GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dash cam wiring: tapping into power in overhead console?

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I know many people have installed dash cams and hardwired them to the fuse box.

I don't want to run a wire down to the fuse box. I'd prefer to tap into existing power at the overhead console. Has anyone done this?

If I'm reading the wiring diagram correctly, there is a 6-pin connector that supplies power and ground (programmed ground from the BCM) to the overhead lights. Pin 1 provides constant 12V while pin 6 provides ground from the BCM whenever the car is switched on, and for 10 minutes after key off. That would work out okay for me.

Just wanted to know if anyone has attempted this.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
In for this. I just got a dash cam and would rather wire to the overhead lights. I currently have my radar detector wired to the fuse box and don't want to run another wire through there.

Which cam did you get? My GF got me a nextbase for christmas but I found it to be too eye catching. Exchanged it for a Garmin Dashcam Mini which should be coming today.

relive

Ready to race!
Yes, this has been done. Before the availability of parking mode and low voltage cut-off kits, wiring to the dome lights allowed you to get 5-10 minutes of extra recording after exiting the car.

You just need to be careful that the circuit switches off (and stays off) after 10 minutes. The circuit switches on if you open any door, so it is not necessary to turn on the ignition to reset the timer. If you are going to wire in that location, you would presumably not have room for a low voltage cut-off, so you need to make sure that the battery won't drain.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Yes, this has been done. Before the availability of parking mode and low voltage cut-off kits, wiring to the dome lights allowed you to get 5-10 minutes of extra recording after exiting the car.

You just need to be careful that the circuit switches off (and stays off) after 10 minutes. The circuit switches on if you open any door, so it is not necessary to turn on the ignition to reset the timer. If you are going to wire in that location, you would presumably not have room for a low voltage cut-off, so you need to make sure that the battery won't drain.

Understood. I'd actually prefer hardwiring it to constant 12V / hard ground and let parking mode do its thing. I can do that, there's no reason I can't ground to chassis up at the console as long as there's a screw/bolt hole somewhere up there.

Which cam did you get? My GF got me a nextbase for christmas but I found it to be too eye catching. Exchanged it for a Garmin Dashcam Mini which should be coming today.

I haven't gotten one yet, was going to get a generic mini cam, but after looking at the Garmin, I really like the tiny size! I might just get that one. :)

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I haven't gotten one yet, was going to get a generic mini cam, but after looking at the Garmin, I really like the tiny size! I might just get that one. :)

If you wait a bit, I may be able to tell you if it's okay. The Nextbase 522GW my GF got me had all the right features, but it just stuck out like a sore thumb. The little garmin looks like it will just blend in with the mirror area. It would probably look more like a driver assist sensor. I was going to get VIAFO A119 V3 but saw reports that it had problems in the cold. It may not be the best option for us NE people.