GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Daks' GTI

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
@Daks whats good my dude?
What's up gang. Still alive. Just had a very intense month at work. Been on a a plane 16 times in in three weeks - hotels, late nights with clients, lots of boozing, only as few workout sessions and my body was like - yeah, you're not 25 anymore bud - and shut down - picked up a wicked cold last Thursday, flew in home late last night. Drove the GTI for the first time in like a month, car feels good. Was merging on an onramp that has a pretty hard right turn; I was in second, gave it the beans - lots of torque, Indy's were like: nah, we're done; massive understeer - nearly smashed into the curb at like 50MPH with the wheels turned; they corrected at literally the last second. Suffice it to say, this is the last season with the Indy's. I'll be back with my usual low value bullshit in a few days. Much love boys.

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
What's up gang. Still alive. Just had a very intense month at work. Been on a a plane 16 times in in three weeks - hotels, late nights with clients, lots of boozing, only as few workout sessions and my body was like - yeah, you're not 25 anymore bud - and shut down - picked up a wicked cold last Thursday, flew in home late last night. Drove the GTI for the first time in like a month, car feels good. Was merging on an onramp that has a pretty hard right turn; I was in second, gave it the beans - lots of torque, Indy's were like: nah, we're done; massive understeer - nearly smashed into the curb at like 50MPH with the wheels turned; they corrected at literally the last second. Suffice it to say, this is the last season with the Indy's. I'll be back with my usual low value bullshit in a few days. Much love boys.

Glad to hear you're still around!

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Haven't really touched the car in the past 3/4 months. I need to check/change the oil, sunroof started to leak a bit from the panel. I gotta buy that seal kit and slap some on, hopefully that solves it. Roads are... constantly some sort of wet and i am on winter rubber, i have not revved the car past 3k in 3/4 months. Drives fine. I have a few things to do some spring time: install spulen catch can, h&r sway, buy shocks and change suspension, and figure out cyl 3 misfire. I asked ChatGP

Why do I have a cylinder 3 misfire in my mk7 gti. I have an upgraded turbo, i replaced the plugs with colder plugs.

A "cylinder 3 misfire" in a Volkswagen GTI with an upgraded turbo could have several possible causes. Some common causes of misfires include issues with the spark plugs or ignition coils, a problem with the fuel injector for that cylinder, or a vacuum leak in the intake system.
It's possible that the colder spark plugs you installed may not be the correct heat range for your engine, which can cause misfires. It's also possible that the upgrade turbo caused more pressure and cause more heat, this can cause the spark plugs to burn off faster than normal.
Another possibility is that the ignition coil for cylinder 3 has failed. It's also possible that the fuel injector for that cylinder is clogged or not functioning correctly.
A vacuum leak in the intake system can also cause a misfire. Vacuum leaks can be caused by a number of things, such as a cracked or loose hose or a failed vacuum actuator.
It's recommended to perform a diagnostic check with a OBD scanner to determine the exact cause of the misfire, and then address the problem accordingly.

Thank you. I replaced the injector already, as well as the ignition coil, but i have not checked the intake system. Do you think it could be related to the engine speed sensor

It's possible that the issue could be related to the engine speed sensor (also known as a crankshaft position sensor or CKP sensor). The CKP sensor sends signals to the engine control module (ECM) about the position and speed of the crankshaft, which the ECM uses to control the ignition timing and fuel injection. If the CKP sensor is not working correctly, it can cause a misfire in one or more cylinders.
It's also possible that the problem could be caused by a faulty camshaft position sensor, which works in conjunction with the CKP sensor to control the timing of the engine.
Given that you've already replaced the injector and ignition coil, I would recommend checking the intake system for vacuum leaks and also checking the engine speed sensor to see if it's working correctly. If the problem persists, it would be best to consult a professional mechanic or dealership for further diagnosis.

the misfire happens every time at 6700 rpm

If the misfire in your GTI only happens at a specific RPM, such as 6700 RPM, it could indicate an issue with the engine's ignition or fuel system. Some possible causes for this could include:
  • Ignition timing: If the ignition timing is not set correctly for your engine, it can cause a misfire at high RPMs.
  • Fuel pressure: If the fuel pressure is not correct, it can cause a misfire at high RPMs.
  • Air/fuel ratio: If the air/fuel ratio is not correct, it can cause a misfire at high RPMs.
  • Exhaust: If the exhaust system is not functioning properly, it can cause a misfire at high RPMs.
It is also possible that this issue is caused by a problem with the engine control module (ECM), which controls the engine's ignition and fuel systems. A malfunctioning ECM could cause a misfire at specific RPMs.
It is recommended to check the engine's ignition and fuel system, as well as the exhaust system. Also, it is recommended to check the engine control module for any malfunction or error codes that may be causing the problem. It might be best to consult a professional mechanic or dealership for further diagnosis.

