GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DAP Video :Camshaft issues

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
After making fun of Jetta owners & not taking care of their cars, I get this today. Lol

View attachment 271254

It was at the bottom of the dipstick. Added 2 quarts to top of normal range. Only been 3500 miles since oil change & no track days, but 2 AutoX.

Anyways, I tried doing the live data for the parameters he started, but just get 0.0. Does the 1.8 not have sensors line the GTI. Can't imagine that. I posted on the DAP video, bit of anyone knows.

Also I did have the car running.
2 quarts in 3500 miles....that's excessive...even for a motor with 135K on it....are you one of the once a year or 10K oil changers? and you fuel pump probably hates you are well...

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
2 quarts in 3500 miles....that's excessive...even for a motor with 135K on it....are you one of the once a year or 10K oil changers? and you fuel pump probably hates you are well...

Yeah. Not seeing any smoke or leaks anywhere. I do get seepage from cap, bit doubt it would account for that much.

Did 10k changes until I started tracking, now 5k changes.

Yeah. I'm one of those run out till it's under E

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
SimosTools has mode22 logging. Can see and log intake and exhaust cam timing (if so equipped) along with quite a few other items. Perhaps time to move into technology from the 2020s?
What do you need for this...I guess I'll go read the thread on it

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Yeah. Not seeing any smoke or leaks anywhere. I do get seepage from cap, bit doubt it would account for that much.

Did 10k changes until I started tracking, now 5k changes.

Yeah. I'm one of those run out till it's under E
the truth is revealed...5K and tracking....wow....

Have you ever done any oil analysis? Are you doing multiple HPDE events on the same oil over a 5k interval? brutal....

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Have you ever done any oil analysis? Are you doing multiple HPDE events on the same oil over a 5k interval? brutal....
No & possibly.

Even with 5k changes & tracking, synthetic oil will stay stable. Might send a sample next oil change just out of curiosity

Edit : kit requested

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
guess you will :poop:
Starting down the rabbit hole.

Just curious, is it possible to tune the 1.8 using this?
Always felt like my tune was very conservative & I can probably go back to Reflect to get a custom tune, but would be interesting to have another option.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
It is possible but why not just ask Ian to make it more spicy?

That's probably the easier option. Just seeing if it's possible.

Also been hesitant because more boost, more problems.

More heat on track.
Figuring out catch cans which I don't have to worry about right now... Or maybe I do based on oil loss.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Well the 1.8 doesn't have variable exhaust cam timing but the intake cam should be readable. Probably because OBD11 is shit.
It's readable...the reason it's 0 is because that's what it's supposed to be. OBDEleven works just fine and can anything VCDS can. The issue is the refresh rate for logging - yeah, that sucks donkey balls. I did some logging at the track last weekend with the Simostools...very slick. Here was mine when I was checking after my timing chain tensioner took a dump. After repair was the same. Posted on the GSW/AT FB group to capture a range from folks and they varied but mainly hovered around 0 and I seem to recall finding the range and it was *maybe* 5 to -5? to look at chain stretch/health (can't remember where I found that or maybe the shop gave me that info...

Screenshot_20220509-155359_OBDeleven.jpg

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I also checked it right away after this video lol, like @MonkeyMD I am also ~3,500 mi into the the oil change but the dip stick is still at about 40% filled.... guess ill add a bit just in case, didn't want mix in the Castrol euro 0w40 I have at hand with the fancy Liqui "Molygen" 5w40 the shop put on...
Mix away, will have no issues...really similar oils. The Molygen is just a basic 5W40 Euro oil with some tungsten added....it's actually not that great IMHO based on my testing/analysis. It shears down to a 30W more readily than the Leichlauf High Tech. That Castrol is arguably a much better oil with better base stock.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
As you know @scrllock , I like my Walmart cheap Castrol "euro" oil lol, always bring that to my shop but this last time they forgot to make note and used that Molygen hype oil they fill up all their VW/Audis with....

First experience with it, also I tuned my car from stock to stage 2 at the start of the oil change period and it actually consumed oil for the first time, before it was insignificant..... still nothing compared to my MK5, etc...

Obviously its the tune, ill see how the Castrol does next time... I saw you got the new weight 5w40, but I think I will keep on trucking with the old "0w40" bc it comes on the 5qt bottles.....and I am hopeful that lighter cold temp viscosity will help a bit with getting oil to the bearings faster when cranking it cold on the morning..... still on the stock clutch but still scared of crank walk...
0 and 5 winter rating oils are effectively the same w/r to cold start unless you are starting it below -30F.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
That's probably the easier option. Just seeing if it's possible.

Also been hesitant because more boost, more problems.

More heat on track.
Figuring out catch cans which I don't have to worry about right now... Or maybe I do based on oil loss.
I changed out my stock PCV for the Audi version (S3...don't have part no. handy but in my build thread) after having some Spy Hunter smoke screen action at the track last year. It hasn't returned with the new PCV and bonus of no catch can.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

I typically do 5K changes and that can include 2-days of HPDE without drama and have done UOAs since new os have actual trend data that is meaningful not just a single UOA that really doesn't tell you much. The oil/additive pack is fine/holds up but it's the fuel dilution/viscosity shearing that *can* be an issue. I've since switched over to a boutique oil by a company called High Performance Lubricants - they produce all sorts of lubricants for both racing and HD industrial applications. Great shit. PAO/ester base stock so the most you will get w/r to holding up to severe use like track. I'm not overly concerned with a few track days and 5K miles. No oil consumption at all at 90K tuned since nearly new and IS38 etc. etc. for the last few years.

https://www.hplubricants.com
20221009_125302.jpg

Last edited: