GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Daks' GTI

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
They do. When I'm bored I take it out and look at it.

This one came with a muffler delete
Do you blow into it to get it spinning.

Just be careful with overboost

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Do you blow into it to get it spinning.

Just be careful with overboost

kanye-west-laugh.gif

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I came to a decision today. Once the turbo is installed I'm going to get the car dyno tuned. I don't wanna mess around with logging and potentially losing my license in the process. I just need to decide by whom, but it's looking like eqt most likely.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I came to a decision today. Once the turbo is installed I'm going to get the car dyno tuned. I don't wanna mess around with logging and potentially losing my license in the process. I just need to decide by whom, but it's looking like eqt most likely.
Great decision. EQT did mine remotely. 8 revisions 3 hours and done.

Mreed055

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yea, the whole etune thing I see on all these build threads is so long and drawn out, much prefer to just one and done it.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Great decision. EQT did mine remotely. 8 revisions 3 hours and done.

Yea, the whole etune thing I see on all these build threads is so long and drawn out, much prefer to just one and done it.

How far in advance do you get the base map though? There's definitely room for headache with a remote dyno tune if things aren't perfectly ironed out going into it. Some things, which may not be apparent until you're already into the tuning process.

Looking at my own experience for example, I was four or five revisions in before it became apparent something was wrong with my HPFP. That would have caused me to have to stop the tuning process, rebook the dyno, rebook Ed, all probably at additional costs.

If your car is good to go, and your 100% sure of it, I'd absolutely say remote dyno tune is the way to go. But just keep in mind, there's still room for complications.

Mreed055

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I guess it depends on the shop and the situation. I usually leave fueling to the shop doing my Dyno tuning in the past, had a fuel pump issue with my walbro 450 during tuning, took it out swapped a new one in, kept going.

As far as base map to get there, I’ll usualy just ask them if it’d be ok to drive to them with the mods, usually it’s ok, just say no wot of course, low rpm’s.

I used to have shops do the big installs like turbo and fueling, but since I bought my house I got less cash to spare for 800$ installation bills lol.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
How far in advance do you get the base map though? There's definitely room for headache with a remote dyno tune if things aren't perfectly ironed out going into it. Some things, which may not be apparent until you're already into the tuning process.

Looking at my own experience for example, I was four or five revisions in before it became apparent something was wrong with my HPFP. That would have caused me to have to stop the tuning process, rebook the dyno, rebook Ed, all probably at additional costs.

If your car is good to go, and your 100% sure of it, I'd absolutely say remote dyno tune is the way to go. But just keep in mind, there's still room for complications.
The only base map I had was the one running my IS38. I went right from the place that installed the TPC20 using the IS38 base map to the dyno place very carefully. Put it on dyno and 8 revisions later it was done. Needless to say the first two runs didn't get very far.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Yeah yours was an unusual circumstance because of a faulty HPFP. I didn't have any mechanical problems to deal with.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
When you going to be looking at doing the install? I know you've said "Spring", but that's a wide variable. I'd say we're in Spring now...

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Are you kidding me? We got 44cm of snow on Monday, it's now freezing rain and - 30 celcius. We are so far away from spring. End of April /beginning of May. I'm gonna take a day or two off work and just enjoy working on the car.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Are you kidding me? We got 44cm of snow on Monday, it's now freezing rain and - 30 celcius. We are so far away from spring. End of April /beginning of May. I'm gonna take a day or two off work and just enjoy working on the car.

Bro just throw everything in the boot of your car and make a road trip down to RI. I got a Doctor Heater in my garage :ROFLMAO:

You have far more patience than me. My holdup wasn't weather, but after I week I was like "Yeah I'm going to buy a 2nd tune so I don't have to wait..."

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Bro just throw everything in the boot of your car and make a road trip down to RI. I got a Doctor Heater in my garage :ROFLMAO:

You have far more patience than me. My holdup wasn't weather, but after I week I was like "Yeah I'm going to buy a 2nd tune so I don't have to wait..."
We could do a turbo, mounts and hpfp in a day I think, no problem. But then I'd have to have a dyno near you lined up and the tuner ready to go the next day... Let me get my carbon cleaning done. Oh I'm also grabbing a neuspeed cat back off a local here, 750 CAD. That's happening on Sunday. Can't wait for a bit more noise. I also gotta fix that stupid intake rattle that's been driving me nuts.

Last edited:

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
Metric is just a method to make it seem like these things are more extreme. 44cm in freedom units is just a dusting.