i had the car professionally tuned to accomodate all the modifications

If your car has been professionally tuned to accommodate the upgraded turbo and other modifications, it is likely that the cause of the misfire at 6700 RPM could be related to the tuning itself.
A professional tuner should have done a thorough check on the engine, including the ignition and fuel system, as well as the exhaust system, and made any necessary adjustments to ensure optimal performance and to prevent issues like misfires.
It's possible that the tuner may have overlooked something or that there was an issue with the tuning process. It's possible that the tuner did not adjust the air/fuel ratio, or that the ignition timing is not set correctly, which can cause the misfire at high RPMs.
It's recommended to contact the tuner who worked on the car and explain the issue you're experiencing. They should be able to provide a solution or further diagnosis.
Keep in mind that if the car was tuned for high performance, it's expected to have some issues with the engine, it's important to check the engine's performance regularly and have it serviced by a professional.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Haven't really touched the car in the past 3/4 months. I need to check/change the oil, sunroof started to leak a bit from the panel. I gotta buy that seal kit and slap some on, hopefully that solves it. Roads are... constantly some sort of wet and i am on winter rubber, i have not revved the car past 3k in 3/4 months. Drives fine. I have a few things to do some spring time: install spulen catch can, h&r sway, buy shocks and change suspension, and figure out cyl 3 misfire. I asked ChatGP

Why do I have a cylinder 3 misfire in my mk7 gti. I have an upgraded turbo, i replaced the plugs with colder plugs.

A "cylinder 3 misfire" in a Volkswagen GTI with an upgraded turbo could have several possible causes. Some common causes of misfires include issues with the spark plugs or ignition coils, a problem with the fuel injector for that cylinder, or a vacuum leak in the intake system.
It's possible that the colder spark plugs you installed may not be the correct heat range for your engine, which can cause misfires. It's also possible that the upgrade turbo caused more pressure and cause more heat, this can cause the spark plugs to burn off faster than normal.
Another possibility is that the ignition coil for cylinder 3 has failed. It's also possible that the fuel injector for that cylinder is clogged or not functioning correctly.
A vacuum leak in the intake system can also cause a misfire. Vacuum leaks can be caused by a number of things, such as a cracked or loose hose or a failed vacuum actuator.
It's recommended to perform a diagnostic check with a OBD scanner to determine the exact cause of the misfire, and then address the problem accordingly.

Thank you. I replaced the injector already, as well as the ignition coil, but i have not checked the intake system. Do you think it could be related to the engine speed sensor

It's possible that the issue could be related to the engine speed sensor (also known as a crankshaft position sensor or CKP sensor). The CKP sensor sends signals to the engine control module (ECM) about the position and speed of the crankshaft, which the ECM uses to control the ignition timing and fuel injection. If the CKP sensor is not working correctly, it can cause a misfire in one or more cylinders.
It's also possible that the problem could be caused by a faulty camshaft position sensor, which works in conjunction with the CKP sensor to control the timing of the engine.
Given that you've already replaced the injector and ignition coil, I would recommend checking the intake system for vacuum leaks and also checking the engine speed sensor to see if it's working correctly. If the problem persists, it would be best to consult a professional mechanic or dealership for further diagnosis.

the misfire happens every time at 6700 rpm

If the misfire in your GTI only happens at a specific RPM, such as 6700 RPM, it could indicate an issue with the engine's ignition or fuel system. Some possible causes for this could include:
  • Ignition timing: If the ignition timing is not set correctly for your engine, it can cause a misfire at high RPMs.
  • Fuel pressure: If the fuel pressure is not correct, it can cause a misfire at high RPMs.
  • Air/fuel ratio: If the air/fuel ratio is not correct, it can cause a misfire at high RPMs.
  • Exhaust: If the exhaust system is not functioning properly, it can cause a misfire at high RPMs.
It is also possible that this issue is caused by a problem with the engine control module (ECM), which controls the engine's ignition and fuel systems. A malfunctioning ECM could cause a misfire at specific RPMs.
It is recommended to check the engine's ignition and fuel system, as well as the exhaust system. Also, it is recommended to check the engine control module for any malfunction or error codes that may be causing the problem. It might be best to consult a professional mechanic or dealership for further diagnosis.

