GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Daks' GTI

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
Doesn't that annoy you though if it doesn't actually fix the problem? I would rather diagnose and spend $ once to fix it the first time.
100%. You would think with newer cars everything would be monitored, but there is still so much trouble shooting needed sometimes. Like when my cat was clogged. I did everything you could think of. Second to last thing was buying a new one which ended up being way cheaper than a new turbo. Lol

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
From Matt:

When I asked about the speed sensor:

Not necessarily. When you break it down frame by frame it’s common to see the same RPM value for several frames, or even a later frame with a slightly lower RPM value shown. This is especially true with FWD cars because they’re usually near the limits of traction so every little inconsistency in the road is more visible than with AWDs. Going back to when this issue first occurred, I never saw a clear cause in the logs. I reviewed your latest log and your tune again. Fuel pressure is perfect, injector pulse widths are normal, AFR reading is stable, MAP and PUT sensor readings look fine, camshafts are in their commanded positions, fuel trims are consistent, etc. There are no hiccups in the RPM curve, boost dips, or AFR spikes which would be the typical indicators of misfire.

Do you actually feel or hear a misfire from the driver’s seat before the car throws the code and faceplants? Audible pops, maybe a “fish bite” feeling when a cylinder doesn’t ignite? The misfire detection is pretty good, but its not perfect. Occasionally (usually on built motors that are looser and therefore make more mechanical noise) the ECU will register noise / vibration as a misfire when there isn’t one. If the car feels silky smooth the then just faceplants with a misfire code, I have to wonder if there is actually a misfire, or if you’re getting a false code from unrelated noise/vibration. I see plenty of cars with actual misfires that never register a misfire code…it usually takes a significant and sustained misfire to trip a misfire code.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Cobb can't log misfires?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
From Matt:

When I asked about the speed sensor:

Not necessarily. When you break it down frame by frame it’s common to see the same RPM value for several frames, or even a later frame with a slightly lower RPM value shown. This is especially true with FWD cars because they’re usually near the limits of traction so every little inconsistency in the road is more visible than with AWDs. Going back to when this issue first occurred, I never saw a clear cause in the logs. I reviewed your latest log and your tune again. Fuel pressure is perfect, injector pulse widths are normal, AFR reading is stable, MAP and PUT sensor readings look fine, camshafts are in their commanded positions, fuel trims are consistent, etc. There are no hiccups in the RPM curve, boost dips, or AFR spikes which would be the typical indicators of misfire.

Do you actually feel or hear a misfire from the driver’s seat before the car throws the code and faceplants? Audible pops, maybe a “fish bite” feeling when a cylinder doesn’t ignite? The misfire detection is pretty good, but its not perfect. Occasionally (usually on built motors that are looser and therefore make more mechanical noise) the ECU will register noise / vibration as a misfire when there isn’t one. If the car feels silky smooth the then just faceplants with a misfire code, I have to wonder if there is actually a misfire, or if you’re getting a false code from unrelated noise/vibration. I see plenty of cars with actual misfires that never register a misfire code…it usually takes a significant and sustained misfire to trip a misfire code.
sooo there's nothing you can do other then just deal with it?

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
So you've been having the car fall flat on its face around 6700 rpm? AFR setpoint jumps way up at that RPM. Doesn't seem right to me.

1665000153294.png

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Oh, I see what you're saying, that's the set point, why is the set point so high is what you are asking.

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Lambda setpoint goes back to 1. I'd have them take a look at your lambda tables again.

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Oh, I see what you're saying, that's the set point, why is the set point so high is what you are asking.
Yeah. It shouldn't be 14.7 at full load.