like a Christmas tree, all errors under the sun. Turned off car, now it won't start. Turns on, but immediately turns off. Immobilizer?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So messing with the button was probably coincidental?

He didn't get that far. It started fine when he went down before even messing with the button.

Fliptrocity

Car(s)
8v S3 | B9 A4
So messing with the button was probably coincidental?
Didnt ever really get to mess with it...

I had gone down with the intent to hold it down after it fired up to see if it would stay running this time.

But once i got into the car i opened the door and DIDNT hear the FP prime this time... thought "oh the battery must be dead dead now because of all the fucking around with it earlier". Sure enough, tried to fire it up and got the telling clicks of the starter complaining of a dead battery.

Grabbed my jump pack (which i had done earlier today while trying to diagnose it) and if fired right up, without holding the button... TCS light came on but cleared after i took off around the block.

Scanned it with OBD11 and it didnt return anything serious. Shut it down and fired right back up again... drove another mile or so and everything was back to normal. Like it literally never happened.

Either way a new battery is probably in order, other than that......

idfk man.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Yup, VW things... Schematic for the start button here. Very simple to check, and a little redundancy built in to the poles.
Screenshot_20211221-202717.png

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I don’t know what’s wrong with it?!

Ahhh, Chinese.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So the issue randomly came back. He was coming home the other day, dash completely froze, infotainment turned off. Finished the drive fine, but then had the same issues with it not starting.

Alternator?

Weird... all the "other" systems will fail with low battery voltage. Somewhere from 9-10V you'll start getting failures. But since you put your battery in that should be ruled out. An immo problem shouldn't generate all those errors, but should give you an Immobilizer Active message (or something like that).

I wonder if the alternator took a crap. I would think the car might start then shut right off due to the battery voltage drop. Push-button start?

One of the things he said, is when the dash froze, the voltage froze at 14.xx. Which I've never seen it that low while driving. That's making me think the alternator.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
14.4-6 is what a battery should read while the alternator is running.
Trash that fake ass dash.

He is today to see if that fixes it.

Either way, I'm pretty sure this happening a second time sealed the cars fate to getting traded in 😂

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Because he put junk china parts on it? Not its fault..,.

Hey now, I have the same junk China part without issue 🤣

(for now)

The part that leads me away from thinking it's the dash, is it's basically just a display change. Like swapping from the matte screen to the glass screen. It's the same board you take out of your normal dash and swap it over.

But, everybody knows electronics in these cars are unexplainable 😂

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
OEM cluster in. Same issues. So the Chinese dash isn't to blame.

His car is 100% getting traded in the moment it starts again lol.