i had the car professionally tuned to accomodate all the modifications

If your car has been professionally tuned to accommodate the upgraded turbo and other modifications, it is likely that the cause of the misfire at 6700 RPM could be related to the tuning itself.
A professional tuner should have done a thorough check on the engine, including the ignition and fuel system, as well as the exhaust system, and made any necessary adjustments to ensure optimal performance and to prevent issues like misfires.
It's possible that the tuner may have overlooked something or that there was an issue with the tuning process. It's possible that the tuner did not adjust the air/fuel ratio, or that the ignition timing is not set correctly, which can cause the misfire at high RPMs.
It's recommended to contact the tuner who worked on the car and explain the issue you're experiencing. They should be able to provide a solution or further diagnosis.
Keep in mind that if the car was tuned for high performance, it's expected to have some issues with the engine, it's important to check the engine's performance regularly and have it serviced by a professional.
Is there anything ChatGPT can't do?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Is there anything ChatGPT can't do?

Entertain some members in the CSB thread.

While it said a lot, it doesn't look like it really said anything helpful.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Entertain some members in the CSB thread.

While it said a lot, it doesn't look like it really said anything helpful.
You're right. You need to treat it as a glorified auto complete because that's what it is.

sirnerdington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI S w/DSG
No wonder Google is working on this. This feels exactly like a Search 2.0. A machine learning interface that allows for querying the internet's knowledge database in a "natural" conversation interaction.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Some time has passed since I updated this thread. I drive the gti every day, but I started to treat it like a normal car, one that I don't really care about. The interior is dirty. The inside of the windshield needs to get cleaned, the sunroof is leaking, I still have that misfire, although I haven't encountered it as I haven't come close to redline since winter started. All these things kinda started to make me fall out of love with the car.

I started to look at other cars. I drove a 2020 audi s4 today. It was awesome. That interior is really a special place. The car was the asshole blue, kinda like cornflower and had these light gray seats. It was mint. I loved it. It had the sport package, which included the rear diff. Many have said that it feels big and cumbersome. It didn't to me. I'm not a race car driver, I rarely take turns hard, I just rip it on the highway, and the s4 was meant for that. It fit me, and it fit me well. I was going to buy it today. I negotiated the price to 58k cad out the door, taxes in. I went to my car to grab my satchel (yes, I have one, I carry a lot of shit). As I was walking back to the gti, the sun shined on it at just the right angle, the led tails looked nice, and for whatever reason the car looked clean. My intent was to sell it, I don't want two cars. But as I grabbed my satchel, those plaid seats greeted me, I smiled back at them. And then I saw my manual shifter. I don't care what anyone says about the mk7 manual transmission, to me, it's great, again, I'm not a race car driver, just a 40 year old dude that's driven relatively fast street cars all his life. I can appreciate a good transmission, and to me, this is one. The gearing is the tits. Winding out that third gear on a hybrid turbo when the roads are dry is a special feeling. One I didn't really get with the s4, cause, well, auto, gross.

I logged into my banking app, I was planning to pay for the s4 in cash. And well, my account looked a fuck tonne better with 58k in it than without it.

I'm keeping the gti, and I'm going to start testing it like I used to. I can't let this love die. I put a lot of time and effort to get this car to where it is today, and realistically it's excellent.

So, come spring, new suspension - do I have to take it to the dealer for this dcc fuckery? Or is it plug and play? I never took my car out of sport mode since I got it. To me dcc is a nuisance, but whatever, I have it. So yeah, new suspension. Should I get new springs as well? I don't want to lower it, I want to keep it stock height, maybe those driver gear springs at most. I also have a few things waiting to be installed, an h&r rear sway, catch can (might just sell this thing though). I'll also get new coils, cause why not, rs3 ones, but black, because I don't wear red thongs, like @Acadia18. I'll grab @storablecomas grounding kit, fix those little rust spots on the rear wheel well, and blast the bottom with some black ruatoleum.

That's the plan. Today, I gave it new predator blood.

Let's go GTI.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I went to my car to grab my satchel (yes, I have one, I carry a lot of shit).

It's ok man, Indiana Jones wears one.

satchel-man-purse.gif

Winding out that third gear on a hybrid turbo when the roads are dry is a special feeling.

Let me tell you something, you never stop missing that. I love my R, and am happier in my R than my GTI. By all accounts I think it's a better car. But when you have a stretch of highway in front of you and can wind out third to 7200 on a hybrid, it is something special indeed.