GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DAP Video :Camshaft issues

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
More stuff to worry about. I guess I'll be doing some obd11 scanning tomorrow.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
More stuff to worry about. I guess I'll be doing some obd11 scanning tomorrow.
He reiterates so many times that you just need to keep oil in the car, but also states that the owner of the GTI has kept it up meticulously. So, I'm confused. Like, are we talking so low that you get a warning in the car? Halfway down the hashed part of the dip stick? Anything lower than Max? haha

Rollux

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 1.4TSi
Sooooo many issues avoidable for pretty much all cars with regular maintenance and checks.
We tell customers they should check oil, water and tyre pressures every time they fill the car with fuel as a minimum as it helps spot issues before they become issues!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
After making fun of Jetta owners & not taking care of their cars, I get this today. Lol

20230125_125219.jpg

It was at the bottom of the dipstick. Added 2 quarts to top of normal range. Only been 3500 miles since oil change & no track days, but 2 AutoX.

Anyways, I tried doing the live data for the parameters he stated, but just get 0.0. Does the 1.8 not have sensors like the GTI. Can't imagine that. I posted on the DAP video, but if anyone knows.

Also I did have the car running.

Last edited:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Anyways, I tried doing the live data for the parameters he started, but just get 0.0. Does the 1.8 not have sensors line the GTI. Can't imagine that. I posted on the DAP video, bit of anyone knows.
I plan on giving this a go today over my lunch break, so I'll report back. It's a GTI, so not a 1:1 comparison, but maybe at least another data point on if mine doesn't read it as well.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Well the 1.8 doesn't have variable exhaust cam timing but the intake cam should be readable. Probably because OBD11 is shit.
I guess I'll ask my shop to do it next time I go

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
So, I'm confused. Like, are we talking so low that you get a warning in the car? Halfway down the hashed part of the dip stick? Anything lower than Max? haha

I also checked it right away after this video lol, like @MonkeyMD I am also ~3,500 mi into the the oil change but the dip stick is still at about 40% filled.... guess ill add a bit just in case, didn't want mix in the Castrol euro 0w40 I have at hand with the fancy Liqui "Molygen" 5w40 the shop put on...

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I also checked it right away after this video lol, like @MonkeyMD I am also ~3,500 mi into the the oil change but the dip stick is still at about 40% filled.... guess ill add a bit just in case, didn't want mix in the Castrol euro 0w40 I have at hand with the fancy Liqui "Molygen" 5w40 the shop put on...
molygen doesn't even have vw approval, mix away

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
As you know @scrllock , I like my Walmart cheap Castrol "euro" oil lol, always bring that to my shop but this last time they forgot to make note and used that Molygen hype oil they fill up all their VW/Audis with....

First experience with it, also I tuned my car from stock to stage 2 at the start of the oil change period and it actually consumed oil for the first time, before it was insignificant..... still nothing compared to my MK5, etc...

Obviously its the tune, ill see how the Castrol does next time... I saw you got the new weight 5w40, but I think I will keep on trucking with the old "0w40" bc it comes on the 5qt bottles.....and I am hopeful that lighter cold temp viscosity will help a bit with getting oil to the bearings faster when cranking it cold on the morning..... still on the stock clutch but still scared of crank walk...

scrllock

Autocross Champion
As you know @scrllock , I like my Walmart cheap Castrol "euro" oil lol, always bring that to my shop but this last time they forgot to make note and used that Molygen hype oil they fill up all their VW/Audis with....

First experience with it, also I tuned my car from stock to stage 2 at the start of the oil change period and it actually consumed oil for the first time, before it was insignificant..... still nothing compared to my MK5, etc...

Obviously its the tune, ill see how the Castrol does next time... I saw you got the new weight 5w40, but I think I will keep on trucking with the old "0w40" bc it comes on the 5qt bottles.....and I am hopeful that lighter cold temp viscosity will help a bit with getting oil to the bearings faster when cranking it cold on the morning..... still on the stock clutch but still scared of crank walk...
i think you've got that backwards, that's old 2014-spec 5w30, though there is a new vw504 approved 5w30 (5w-30 k vs. the old 5w-30 a3/b4). the 0w40 you linked came out a few months ago. I am not concerned about viscosity at -30C and a 30 weight will be safe to throw boost at a bit earlier than a 40 weight, but I do have a couple bottles of M1 0w40 to go through after this.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Well I know for a fact that "Euro" 0w40 has been in the shelves for like 5 years or more, I used to buy it exclusively for my MK5..... it was all the rage on this forum back then.

I called the 5w40 "new" but I had seen it on their website for a long long time, I just had never seen it on the stores, only the 5w30..... (talking about the "Euro" versions of the Edge brand only)

But I wanted the "40" weight operating temp viscosity, especially now that it seems I do burn oil after all lol, and bc of the crank bearings... will proably stay with their 0w40 weight again....

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
He reiterates so many times that you just need to keep oil in the car, but also states that the owner of the GTI has kept it up meticulously. So, I'm confused. Like, are we talking so low that you get a warning in the car? Halfway down the hashed part of the dip stick? Anything lower than Max? haha
After 140K miles....the seals wore to the point of failure inside the cam...it had 140K on it.... 🤷‍♂️

....but the #1 cause for failure by far is....not having Fing oil in the car...prematurely wearing the seals inside the cam.

per the F....ing manual....keep the oil between hashed marks on the dipstick

going an entire year and 10K between oil changes isnt helping either. Every 6 months reguardless of mileage, and staying out of boost until the car is warm, will keep these cars going passed 120K, without them burning quarts of oil between changes...

Last edited: